2021 VIC Autumn Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyPaul

Reaction score
Plans are underway for the inaugural post covid Victorian Swap Meet and Brew day. It will be great to be able to get together again and do a big swap/brew day. This is an event that has grown over the years and is essentially a bunch of homebrew blokes that like to get together - its not affiliated with any club or organisation as such, just a very social get together.

For anyone that has never attended one its great event that runs over the course of a weekend - feel free to attend for a long or as little as you like.

Two key aspects of the weekend are a swap and a big brew.

The case swap is simply put your name down to participate as a swapper - then brew a batch of your best and come along with a case of bottles of it. You then go home with a mixed case with a bottle from every participant ( sometimes as many as 20+). Its a great way to taste a whole range of other beers and you will get great feed back on yours.

The big brew is a huge collaboration where we brew a great big batch and everyone goes home with a cube to ferment. This is not to be underestimated - we have brewed batches in excess of 600l. And generally its something pretty special (Past brews have included clones of Jedi Juice, Pliny the Elder even a Westy12).

Whilst the main action takes place on Saturday - some of the guys kick off on Friday to set up and stay though to Sunday for pack up.

Attendees are welcome to pitch tent or swag and stay overnight.

Everyone pitches in for food - generally there is a 'food boss' who gets the job of coordinating the food. (We've had awesome food like spits, smoked brisket, burgers...) No one ever goes hungry.

All the costs of food and the brew etc are calculated and shared amongst everyone. (Depending on the recipe and the prices of ingredients at the time the cubes are around $25-30. Food cost is pretty cheap too and can usually be based on how many of the meals you plan to be there for)

And of course there is beer. Bring along a keg, or bottles to share. We have had around 20 kegs on offer at some swaps.

So if you like to make beer, drink beer, talk about beer and eat....this is the event for you.

Basically if you are interested in participating cut and paste the lists below and add your name to the list. (it's pretty obvious, but if you want to swap - you're a swapper. Cubists - want a cube from the big brew, and if you just want to attend and check things out you're an attendee.

Past protocol has been if you want a cube you have to attend to be on hand to help out with the brew. But you can swap and not attend - if you can make arrangements to get your bottles there on the day (ie pass them on to an attendee to take for you)

I hope I've covered everything - put your name down here and I'll pass your details on to the organisers.

2021 VIC Autumn Case Swap

15 May 2021 @ Somers, Vic

Host - Laxation
Head Brewer:
Assistant Brewer:
Proposed Style:
Food boss:

Swappers

1. Lax
2. Golly
3. DCB
4. Curly

Cubists

1. Lax
2. Golly
3. DCB
4.Curly

Attendees

1. Lax
2. Golly
3. MJ ((sorta maybe)
4. DCB
5. Curly

Hey guys haven't done this before, I don't really bottle these days (if I do it's off my kegs) but could be tentatively keen to come as an attendee.
Would be keen to bring a couple of kegs to get some feedback (most likely cornies, but also have 5L and 10L so depends on what stock I have) should probably put something new on to bring :p Have had good success with a couple of eskies ice and soda stream gas bottles with just a flow control tap on each keg.

What kind of bottles are used for the case swap? (Guessing 24bottles?) I've had some success with bottling from my kegs but have been using pet and purging with kegland tees and carb caps etc. Guess I have enough time to work something out re bottling and could always brew something to bottle hmmm.

Sorry for thread spam

Host - Laxation
Head Brewer:
Assistant Brewer:
Proposed Style:
Food boss:

Swappers

1. Lax
2. Golly
3. DCB
4. Curly

Cubists

1. Lax
2. Golly
3. DCB
4.Curly

Attendees

1. Lax
2. Golly
3. MJ ((sorta maybe)
4. DCB
5. Curly
6. Clickeral (tentatively)

Brilliant mate love to see you there & try your beers
There might be around 14 taps on jockey boxes, so there's room even if all you did was bring a warm keg.

PET bottles are normally used for the swap, can definitely fill them off tap - whatever works for you.
Hope you can make it!

Brilliant mate love to see you there & try your beers
There might be around 14 taps on jockey boxes, so there's room even if all you did was bring a warm keg.

PET bottles are normally used for the swap, can definitely fill them off tap - whatever works for you.
Hope you can make it!

If there is space I'm sure I can bring at least a keg. Might investigate getting some pet bottles and decide what beer to bottle, I've got a cracking American amber that might be worth case swapping with but not sure how much is left in the keg so need to stocktake. I've just finished drinking a cheekypeak WC kivek pale and almost finished my milk stout otherwise they would have been good as well

Fullish kegs are
  1. David Heath ESB
  2. Brighids Red Ale (American hops) (have a 10L keg of this too)
  3. AU/NZ bits Cream ale that I just kegged
I'm just waiting on some spec malt so I can make a 5 Points Brewing Best clone.

Though maybe I should brew another batch of the American Amber, I've got heaps of Cascade so maybe I should use some more up, need to sub the Joe white pale out this time for a voyager malt but that's easy.

Sorry for rambling, I'm also trying to convince a friend of mine who brews with me now and then to come as an attendee as well. If I can bottle from my keg ok I'll change to a swapper.

There is always space for kegs - there is usually 2 Four tap jockey boxes, and plenty of other kegs just sitting around with pluto guns, bronco taps etc.

No keg will ever be turned away.

Back