SE QLD Xmas-in-July 2015 (Tasting Thread)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the 20's, they are fine now. It's up to you whether you want it clear or with yeast (1275), but just make sure no chunks (of hops) get in if you do see the odd chunk.

5 - Liam's porter:

Before I go into this, I owe you a joke.

Luggy walks into the Wickham with a little cart behind him with a can of white paint, some reflectors, some gravel and a heap of steaming tar. He gets a few looks as you'd expect, but the barman shrugs it off and asks him what he'll have. So he says to him (he says) "I'll grab a Stella thanks mate... and one for the road."

The beer:
Perfect colour, great highlights. The carbonation is perfect but head fades pretty quickly. Smells of chocolate and a touch of smoke.
5 - porter.jpg

Great mouthfeel, taste is again of dark chocolate with a touch of sourness and some smoke. Great taste. Finish is good with some tea/fruit in there and a very slight ashy bitterness in the finish along with the main roasty finish... also some very subtle smoke. Very smooth and drinkable, nice job.

1. (01/09) Winkle - Biere de Noel Ale 8.5% (dark/sour) ready to drink 1 Sep 2015 (probably)
  2. (READY) Ciderman - Red Rye IPA 6.5% 66IBU - Should be ready to drink by swap date.
  3. HBHB - Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout 10.5% - going light this time
  4. (05/08) madpierre06 - Coffee Imperial Stout 4 is cold steeped coffee addition, 4 as is means straight bean addition, 18 hour soak. Bottled 2/7, give minimum month to drink. Bottle with an underlined 4 , then you have cold steeped addition prior to bottling, no underline means yours is whole bean for 18 hours prior to bottling.
  5. (READY) liam_snorkel - robust porter
  6. (READY) Parks - Coffee Stout - DRINK IT YESTERDAY
  7. (01/08) luggy- Irish Ale, 6.2%, Be at its best from early august.
  8. (READY) hwall95 - Mocha Stout, 7%, Should be ready
  9. (11/07) Meno - Kiwi Bright Ale Give it one week
  10. (READY) Seehuusen - American Wheat IPA
  11. (18/07) Angus - raisin porter
  12. (18/07) Natdene - Black IPA 6.2%, bottled 29/06 so give it a few weeks
  13. (18/07) Lukiferj - Dark Rye Saison - bottled 27 June so will need a few weeks at least
  14. (02/08) rokaxe - IRA 6.8%, 97 IBU (ready to drink Aug 2nd, soz)
  15. (25/07) Ballantyne - Yee Ipa 6.9% - bottled 1/7/15 - needs at least 3 weeks
  16. (11/07) Benken25 - rice lager with lemongrass and black pepper
  17. (READY) Brewkid - (IPA - LATE SCRATCHING) OATMEAL STOUT 4.7% now replacing it, ready to drink now.
  18. (??/??) Beersuit - Gladfields Belgian blonde.
  19. (26/12) Fattox - imperial dark lager
  20. (08/07) Adr_0 - English IPA
  21. (READY) Radshoes - Vanilla Mocha Porter RED 21 IS PORTER GREEN 21 IS AN APA Both ready for consumption now.
  22. (20/7) Aydos - Dark rye IPA 6.7% - BOTTLED ON THE MORNING OF THE SWAP SO GIVE IT TWO WEEKS AT LEAST BUT I THINK IT COULD DO WITH ANOTHER FEW WEEKS FOR THE FLAVOURS TO BLEND TOGETHER PROPERLY. THERE IS A BIT GOING ON IN THE BEER.
  23. (READY) Earle - Hoppy Hefe DRINK NOW
  24. (READY) Screamadelica - (18 of them are belgian IPA, 6 are choc-raspberry saison) DRINK NOW

Thanks mate. Bit sad about the head retention, the remainder of the keg that I polished off on Sunday did the same thing.

Liam_snorkel said:
Thanks mate. Bit sad about the head retention, the remainder of the keg that I polished off on Sunday did the same thing.
It's a bit hard when you don't have a lot of carbonation or hops to support the head.

Didn't have a stressful start to fermentation by chance did you? I assume even though you don't chill that you do have a good strong, long boil?

Lastly, it might be worth going into the tap of your cube, and into the bottom of the bottling fermenter, and likewise nice and gently into the bottom of the keg. Treating gently and not sloshing around.

First time I've had retention this poor, quick force carbonation and CPBF on the morning of the swap wouldn't have helped.
Fermentation was strong, 1 litre starter of 1469 kicked off quickly.
There's a chance I didn't 100% rinse cleaning solution from the kettle or cube, I guess :-/

5 - Liam's porter

I think Adr_0 has hit the nail on the head with that review.
I had mine yesterday, and looking at the style guidelines, it really does fall into that Brown Porter category extremely well.
Nice nutty/ biscuit flavours, clear beer with a low-ish carbonation. I really enjoyed it mate :)

OG/FG wise (1.061/1.018) it's up in robust porter or even stout territory, but flavour wise I was going for brown. Simpson's brown malt is the hero really. can't get enough of that stuff. :icon_drool2:

24. (READY) Screamadelica - (18 of them are belgian IPA, 6 are choc-raspberry saison) DRINK NOW

I'm not sure if this is a Belgian IPA or not. What I am sure of is it's delicious! I haven't cared for the 2 commercial white/Belgian IPAs I've tried.

