Brewometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi LC, do you mind expanding on "baked to constant weight" please, re the salt?

I've got scales that will go close to that accuracy and access to RO water, and would like to check my two Carlton hydrometers (1.000-1.050 and 1.050-1.100). Any recommendations for blends to check those two against would also be much appreciated :icon_cheers:

Thank you,

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
* Since salt is mildly hygroscopic, it must be baked to constant weight before adding.
Meddo said:
Hi LC, do you mind expanding on "baked to constant weight" please, re the salt?
I believe LC is suggesting baking the salt to drive off any moisture, so that 12g of salt is actually 100% salt and not 11-point-something grams of salt and a small amount of water.

Yep, exactly that.

The way you check is to weigh the salt and the tray, bake it for a while, wheigh it again, bake it for a while, repeat until the weight stops changing; ergo "drying to constant weight".

BTW you should also make sure the salt is just salt: no "anti caking agent" which is added to some table salts. These are basically clays that absorb a hell of a lot of water.

sluggerdog said:
Michael,

Has yours turned up yet? I'm keen to hear your review. Very tempting.
It's arrived in the mail but I've been overseas and haven't had a change to open the package yet. I'll post a video when I get it working.

I ordered one of these a few weeks ago, it left the US quite quickly, arrived and again departed Sydney last Friday. Nothing more since then on the tracking.

Did anyone else who ordered one of these experience something similar with USPS or should I follow up to see what has happened?

3 days from the US to Sydney then now a week + to Brisbane seems fishy to me.

sbowler said:
I can't remember how long my Brewometer took to come, but I have had other packages sit in customs for 1-2 weeks before being cleared.
Ahh yeah, that's probably the delay. Waiting on customs. I wish they would show this on the tracking though.

I'm always so impatient waiting for new toys :)

Mine was posted on the Friday in the US and arrived in Melbourne on the Sunday. It then took until Friday to move 160 kms to Bendigo

Put the tracking number into Aus Post.
then give them a call if nothing comes up. the package is handed over to them once it enters Australia

I had some ingredients sent from the US a couple of months back that got from there to Sydney in 3 or 4 days and then took another week and a half to get up here to Brisbane. It also said it departed Sydney the day or two after it arrived there. They take ******* ages, but you can probably expect it to arrive next week some time.

sluggerdog said:
I ordered one of these a few weeks ago, it left the US quite quickly, arrived and again departed Sydney last Friday. Nothing more since then on the tracking.

Did anyone else who ordered one of these experience something similar with USPS or should I follow up to see what has happened?

3 days from the US to Sydney then now a week + to Brisbane seems fishy to me.
My tilt arrived this morning, opened it up. Its flashing red on waking it up, I guess the battery is dead going by the FAQs on their website. A little disappointing. Maybe they should ship the battery out of the device.

sluggerdog said:
My tilt arrived this morning, opened it up. Its flashing red on waking it up, I guess the battery is dead going by the FAQs on their website. A little disappointing. Maybe they should ship the battery out of the device.
My battery died 2 days into the 2nd batch... I've now got 3 spares on hand.

BKBrews said:
My battery died 2 days into the 2nd batch... I've now got 3 spares on hand.
I ended up taking the battery out then replacing it again. Re-calibrated it in water and now I have a green flashing light. Maybe it got bumped or something in the delivery process causing the red flash.

I think I'll head out and grab some more batteries from jaycar today before using it for the first time. Just in case.

Cheers

sluggerdog said:
I ended up taking the battery out then replacing it again. Re-calibrated it in water and now I have a green flashing light. Maybe it got bumped or something in the delivery process causing the red flash.

I think I'll head out and grab some more batteries from jaycar today before using it for the first time. Just in case.

Cheers
For what it's worth, I bought one Panasonic battery from teds cameras for $12.99 and then I got two O-Light batteries on eBay for $4 each with free delivery. They seem fine.

I'm sure this has been asked and answered already, but has anyone used this inside a stainless kegmenter?

pcqypcqy said:
I'm sure this has been asked and answered already, but has anyone used this inside a stainless kegmenter?
Not a Kegmentor but I have in a SS brewbucket. Works fine even when the ferm freezer is closed.

I ordered two of these a while ago and used them on the two brews I have in my two fermenter fridge. On the strength of what they do I have ordered one more for my fermentasaurus in my other fridge.
I love the way I can track the progress of the fermentation using brewstat.us and how that allows you to upload the .xml file for the recipe. This gives the interface a lovely, detailed feel to it rather than simply the graph or chart using Google sheets, which is pretty cool anyway.

I have found the temp readings to be pretty bang on and as far as I can see the SG readings seem to correlate with hydrometer readings.

But...

On both of these brews I have had times where the SG would rise and fall. In one of the brews, a sweet stout using wy1084, the sg dropped crazy quick and ended up flatlining at 1.021. I wasn't sure if that was an issue with the Tilt at first but this was from a Cheeky Peek FWK and the FG was meant to be 1.023 so that solved that.
My other brew however is a Blue Moon clone using 3944 Belgian Wit. This one has baffled me. The SG has tended downwards over a week but with some not insignificant rises in gravity at times. Like I will check it one time and it might be 1.017 and then it will have gone up to 1.023 for example. Not like single points but 5 or 6 points. It got to the point where it was hovering somewhere between 1.013 and 1.019 so I pitched another starter. And when I opened the lid there was still a hella crazy krausen sitting there waving at me. Pitched it anyway and raised fridge temp to 23 and it dropped further but the ups and downs are still occuring. This makes me wonder whether in fact foam does actually affect some of the readings of the Tilt.
The brew can be seen here https://www.brewstat.us/brew/532/the-second-blue-moon
The graph looks reasonably normal but there are plenty of speedbumps along the way.

Any thoughts or has anyone else with a Tilt experienced this? Could it be a calibration issue?
Cheers.

pcqypcqy said:
Yes, mostly works fine, but range to smartphone is only about 3 metres from inside a fridge. Also when cold crashing under pressure the readings go awry. Gravity reads 6 to 8 points lower than prior to chilling.

Xaxis, could it be resting against the side of the fermenter at times? I am concerned this could make it sit more vertical and read artificially high values.

Latest posts

Back