NSW 2016 xmas case swap - tasting and recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its a belgian dark strong that was in the last case swap. I'm fairly sure theres some brett in the hence being half primed.

paulyman said:
11. FGZ - (orange lid 6/11 on it) Dark Bitter, drinkable now but wait a few weeks if you can.
Tried it last night. I don't know much about dark beers, only started getting into them a while ago, but this was extremely smooth with a great mouthfeel. As it warmed, the beer opened up to chocolate and coffee notes that were in no way harsh or astringent.

If I could make dark beers like that, i would be a happy man. Nice work.

Barls Cherry Wit.

What a pearler! Poured well, perhaps a little under carbonated. The colour is amazing as per pic below. Aroma is good with plenty of cherry on the nose and this follows through in the flavour. Good cherry flavours upfront with a dry finish which does nicely on a hot day.

As at start, only minor issue was I was looking for more bubbles, but it certainly didn't ruin the experience.

Great beer, well done. Glad I have a second in the fridge!

Cherry wit.jpg

glad you enjoyed. i deliberately didn't carb to wheat levels aka 3.5 volumes but only to about 2.5 from memory.

skb said:
10 Paulyman's Gose

Really limited experience with this style and have had probably 3 in total of which 2 I did not like. So I approached this with a little trepidation. I had another long day in the heat finishing off a retaining wall so needed a beer.

The beer at first mouth I found a little strange and could not pick it maybe cucumber ? Or pickle taste? I could just taste the salt as well. As a newbie to the style the first 3 or so mouthfuls were just strange, but after that I absolutely LOVED it what a drink for a hot day. I probably a little quickly drank the next few glasses and was devastated when it was gone. Still struggle to define the taste, cucumber lightly salted , citrus and really refreshing.. given the Australian client I have to wonder why beers like this are not sold everywhere.

Not sure how hard to make but I would love to see the recipe and guide as I could easily have this on tap.
Just tried #10, and was left thinking: "Jesus, I need to make more of this!"

Care to share the recipe?

fungrel said:

seconded had one of the two bottles i have last night and enjoyed it.
i can post my recipe if anyone wants it. keg ran out last night as well

fungrel said:
Tried it last night. I don't know much about dark beers, only started getting into them a while ago, but this was extremely smooth with a great mouthfeel. As it warmed, the beer opened up to chocolate and coffee notes that were in no way harsh or astringent.

If I could make dark beers like that, i would be a happy man. Nice work.
glad you got one of mine you could drink. Easy to make dark brews - they cover all my brewing deficiencies! I can't seem to brew anything too hoppy. Barls cant brew anything that's not infected.

We all have our talents. B)

#12 fungrel's lawnmower
IMG_3582.JPG

Apparently it had a recipe similar to mine, but that keg blew ages ago and I gave my bottle away as a present.

Had it last night with bbq'd chook and it was sensational! Had a herbal hop flavour I like, was super bright. Extremely drinkable. Great start to the case swap beers.

#4 Kolsch
IMG_3584.JPG

Perfect Kolsch, sooo many bubbles. Love that German noble hop flavour. Absolutely crystal clear. Could not be any better! I wish I had a whole keg of this to smash, super dangerous :D

Reman said:
#12 fungrel's lawnmower
attachicon.gif
IMG_3582.JPG

Apparently it had a recipe similar to mine, but that keg blew ages ago and I gave my bottle away as a present.

Had it last night with bbq'd chook and it was sensational! Had a herbal hop flavour I like, was super bright. Extremely drinkable. Great start to the case swap beers.
I did try yours and think it was similar.

Been refining this recipe for a while now, Think i've nailed the right yeast. This batch was US-05.

40/30/30 Vienna/Pale Ale/Wheat
1/3 IBU at 60, rest into the cube.

fungrel said:
I did try yours and think it was similar.

Been refining this recipe for a while now, Think i've nailed the right yeast. This batch was US-05.

40/30/30 Vienna/Pale Ale/Wheat
1/3 IBU at 60, rest into the cube.
I could taste the wheat I reckon, but it wasn't to be "seen". Would explain the head down to the last drop! I did an all-Vienna Vienna Lager and I really like the almost-honey flavour it brings. I could see you making this a house beer that's always on and I wouldn't be surprised if it's popular with all comers

fungrel said:

barls said:
seconded had one of the two bottles i have last night and enjoyed it.
i can post my recipe if anyone wants it. keg ran out last night as well
Here is the recipe I followed: http://byo.com/hops/item/2349-gose . I followed the steps using acidulated malt, I subbed in Tett for the hops, it's a cheat sour but came out quaffable.

Edit-forgot to mention the hop substitution.

#17 RIS by drclaybro

IMG_3597.JPG

Yeah, it went everywhere. Forgot it was a gusher!

Like others there was no funk or off taste to indicate an infection,might have been bottled with a few more points to go?

Dark colour, chocolate aroma with a strong espresso flavour. Smooth alcohol, smooth bitterness and the gushing knocked enough carb to be spot on with a light spritz.

Really enjoyed this one, probably drank it too fast!

#9 robust porter .. I think from this swap. Had it tonight really nice, chocolate type flavour without the sweetness. Not bitter just a nice balance. Don't know the style but liked the beer, heavier than Porter but lighter then stout and no acrid tones..

Had a second bottle of #9 robust porter my last beer of the swap... bloody nice

Latest posts

Back