Your worry about carbonation was off - ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1436251663.502048.jpg

My only thought is personally I'd like it with a little less body, but not much.

Great beer!

Liam_snorkel said:
OG/FG wise (1.061/1.018) it's up in robust porter or even stout territory, but flavour wise I was going for brown. Simpson's brown malt is the hero really. can't get enough of that stuff. :icon_drool2:
Ah, the ever elusive and contradictory beast that is the robust porter. "Must not have roast barley" yet always "not roasty enough".

I really need to track down some good commercial examples...

Parks said:
Ah, the ever elusive and contradictory beast that is the robust porter. "Must not have roast barley" yet always "not roasty enough".

I really need to track down some good commercial examples...
guidelines be damned. they've both been iced from the 2015 guidelines anyway.. we now have English Porter, Baltic Porter, American Porter, and Pre-Prohibition Porter (American).. pffffffffffffffffffft

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1436257819.842563.jpg

Would agree with all of the comments so far on Liam's porter. Absolutely delicious flavours but just down on carbonation. Was going to force carb it but it's still incredibly drinkable so can't be bothered.

(01/09) Winkle - Biere de Noel Ale 8.5% (dark/sour) ready to drink 1 Sep 2015 (probably)
(READY) Ciderman - Red Rye IPA 6.5% 66IBU - Should be ready to drink by swap date.
HBHB - Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout 10.5% - going light this time
(05/08) madpierre06 - Coffee Imperial Stout 4 is cold steeped coffee addition, 4 as is means straight bean addition, 18 hour soak. Bottled 2/7, give minimum month to drink. Bottle with an underlined 4 , then you have cold steeped addition prior to bottling, no underline means yours is whole bean for 18 hours prior to bottling.
(READY) liam_snorkel - robust porter
(READY) Parks - Coffee Stout - DRINK IT YESTERDAY
(01/08) luggy- Irish Ale, 6.2%, Be at its best from early august.
(READY) hwall95 - Mocha Stout, 7%, Should be ready
(11/07) Meno - Kiwi Bright Ale Give it one week
(READY) Seehuusen - American Wheat IPA
(18/07) Angus - raisin porter
(23/07) Natdene - Black IPA 6.2%, bottled 29/06 so give it a few weeks
(18/07) Lukiferj - Dark Rye Saison - bottled 27 June so will need a few weeks at least
(02/08) rokaxe - IRA 6.8%, 97 IBU (ready to drink Aug 2nd, soz)
(25/07) Ballantyne - Yee Ipa 6.9% - bottled 1/7/15 - needs at least 3 weeks
(11/07) Benken25 - rice lager with lemongrass and black pepper
(READY) Brewkid - (IPA - LATE SCRATCHING) OATMEAL STOUT 4.7% now replacing it, ready to drink now.
(??/??) Beersuit - Gladfields Belgian blonde.
(26/12) Fattox - imperial dark lager
(08/07) Adr_0 - English IPA
(READY) Radshoes - Vanilla Mocha Porter RED 21 IS PORTER GREEN 21 IS AN APA Both ready for consumption now.
(20/7) Aydos - Dark rye IPA 6.7% - BOTTLED ON THE MORNING OF THE SWAP SO GIVE IT TWO WEEKS AT LEAST BUT I THINK IT COULD DO WITH ANOTHER FEW WEEKS FOR THE FLAVOURS TO BLEND TOGETHER PROPERLY. THERE IS A BIT GOING ON IN THE BEER.
(READY) Earle - Hoppy Hefe DRINK NOW
(READY) Screamadelica - (18 of them are belgian IPA, 6 are choc-raspberry saison) DRINK NOW

23. Earle - Hoppy Hefe
Big tropical fruit aroma, juicy on the way down, dry finish with light almost spicy bitterness. Frothy head that left a meringue in the bottom of my glass. Impressive stuff.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1436261929.194262.jpg

I had a go at the 21 - Radshoes APA I think - it was just a green smudge and didn't seem to be any other numbers:
21-APA.jpg
Colour is good, nice carbonation, great head retention and lacing.
Smells like pine, grapefruit, bit of mango and melon... bit of passionfruit... Cascade and Mosaic, maybe Simcoe in there? Tastes great, great APA. Not a massively long finish but really drinkable, full of flavour, enough malt there, really nicely balanced and no off flavours that I could detect.
Great beer, good example of an APA and very well made. Beautiful. :)

yeah sorry couldn't find a sharpy and i think i used whiteboard markers

6. Parks - Coffee Stout

Smells like a big pot of coffee that's cooled to room temperature. Low carbonation, not too sweet. Probably the smoothest coffee stout I've had, sometimes I find them kind of furry on the tongue for lack of a better word. Not this one. Kick arse. I keep sniffing the glass.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1436267012.601693.jpg

Back