Mid year NSW case swap - tasting notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoyed these two last night
15 n87 Vienna Schwartzbeir 4.50% 1-Aug
16 Cortez Oaked RIS 8.30% now

I was in the bath listening to podcasts, so no notes. But they were bloody delicious. Perfect selection, had the schwartz first and let the RIS warm up.

I also had
10 Paulyman Zythos/Mosaic APA - est 5% ABV - RTD Now.
last week. Very easy drinking APA. Reminded me of Mountain Goat Summer Ale.

Thanks guys, I'm enjoying this case.

had to clean out my shed to find my case of beers from this swap. Will start drinking them next week and see how they developed!

16. Oaked, peated RIS

Just drinking this at the moment. Very smooth, smokey notes add a whiskey character. Thick and malty. Beautiful balance and smooth creamy mouth feel.

Fantastic beer mate, glad I sat on this one for a few months, was well worth the wait!

16. Oaked, peated RIS

Just drinking this at the moment. Very smooth, smokey notes add a whiskey character. Thick and malty. Beautiful balance and smooth creamy mouth feel.

Fantastic beer mate, glad I sat on this one for a few months, was well worth the wait!

Fatgodzilla said:
had to clean out my shed to find my case of beers from this swap. Will start drinking them next week and see how they developed!
Should we plan for another winter swap?

contrarian said:
I'd be keen. The Christmas one never really got off the ground.
That's what I was recalling, just that time of year you know.

Would be good for an EOI, even if we just get 12 brewers involved.

#17 Tawny port soaked Oak RIS
image.jpeg
The port really came through on this one. Very smooth and a little bit sweet.

#16 Oaked RIS
image.jpeg
Interesting tasting the two RISs back-to-back. This one was more bitter and the oak came through quite strong.

Both awesome examples of RIS!

I have 3 bottles left - #1 porter, #12 choc chili stout and #13 smoked brown.

^ ^ just a heads up on the porter.

It may be over carbonated, I used 2 drops when 1 would have been sufficient for the carbonation required on a porter.

I will be interested to see how the flavors and carnation are after 7 months. :)

Shared 17 digety's tawny port oaked RIS with a fellow brewer last night. Big smooth and plenty of complexity and the porty oak character definitely shone through.

Great beer thanks mate!

#1 Robust Porter
Appearance - very dark brown, espresso. Head is tan with lots of bubbles, looks a bit over carbonated (as expected)
Aroma - coffee notes, slight milkiness(?), no hop aroma
Flavour - lots of coffee maltiness, little bit of roast, low bitterness at the front but there is a lingering bitterness
Mouthfeel - over carbed gives a little too much bite, but good amount of body and a nice oiliness.
Overall - once the bubbles died down it drank really well
image.jpeg

Barls, cracked open your "smoked brown" last night towards the end of the night.

Could taste no smokiness, but there was plenty of funkiness. Absolutely delicious and reminded me a little of a Rodenbach.

I checked back through the threads and no one mentioned any funk and they did mention tasting a subtle smoke.

What do you reckon?

Pic of the bottle
image.jpeg

probably faded it was just there. as for the funk its something I'm finding atm with some of the yeasts I've recaptured.

barls said:
probably faded it was just there. as for the funk its something I'm finding atm with some of the yeasts I've recaptured.
Keep it up then, the funk was awesome and delicious!

Latest posts

Back