2014 July Lotto Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a laugh too - quite clearly the beer had ninja'd before you realised it.

Hence the reason why I write my valuations the next day - I can translate the 'tipsy-scrawl' I've written down.

Anyone seen jyo? One of his beers has had a review.

JYO Aussie Ale:

This was difficult, because I was expecting a CSA/CPA style of beer, and this wasn't, but a great beer nonetheless.

JYO%2BAA.jpg

Aroma: Estery and Appley on the nose with medium-low maltiness.

Appearance: Very clear yellow-gold with high white head and medium-high carbonation.

Flavour: Fruity, estery flavour comes through prominently onto a nutty but thin maltiness. Diacetyl renders it more full in the mouth. Sweet, low bitterness. Slight breadiness in the middle of the palate.

Mouthfeel: Diacetyl prominent but not unpleasant - renders it more full than otherwise it would have been. Carbonation is medium-high but I like it. Not as high as I was expecting and lacks the carbonic bit I was expecting.

Overall: Good beer, not what I was expecting. Sweeter and not as bitter as I thought, but more interesting. Not a classic quaffer (though it is quaffable) - there is far more to this beer than what would be expected - well done.

StalkingWilbur said:
Masters Brewery - Big ******* Belgian

It's 12:40AM. I didn't want to go back outside to the Keezer. I had three options. This, I-a-n's porter that I'm trying to give as mug conditioning time as possible and a 1L squealer of To Ol's bourbon barrel aged coffee imperial stout weighing in at 10.1%

I think I've made a smart choice

This one also poured with no head. It actually looked completely still, but then I could see some signs of life as the glass filled.

The aroma is fairly unassuming. There's some chocolate, plum, raisin and belgian yeast notes.

The taste kicks this thing up a notch and the body and carb level are working great together.

After noticing my head swimming after a quarter of a glass I decided to check the label. 12%... Maybe I didn't make a smart choice.

To be fair, it doesn't taste like a 12% beer. Yeah, there's some booze. But it's not hot or unpleasant. The rate matches the aroma pretty well. Maybe add some plums.

I'm enjoying this and I think it might end my night. Cheers, mate.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413218991.986181.jpg
S.W. I have to say mate if you started with a few quiet ones I admire your courage, I started with one of these this evening, and in between 4 fat yak stubs, then another BBB.
Now I have to say the differences from first to last are marked and may just be a bottling thing, my second BBB was a little more carbed and had a more maturity. As this is not and will not be a daily or weekly starter, l'm happy to see where it goes, I should have this sorted by comp time (which it was brewed for). I'll send you another next year which I am yet to decide will have further yeast added to address the a fore mentioned carbonation issues, just swishing in the mouth with this last bottle really higfhlights some special notes.

MB

I think foolish would be a better adjective than courageous.

I would love to see what this develops into, more than happy to do a swap and send you out something when you're ready :)

Hey LRG! Thanks for the detailed reviews, mate. Really appreciate the effort,

Yeah, the CPA was not really to style. I whacked a late addition of Challenger in there to keep things interesting.

I've taken on board the comments about the water with the special bitter. I am having a heap of trouble with water at the moment, including a persistent haze issue, so currently looking at playing with my water.

Once again, thanks for the reviews, glad you enjoyed the beers, mate. :chug:

I know I was very slack in getting the beers to you LRG - and you're in the middle of a major move - but have you had a chance to do any more reviews lately?

Hi Nick,

I did drink and review the beers on official paperwork but not sure where I've put it in the move.

I can go back and remember them a little - I know the Brett-infused beer was really nice, and not too sour for my liking, but beyond that, I can answer at work, though I'll do my best. Sorry I can't be more definite than that.

It might be sitting in a crate if I am lucky and it's a case of scan and upload to AHB.

Thanks heaps

Chris

As long as you enjoyed it, that's good enough for me :)