Vic Xmas In July 2008 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
having had a hard days work in the yard, I thought I'd give it the test.

Sensational hard yakka beer! Innoffensive maltiness with nice bitterness.

Reminds me of an ad I once seen! Matter of fact :p

20 - Mortz Munich Dunkel

This beer blew me away, absolutely loved it.

Big thick creamy head that lasted till the end, excellent malt flavour.
A nice deep dark clear beer which was very very smooth.
In 40 odd case swap beers this is up there with Hutch's 2007 xmas case swap beer.

Great beer mortz, i will PM my address for another bottle just to make sure you didn't fluke it :p

Rook

:blink: Must have been a hard day! I visited the "case" this afternoon, 11 left. Hmmm which ones will i try, p/up 2 low and behold NUMBER 8 IS ONE OF THEM :blink: Apologies Chris.

No wonder there was no weizen :lol: , no idea what it was That i did drink. but this REAL number 8 IS the real deal, great beer, a lil sweet, a lil alcoholy, the alchohol thing is probably too style? I like it! Ticks all the boxes ala the milkstout.

No worries Haysie, now I can stop wondering how one bottle ended up with no weizen character ;) ..

Was about 8% ABV so should be a bit noticeable. Also weizen beers usually have very low hop rates, so is definitely balance towards the malt side of things. Glad you enjoyed it.

18. Mark_M - Amarillo / Motueka APA

Pale in colour (but not as pale as Fents US Lager), nice head, subtle malty flavour dominated by the hops. A very nice drop. I could go several of these :D

A question if I could, is the dominant hop Amarillo or Motueko or is it a combo?

21. superhero - Milk stout

Black, small red-brown head. Low-ish carbonation. Aroma of malt, biscuit, with some roast, coffee and liquorice? Tastes malty/biscuity, slightly sweet, some liquorice and coffee. Its really smooth and creamy.

Its a really nice stout. Nice and smooth.... went down very well indeed.

cheers, Andrei

Haysie - Oatmeal Stout

As I've said preiously, not really a stout drinker, but really enjoyed this one! Nice and creamy, strong roast flavour with a hint of coffee with a dry finish.

Well done. I'm beginning to feel converted to the darker ales!

DoppelBrewer - Helles Bock

Never tasted a beer like this one before. Strong malty flavour with a strong honey aftertaste, medium carbonation. Overall a nice beer.

7. Hairofthedog - Saaz Pilsner

Mine was very clear. Straw in colour with a nice white head. A little soapy in the mouth.

Some malty flavour and low bitterness. Some fruity flavors creeping through as it warmed.

Not a bad beer for a Pilsner

4. Rook - Amber Ale

My bottles have been sitting in the garage so on reading other comments I put this bottle inside about 2 weeks ago and gave it a few gentle shakes to carb it up...

My bottle is definitely not flat. Its lightly carbonated but at a really nice level for my enjoyment of the beer. Its amber-red in colour, a bit cloudy. It has a nice small creamy off-white head. It even left a little lacing down my glass. Aroma is light, but is of malt/biscuit and slightly flowery. Taste is also fairly malty with biscuit, caramel. Its slightly fruity with nice hop flavour. It finishes off quite bitter and slightly dry. It has a very nice almost creamy feel to it.

I notice the name of your brewery... if I was your wife I would also be nagging you... to make some more of this beer :icon_cheers:

What a sensational beer to finish off my case. Very well done Rook!

cheers, Andrei

...and now my case is done :(

Thanks again to Fents for the swap day and to all the case-swappers out there for the beers and the feedback. This is my 3rd swap and the general standard of beers in this one was very very good. I hope to be in the next one also but circumstances may not allow...

The top 3 beers of the swap according to my taste buds are:
- Mortz's Dunkel - great clean, malty lager - I liked it so much I brewed it... tasting very good out of the fermenter!
- Fents' US Lager - beautiful easy drinking and tasty lager...
- Rook's Amber Ale - a fantastic, tasty ale

cheers, Andrei

4. Rook - Premiership Amber Ale

Apart from the link with that obscure football team, this has to be the best beer of the swap so far (I am somewhat partial to amber ales). A very clean beer, albeit slightly cloudy. Nice caramel flavour, great carbonation and nice creamy head that lasts to the end of the glass with good lacing. Taste does not change appreciably as the glass warms.

Well done Rook!

21. superhero - Milk stout - I'm not a big fan of stout but this is really nice! Well crafted.
4. Rook - Amber Ale - Funny label :D , Very clean beer, Nice flavour, Nice carbonation! Great beer all around.

21. Superhero - Milk Stout

Not sure what to think about this one. Roastiness was a bit much for my palate and had a strange bitey sweetness that just didn't seem right.

13- Citymorgue2 - Pride of Porter (Honey Porter)

This one has to be the my favourite dark beer so far. A very subtle roast compared to the stouts, but also has a cidery kind of taste that doesn't seem quite right. Nice carbonation giving a creamy mouth feel and a nice sweet, lingering after-taste.

22. Voota? (glass bottle)- Coffee Stout

Well this one is definately a stout, roast and warmth, but a lovely coffee after taste that took me completely by surprise (wasn't expecting it to be so strong) on the first mouthful. This is a very nice beer :beerbang:

16. Doppelbrewer's Doppelbock - Dark amber in colour, good carbonation, aroma of malt, pineapple and cooked corn :( taste of malt, pineapple and cooked corn. Very dry finish. I fear I have waited too long to taste this one and some DMS has spoilt the party for me :(

I shall hurry up and drink the other beers!!!

23. Moonee - Oak Butt Brown Ale

Colour is definately brown, tastes nice and malty, with some wood and fruit flavours coming through.

A very complex taste profile, but a very nice beer nonetheless.

Top job Moonie!

Only one more case swap beer to go, although I seem to have missed out on a top brown ale by 65bellett :(

Hello Brewers,

Had this one today:

20. Mortz's Munich Dunkel - Dark brown in colour with malt, chocolate and cereal in the aroma. Taste has medium-low malt, medium cereal
flavour and once the search party had returned - low chocolate flavour. All in all a very enjoyable beer. Well done Mortz.

Down to the last 6 now I think :)

2 in a day!!

23. Moonee's Oak Butt Brown Ale - Dark brown in colour with a sweet aroma. Taste is of mild chocolate with some astringency at the finish
which is quite dry. Body is a little thin too. Still quite enjoyable. You're doing a lot better than me with brown ales Moonee. My last one exploded!!

Until next tasting.

1 Peels kinda porter - very nice mate would drink again

20 Mortz munich dunkel - excellent beer would drink over and over and over again

edit - they were from sat night just incase peeps dont think im drinking at 9am.

Hi Brewers,

Next is:

4. Rooks Amber Ale - Amber in colour!! Aroma of malt and citris hop notes. Good carbonation. Low-medium malt in the flavour along with medium-high citrus
hop flavour and bitterness. A very tasty drop Rook. Well done.

I do agree with Alvin that some strange football label has somehow become affixed to the bottle. Be sure to
rectify this fault for the next caseswap please!!!!!!!

Back