Mid year NSW case swap - tasting notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tophers dodgy tasting notes take 1. Two nice beers!

Reman's Hefe:

Heaps more banana than my Hefes......although I go more for smoke and clove....but I really liked that! Got some nice bubblegum notes too. I'd love to know the yeast.

Nice body and very drinkable.

Masters Lager:

Amazingly clear for a bottle conditioned brew. Clean slightly floral aroma that eventually went a tiny bit fruitier (like a galxy hop type fruity) as it warmed up.

Flavour was crisp and dry and the bitterness was balanced with the malt. Not too much hop flavour except that same nice fruity at the end(I think it was a hop flavour). Smashed the bottle in no time at all.

Topher, the hefe was WLP380 Hefeweizen IV. It's meant to throw a lot of clove which is what I was aiming for as I'm not really a fan of the banana/bubble gum, go figure! It fermented around 18c so maybe I needed to go higher for clove, also my ferulic rest might not have been good enough as it started a little high.

I also sampled Masters lager, it poured exceptionally clear with a very good head. Out of the fridge at 4c it tasted exactly like an Aussie Lager, very clean with a nice neutral bitterness and nice bite from the CO2. But as it warmed up to about 6-7c it turned euro, with a great Pilsner taste and the maltiness coming through. Absolutely smashed it and it was an awesome accompaniment to the home made pizza.

Cant wait to try the next one :D
image.jpgimage.jpg

Have now had 3, here are my newbie comments so far.

Reman's Hefe - Was big on the banana, I had a MooBrew Hefe and the Sierra Nevada Hefe recently. This beer was much better than both, to be fair to the SN I did like it but I don't think it had travelled as well as it could have. Anyway back to the brew at hand, the head and carbonation were good and it had an awesome flavour and aroma, very smashable.

MB-Squared Mosaic/Equinox IPA - Poured really clear and had a great head and what I feel was perfect carbonation (Bulk Primed?). The flavour was fantastic, I'm a mosaic fanboy so I'm biased. This beer reminded me of my recent All Mosaic IPA, but with much better carbonation and more complex flavour and aroma. Great job MB.

Masters Lager - Really clear and good head. As said above by Topher and Reman this was an easy to smash beer. Very nicely balanced with a slight floral aroma and flavour that I really liked.

Next up is #10 Paulyman's APA.

Poured crystal clear with a nice head and lots of bubbles and a fantastic golden colour. First smell promises a wonderful hop flavour and the first sip doesn't disappoint. The hop flavour to me seems to be a mix of Citra and Amarillo, with a good mouthfeel and a dryish finish.

Top drop and I'm glad I picked up an extra!

image.jpg

# 11 Remans Hefe

Had this on Sunday and was very pleased. Good colour, nice banana aroma with hints of bubblegum, great wheat flavour and mouthfeel. Enjoyed the beer and reminded me of the joys of having a wheat on tap. The recipe shows just 25-28g for 3 spec malts which is interesting, didnt feel as though they came through in the malt character of the beer.

A good Hefe.

WP_20150621_001.jpg

MikeyR Chinooky IPA:

Lovely colour, darkish, smells piney and green and gooey and delicious. Could smell malt or sweet things too.

Tastes like it smells. A malty dank chinook IPA. Im just working through my first ever bag of Chinook and i hope my bag of hops grows up to be just like the John West IPA.

Marksys ESB:

Im sorry but i drank the first glass of this way too cold. It was nice and dry and very drinkable...lovely wnglish hop aroma ...but a little boring. The next glass was sweeter and maltier and fruitier. It had that elusive sultana flavour. I wanted more.

Im quite amazed by all the beers so far!

mbbs IPA.

Delicious....two more hops i need to try. Good balance between malt and hops. I was drunkish when i had this...then i got drunker and fell asleep.

Skb and his choc chilli stout.

I love chilli! This has a great balance between the chilli and the malt. I want more chilli! This is one of my favourites so far! There IS a spicey note that reminds me of ginger beer or coca cola.
I assume its chocolate or maybe something else. If you upped the chilli and dropped the other spicey thing. ... i would drink this all night until my bum burns the next morning.

Topher said:

I love chilli! This has a great balance between the chilli and the malt. I want more chilli! This is one of my favourites so far! There IS a spicey note that reminds me of ginger beer or coca cola.
I assume its chocolate or maybe something else. If you upped the chilli and dropped the other spicey thing. ... i would drink this all night until my bum burns the next morning.
I second this. The Choc Chilli Stout is delicious!

