May/June meet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attendees:
n87
gone brewing
MJF

Maybe:
Mr Wibble

Food:
n87 - Snags
gone brewing - rolls

Please mark me down for sauerkraut(can change to green salad if need if no takers?). Will also bring a couple of brews along of course.

Can you please also pm/txt me your address? C U Sunday. thanks

MJF said:
Please mark me down for sauerkraut(can change to green salad if need if no takers?). Will also bring a couple of brews along of course.

Can you please also pm/txt me your address? C U Sunday. thanks
Sauerkraut sounds good. PM sent with the address.

A new guy, Tim, who we met at the Foghorn comp will also join the meeting on Sunday.

Great, we also have Ryan, who won at foghorn dropping by if he can, he is working unfortunately, so he won't be there the whole time.

Attendees:
n87
gone brewing
MJF
Tim

Maybe:
Mr Wibble
Ryan

Food:
n87 - Snags
gone brewing - rolls

IMHO we should start a new "Group Brew" project.

Here's my suggestion: Replica India Pale Ale, circa 1850 (+/- 50 years).
Maybe choose a recipe out of Ron Pattinson's "The Homebrewers Guide To Vintage Beer".
He has 8 recipes taken from Brewery Records covering 1839 to 1953.
It would be up to the brewer to decide what being a replica means. For me, that would be finishing fermentation with a bit of brett.

But I'm happy to do anything.

I could put it in a keg and leave it rolling round the back of my car for a couple of months ;)

Could you post the recipe?

The first coke-fired drum-kilns for drying malt appeared in 1818, so that's plenty of time to rule-out needing a bit of smoked malt to replicate (coal , wood or straw) older style malt kilning methods. Obviously there's no point making a bad beer, but the idea is to taste something close to the original.

Recipe: 1877 IPA
Brewer: Mr Wibble
Asst Brewer: The Brew Lab
Style: English IPA

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 5.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 147.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.7 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6.70 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 100.0 %

113.00 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 2 54.0 IBUs
113.00 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 50.5 IBUs
113.00 g Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 30.0 Hop 4 43.1 IBUs

1.0 pkg London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.70 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 19.27 l of water at 74.7 C 66.7 C 60 min
Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (5.47l, 18.04l) of 75.6 C water

This started at 1058, finished at 1010 -> 6.3% AbV.
Note: Was very very bitter at tasting (+4 weeks). Much better after 6 months.
All those hops were expensive too.

Is the book you reference saying that such high IBUs are typical for the period? I know English IPAs were bitter, but 147 IBUs! That's fairly extreme.

That is a hoppy beer... How much sludge did you end up with at the end of the boil?

If we wanted to go down that route, I think we might have to have a chat to Brewman for a special price on 3kg's or so for the club.
Many things to talk about on Sunday

I should be able to make it. Can someone PM me the address?

Cheers!

Attendees:
n87
gone brewing
MJF
Tim
nodoise

Maybe:
Mr Wibble
Ryan

Food:
n87 - Snags
gone brewing - rolls
MJF - Sauerkraut

Hey guys, if you are looking for some bulk stuff let me know.

Cheers Steve

Brewman_ said:
Hey guys, if you are looking for some bulk stuff let me know.

Cheers Steve
Thanks Steve, will hit you up once we have decided what's what.

Great meeting yesterday. It was nice to meet some new members and the standard of beers was up there.

Here are a couple of links to things we were discussing yesterday regarding water chemistry. This link is from AHB and if you read Thirstyboy's comments, it's pretty much what I follow. I believe that guy knows his stuff as he used to post a lot of good info and could explain difficult concepts fairly easily. >>> http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/66452-is-there-an-error-in-brewing-water-calculators/

And here's a link to Braukaiser which has some good discussions on different aspects of brewing, including water chemistry. >>> http://www.braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Braukaiser.com

Was a good meet, thanks all who came. I will do a full recap in the newsletter, but i will put up what resulted from the discussion points.

Club name: a couple for 'keeping it the same', a couple for 'Brewers of Gosford and Neighbouring Suburbs', but overwhelming support for 'whatever'

Regular meet date: full support behind a regular meet date, the 3rd Sunday of the month was the result. if this does not suit you, please speak up, otherwise it will be.
This would make the next meet 18th June

Regular meet place: The general consensus on this was that we have alternating meets, every second meet at a venue, other months at home.
Oldfield Cellars is central, 1.6k's from Gosford station, and there is a bus stop out the front. I will talk to Garth and see if the legalities all stack up.
Let me know if you have any other venues in mind, we did consider 6 Strings and Foghorn, however, most agreed Erina was more difficult to get to than Gosford.

2017 Group Brew: This point was brought up and discussed at length, but not much traction was made. However, it did seed the next (new) point

Theme meets: have meets, conveniently in the same month as a special day, that are themed eg: July 4th is Independence day, so we would have an American themed meet in July, bringing American style beers and being able to brew for the occasion.

Let me know if I have missed something.

• thanks for the links gb, will take a while to digest it. Also n87 for the minutes.
  • for my own selfish reasons, the 4th sunday maybe better for me, esp over the next couple months. Should be able to attend every 2-3 meetings if it remains the 3rd, which is fine anyway, just wanted to add my 10 cents.
  • Kincumber beer fest is on the 2nd sunday of june, could we coincide this as a meeting? Maybe at a cheap byo eatery for a brew swap/meet across road and then run riot at the beer fest? Otherwise beer fest as another thread.
  • got a Belgian strong ale down at the moment, cold crashing for a few days, experiencing I think it would be called bubble gum flavours, never used the strong ale smack pack before, did a 2L starter in 10L batch. started fermenting at 18 and increased to 28 over 2 weeks. Used palm sugar and candy sugar. About 8% ABV. I also added come bicarb to raise the ph, but maybe overdid it and it climbed from 4.9 to 5.9, post boil dropped back to 5.5? Maybe I'll pop down to Oldfield and grab a Belgian strong golden ale to compare it too but there's likely to be a lot of variety within the style I'd suspect. Probably should of placed this on another topic....anyway...

Latest posts

Back