Mid year NSW case swap - tasting notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks digety.

Thats one of the ones i was going to ask for the recipe for.
had it last week (i think) and it was beautiful. So very glad i have another to sit in storage for a while.

13 smoked brown. This a great example of a smoked beer. Subtle but distinctive smokey flavour that blends in well without dominating. Tastes like something I would enjoy just as much if it had been run through a still!

20 equinox/mosaic ipa.

Smells fantastic, fresh hop aroma. Is well balanced with very smooth bitterness. Nice blend of hops with a solid malt backbone.

Love mosaic but haven't had equinox before and am enjoying it in this beer. Is it a blend of cascade and something else?

#16 n87s Vienna Schwarzbier

Nice maltiness, faint flavour of Nobel German hops, quite clean. Slightly under-carbed and under-bittered for my tastes.

image.jpg

Life got in the way of me trying any until now. Apologies if I'm not drinking them at their peak.

7) Marksy - ESB
Some of the earlier comments had a medium carbonation. Mine is effervescent with a big white head. Deep gold and clear.

Not overly malty but there's a little biscuit note. Low medium hop flavour. Dries out in the finish with medium high bitterness or the impression of bitterness with the carbonation.

11) reman - Hefeweizen - 5.10%

Ticks most of the boxes for a Hefe. Looks good light yellow and cloudy. Could do with a bigger head. But smells and tastes good too.

15 Vienna schwartzbier.

This is a very clean and easy drinking beer. Nice malt flavours including a subtle smokiness at the finish. I don't have a big basis for comparison but enjoyed this one.

#3 Mikeys John West IPA

This is a bit of a cracker, pours a lovely dark amber colour with a nice pillowy head. Aroma of chinook is very nice and the flavour comes through from the first sip. Whilst it's nice and bitter, it's very well balanced with the malt. A great example of an IPA.

image.jpg

Had a few of the case swaps over the last few weekends.

Joshs - White Stout:

Interesting beer that I shared with a mate. Obviously a difficult beer to make when not using the typical dark and roasted malts to achieve the characteristics of a stout. Not a bad beer but certainly made for and interesting afternoon beer.

Topher - Munich IPA

The munich sure was the show! The hops carried ok in the beer but the munich really over ran the flavour department and for me, I like my IPA's as hop forward as possible. Maybe a 50% Pils 50% munich that is mashed lower to dry it out and I high attenuating yeast would see the munich settle in better for that style.

15 - Vienna Shwartzbier

I really enjoyed this beer :) Im all for hoppy ales and such but this beer is very clean beer with nice malt character thats not sweet. The smoke character level was perfect for this beer. I thought I was drinkin a Tooheys Old. Also the head was a nice creamy 5-6mm high all the way through the glass that had nice fine micro bubbles making it very smooth to drink.

1 Pratty1 Robust Porter 5.00% 14-Aug

Big mocha roasty flavours. Pretty enjoyable after a long few days.

Won't have much to say about this session guys. The eldest (from the swap) was in hospital for a couple of nights. All good now but I'm gonna drink rather than taste tonight.

17) Digety - Tawny Port soaked Oak RIS - 9.20%

Heaps going on. Dark fruits, roast, warming alcohol. Great beer. Thanks

Hi All,

My Robust Porter for the case swap was well recieved at the State Brewing Championships getting a 83/100 and taking 1st place for the category.

Hope its does as well at Nationals! :D

WP_20150901_003.jpg

Pratty1 said:
Hi All,

My Robust Porter for the case swap was well recieved at the State Brewing Championships getting a 83/100 and taking 1st place for the category.

Hope its does as well at Nationals! :D

attachicon.gif
WP_20150901_003.jpg
still have this in the fridge, I may just save it a little longer.

6) Masters - Lager - 4.90%

I've got two bottles of this. The first one is drinking so well I'm about to crack the second. Pretty clean lager. Crystal clear after a couple of weeks in the fridge. Good balance between sweetness of grain and bitterness. What's the recipe/yeast?

Cheers.

21) Hobospy - Innis & Gunn clone

Pours medium amber with a white head. Malt forward nose. Rich caramels, burnt toffee and faint spice.

Flavour follows nose closely. Im picking up some honey type flavours. Medium thin body, finishes medium. Only faintest hop presence.

Overall a tasty easy drinking sessionable beer.

Cheers

20) mb-squared - Equinox/Mosaic IPA 7.30%

Pours a bright medium amber with a white head. Big hoppy nose. Sweet fruit notes with pine in support. Lovely malt.

Big hoppy flavour. Fruit and pine. Medium body and low carb.

Lovely beer. Nicely made.

That is it for with this caseswap. So many most excellent beers. Nicely done fellas. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cheers

time to start setting up for the next one i think.

Latest posts

Back