VIC. 2015 Xmas in July - Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bottled my mine about 8 weeks ago, anyone reckon I could sample yet?

Ive been having one every month and man its improving. Was awesome to start with but can definitely taste and appreciate what time does to it!! 52 months to go......

mine was blended as a 20% addition to a barrel aged RIS which got on the podium at beerfest so while i wouldn't enter a swap meet beer in a comp i think a blend is ok especially if represents only 1/5th of the beer :ph34r:

it must have been a good 1/5

i'd love to try a bottle of the wee heavy if someone would like to swap for a bottle of this bourbon barrel RIS - we could swap at the <edit - Vic ~ Grainer> bulk buy?

yob i owe you two bottles if you want it - no swap required there, it is quite bourbon'esk still

bloody 'ell !
<ed - 3rd April)
well that's a date to remember, i'll put it on our "to do jobs/calendar" whiteboard thingy - cheers mate, hope to make it :chug:

got the perfect girl to take to such an event to...your typical feisty Scot'...she might be young but she's no pushover

Happy to swap you a bottle droid! I'm still working out what grains I need (want) from the buy but will be getting something fo sho.

done - thanks deej !

be interesting to try/taste some different ferments

i got 70 ltrs so no probs swapping a few here and there

So I bottled this 8 months ago and had the patience to leave it and was going to taste it after 6 months.......which turned into 8 months because I forgot about it :) Anyway, holy fuckballs batman, this was delicious and not as green as I was expecting. Was going to have 1 bottle at a time every 6 months, but maybe I'll have 2 bottles.....every 2 days instead.

Nah going to get another bottle and then sample in another 6 months.

'Sounds like you you did a good job on this one.

I tasted a couple of examples last weekend. Yob's reeked of menthol & other medicinal nasties :wacko: . AJ80's was just what I was expecting, but was flat as a tack. Over time, it may get the carbonation required.

Try a bottle every 4-6 months or so to get how it travels. I've found these fella's take about 18 months to hit a peak & then a loooong time to hit their straps.

Enjoy!!

MartinOC said:

I tasted a couple of examples last weekend. Yob's reeked of menthol & other medicinal nasties :wacko: . AJ80's was just what I was expecting, but was flat as a tack. Over time, it may get the carbonation required.

Try a bottle every 4-6 months or so to get how it travels. I've found these fella's take about 18 months to hit a peak & then a loooong time to hit their straps.

Enjoy!!
Will need to pull one of mine out tonight.. last one was choc full of cola, plum and what I can only describe as autumn leaves, with a slight smokey/tobacco taste.

Life is great with good beer.

MartinOC said:

Enjoy!!
Maybe but I also don't know what the market talking about half the time :). But it certainly tasted alright to me, I might put it into Vic brew. Get some more professional opinion on it.

I must say it was nicely carbonated. And only used one teaspoon for a 500ml.

The only thing that concerns me long term was I put it into pet and then afterwards read that long term storage in pet isn't that good and it can lose carbonation.

Nullnvoid said:
I might put it into Vic brew. Get some more professional opinion on it.
No-one at Vicbrew gets paid (free lunch & free beer notwithstanding), but you'll certainly get objective assessment of it.

MartinOC said:
No-one at Vicbrew gets paid (free lunch & free beer notwithstanding), but you'll certainly get objective assessment of it.
Our definitions of professional are slightly different :).

Cracked a bottle tonight and very happy with it. Pours with just the right amount of spritz and bugger all head. Smooth, sweet and malty. No hot or alcohol overtones, just sweet rich malt.

I'm gonna have the brew this again. Boy oh boy

I submitted my cube for Jesse's barrelled batch, which ended up becoming his suspicious barrel which is quite funky. The wee heavy from it was pretty damn odd at first, but now after nearly a year in the keg it's getting to be somewhat like a very big, very malty Flanders Red. Another six months and I'm guessing it'll be drinking very nicely.

Anyone remember Jesse's Suspicious Barrel? This. Is. Sweet. As.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1489307285.668801.jpg

An adult beer. Figuring since I can't send myself to 2017 Xmas in July, I'll send this. It's gonna **** you up. Even Martin OC might drink it.

Latest posts

Back