# 10 - Paulyman APA ( 5% hopped with Mosaic/Zythos )

WP_20150627_004.jpg

Aroma - low to medium hop aroma, zythos seemed to be more noticable than the mosaic.

Appearance - briiliant clarity with nice pale/amber hue with large persistent head ( large bubbles )

Flavour - very dry finish, not sharp just leaves the pallet which hides the malt chracter of the beer. Hop flavour was low to medium and a clean fermentation.

Mouthfeel - quite low on body due to the dryness

Overall - enjoyable APA, easy to drink. Carbonation a little high.

Topher said:
Im quite amazed by all the beers so far!

I do a hotter version about twice the spice with a slightly more coffee flavour. The funny taste is that I slightly overdid the coca, which hides the cinnamon as well.

choc chilli stout is a hit. SWMBO wants the recipe. what are my chances?

mb-squared said:
choc chilli stout is a hit. SWMBO wants the recipe. what are my chances?
good when I get back to my PC with Beer Smith so 10th July will send to you

Next up was the #21 Innis and Gunn clone.

Poured a very caramel without much head or carbonation. Fairly tame to start off with but reading up on the original it's one that needs to warm up to be at its best.

Once it warmed up it picked up in flavour, it was very honey-caramelly sweet with a really low bitterness.

I would say this is a pretty close clone from what I read, but unfortunately not my cup of tea.

image.jpg

Not the first brew I've had but I took notes and my typing is crap so I'll post over the next few days.

10. Paulyman's Zythos/Mosaic APA. Very nice hop combo, so much aroma but a nice balance of flavour as well, my first try of Zythos (I live a sheltered life) though have to say Mosaic is a favourite so this beer was always going to please if brewed well and it has been. Overall maybe slightly over carbed and maybe a few more days in CC before bottling would be helpful but for me I'd drink this for a few test matches over summer. Nice hop and malt balance full of flavour I was a bit sad to know I only had the one bottle in the end. I'd have this as a tap rotation for sure.

Reman's Hefe - a totally misnamed brew ... clearly should be renamed "El Jefe". It's totally the boss when it come to wheat beers I've had of late. Intense flavours, lots of banana, i got a hint of cloves too. Really nice drop! Ended up having with some nice soft cheese ..... perfect pairing!

Pratty's Robust Porter - my second crack at this one and Dan, was even better than the first time! Bit of residual sweetness which works so well. Got my mum's seal of approval as she cadged a bit after i poured it.

Mikeyr said:
Pratty's Robust Porter - my second crack at this one and Dan, was even better than the first time! Bit of residual sweetness which works so well. Got my mum's seal of approval as she cadged a bit after i poured it.
You had it already, wow.....RTD was 14th August, it was bottled on the 13th June.

Might have to get one into the fridge and sample it myself.

Thanks Mr Robinson!

Pratty1 said:
You had it already, wow.....RTD was 14th August, it was bottled on the 13th June.

Might have to get one into the fridge and sample it myself.

Thanks Mr Robinson!
I was definitely not pissed at this stage ..... later not such a clever story, I blame good beer and bad choice of swapping to 10yr Old SM Bushmills.

I just checked that your's was #1 and that's what was on the cap. Had good carb and no residual yeast smell or taste and was damn clear.

I'm amazed it was only that old! (and it's Rudman ... :D )

have been a bit slow getting around to tasting any of the beers, but yesterday I shared #6 Masters with a friend. A nice easy drink larger on the low hop profile end, my friend really liked it and his half vanished in a minute from my reckoning, I liked it as well and could easily spend a afternoon in the sun drinking it. The only slightly strange visula observation was that that head was maintained well however it looked "soapy" like bubbles when washing plates. It did not have the normal dense packed head, but this did not affect the flavour at all. I did not pick up any large amount of aroma but that may have been a result of the cold weather, as I find I smell less when cold and I was drinking it outside in about 15c ! bloody cold.

I had the best intention to take a photo but it went down too easily and all I could have taken a photo of was an empty glass !!

Hopefully will get around to tasting a few more beers

Have to rely on shaky memories on the last few but they were all very very good.
Paulymans pale was a fantastic beer. Clean malt and nicely defined hop flavour and profile. Better than many commercial pales for sure.
Joshs white stout was like wow wtf. Possibly too sweet for me.....i like my stouts dry and roastytoasty....but i still very much enjoyed it. How did you do it man? Close your eyes and its a dark choc bomb beer. Open them and it looks like a vb! Well done.

Back