SE QLD Xmas-in-July 2015 (Tasting Thread)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might as well jump on the Earls Hoppy Hefe train...

Another midnight finish and a day off tomorrow so I'm really relishing this beer.

It pours with a nice big paper-white head and has a full fruity aroma, if I had to guess then I might detect Mosiac here? It is a nice slightly cloudy deep straw colour and the taste is of fruit with hints of resin IMO. I don't have the best palate but it's a lovely smooth drop that doesn't sit on the tongue to long but leaves a lingering presence with its bitterness.

I really like it and would happily enjoy it anytime; summer, autumn, winter or spring but then I'm biased - I love wheat beers!

earl_hoppy_hefe.jpg

Parks said:
8. hwall95 - Mocha Stout, 7%, Should be ready

Excellent beer. I would like more roast but I think that would take away from the extremely smooth chocolate/roast that is there now. Fantastically smooth for a 7% beer.

I do think it needs a touch more bitterness or roast to balance but the more I drink the more I don't care!

F me I wish I had your brewing skill at your age (or even knew beer was made from grain :blink: )
Adr_0 said:
Beer is made from grain??!?

And I have to say, that mild on Saturday night was outstanding. Great job. I might just try one of these so-called *finger quote* "8's" - made from grain you say?
Cheers Parks. Yeah I might have to up roasted barley to give it some extra bite to balance the sweetness from the lactose.

Beer is made from grain? No, next you're going to tell me that yeast actually alive as well!

Cheers Adr_0, sadly the kegs feeling awfully light so I better brew another batch. Probably one of the easiest and cheapest beers to brew.

Parks coffee stout

No hops aroma (which is a good thing) and very little coffee aroma (surprising). But first taste is a massive caffeine bit. Probably at my threshold for coffee flavours tbh.

I'm finding as it warms up roast and coffee aroma getting stronger. And unless I'm getting used to the coffee the big coffee taste is fading a bit and dark malts are bringing some flavour.

Carbonation was low and im in 2 minds about it. I love low carbonation with porters and stouts as I get more flavour. But with more carbonation the aromas would have been stronger.

Nicely layered beer parks.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1436518923.563357.jpg

hwall95 - Mocha Stout

not getting any aroma but that is due to deadly man-flu. :-|

Getting some nice coffee choc notes and a nice lingering dark malt coffee after tastes. Coffee levels are a bit more in line with my taste thresholds.

Another good beer. How good are swaps!!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1436524839.122209.jpg

OK guys, if you crack one of mine and it doesn't make a nice hiss and you happen to have a carbonator cap give it a little squirt. I filled mine from the keg after filtering so you won't have any sediment to shake up.

The bottle I gave myself was plenty carb'd :ph34r:

I quite enjoyed the low carb so it wasn't meant to be a negative.
If I had another bottle then I would pour half, and then carb the remainder in the bottle. Compare.
Best of both worlds. :)

Liams brown porter.

I have nothing unique to add to the previous reviews. Great choc tastes and low smooth carbonation.
Great beer Liam. Let this beer warm up.
Have put half bottle on carb cap to compare.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1436532658.954707.jpg

Getting a caramel sweetness. Not overly bitter/hoppy and I think the caramel overrides the spice from the rye. Under carbed currently.

Pretty nice otherwise tbh. Cheers :)-)))

DSC_0048~2.jpg

Came home from shopping some bits and pieces for the little fella and thought, ahhh I deserve a beer :) as you do...

20. Adr_0 - English IPA

Poured this one up vigorously to release as much flavour as possible.
With that, I got earthy spices and orange on the nose. The beer has a beautiful flawless appearance, good head retention, is clear and nearly light copper coloured.
Upon tasting it, I get a great balance of hop bitterness with a nice aftertaste. There's a slight lingering of bitterness which bounces off the bready, perhaps slightly biscuit malt profile.
Perfect carbonation, which enhances that clean crisp mouth feel.

While tasting and writing down some notes, I hadn't initially read what was in the bottle... I though man, this is a great example of an English IPA... What'd'ya know :D

Really well done mate, I can't fault it, and I'm sure, in a comp it'd do extremely well!
(with my minimal experience, I'd have scored this a solid BJCP 45-46 points!)

Cheers,
Martin

IMAG2943.jpg

We had No. 20 last night.
Presents well with an earthy light fruity nose, good lasting head with lacing. Medium mouthfeel, nice malt profile.
Pretty well spot on for style, I'd like to have a growler (or keg!) of this

Yeah that's pretty good. Beautiful red highlights, gorgeous roasty nose. Nice subtle choc in me gob and that roast certainly is contained and not over the top.

I rate it but I also probs rate ya mum, so ya know.

DSC_0050~2.jpg

Ok m8 righto m8. Coffee out the clacker imo. Not overpowering at all and serves the beer well. Low carbonation which works to this beer's advantage.

Got a half munger. It's pretty gr8.

DSC_0051~2.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1436603266.431157.jpg

This beer was a cracker. I was a bit confused at first because I was looking for any hefe characteristics. Slight wheat flavour but mostly just tropical fruit punch cordial out the wazoo. This was super fruity and drinkable. Nice one Earle.

20 . Adr_0 - English IPA

I nearly think that I got a beautiful bready malty backbone come through first. Great carbonation and a solid bitterness with earthy aromatic hops.

Very nice beer.

med_gallery_7015_1307_147116.jpg

Thanks gents, glad you liked :)

By the way, 6 - coffee stout, outstanding! Actually had on the 3rd of July, just forgot to post...

5. liam_snorkel - robust porter

Based on previous comments I gave this one a shot with a carb cap, about half what I would do for soda water. Let it sit for about 10 minutes before opening but ended up with a massive tan head. Great chocolate aroma and flavour. Moderate bitterness which I would say is to style. Very enjoyable.

med_gallery_7015_1307_229672.jpg

Had liams beer on carb cap for a day at normal serving pressure. Better head retention and lacing on glass. Aroma has picked up a little but the choc taste has lengthened.
Goes great with some chocolate buds.

24 - Screamadelica's Belgian PA

Wow, awesome beer. The smell is great, with banana, cloves, slight woodiness and herbs

Flavour is this again and some aniseed seems to come through. Really awesome beer. Not sure about the Belgian IPA as a style but it seems to be a solid Belgian PA for me. Really well done, a really well made beer and nicely matched malts, hops and yeast.

On a side note, it reminded me a lot of Chimay Red, but swapping the caramunich out and the herbal aniseedy hops in. Did you use 1214 or something else?

Awesome beer, really impressed by this one, great job. :)

Latest posts

Back