September meet 15/9

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n87

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope everyone got spoiled, or spoiled their relative for fathers day.
Time to organise the next brew meet. this time it will be at someone's house on the south side of the coast.

It will be held on the 15th September between 2 and 5pm

If someone in the south, or mid central coast wants to host, let me know or reply here.

Once we have a venue, I will put out the emails.
I think I have found out how to send the event emails again now after they changed things, but either way, we now have brew meets displayed on the website (if you wanted to check up on future meets). I will attempt to keep it up to date with the next few meets.

Lastly, dont forget about the Oktoberfest meet on 20th October at Oldfields. put it in the calendar!

Attendees:
n87

I'm fairly sure that I can make it, wherever it is. Are you heading down to the NSW comp the following weekend?

I'm fairly sure that I can make it, wherever it is. Are you heading down to the NSW comp the following weekend?

Yeah, I'm going to the comp on the Saturday. Training it.

If we don't get another volunteer in the next couple of days, I will host this meet

My place it is!
Will send the emails out shortly.

Attendees:
n87
@Mikeyr
Website1

Maybe:
gone brewing

Food:

Attendees:
n87
@Mikeyr
Website1
gone brewing
@Korik
Neil - Korik's +1

Food:
n87 - Rolls
gone brewing - meatballs
Korik - snags

He folks,

I have just moved down here from North Queensland and am trying to get set up to brew again but I'm finding supplies and information very limited. I see that I have just missed the last meeting. Is this the only contact you guys have? I thought I signed up to something on the pinned post but I did not hear anything from that. Any help you can give would be great.

He folks,

I have just moved down here from North Queensland and am trying to get set up to brew again but I'm finding supplies and information very limited. I see that I have just missed the last meeting. Is this the only contact you guys have? I thought I signed up to something on the pinned post but I did not hear anything from that. Any help you can give would be great.

Hey mate,

I run the central coast brewers website (link in my sig), from there you can sign up for the mailing list. I send out an email to everyone with the details of the latest brew meet info a week or two before the event.

Regarding supplies, there are a few brew shops scattered around, Gosford, Kincumber, Toukley. I can only really speak for Gosford, it has stock of some stuff, but better prices can be had elsewhere. I usually get my yeast from there cause I am disorganised and need to get it at the last minute
Where have you moved to? would help to recommend the closest.
Brewman is also 'down the road' in Newcastle, does decent prices, has a decent stock and looks after it too.

Let us know what you need and someone will be able to recommend somewhere to get it.

We meet up on the 3rd Sunday of the month, next month being our Oktoberfest meet at Oldfield Cellars in Gosford. Would be great to see you there.

Hey mate,

I run the central coast brewers website (link in my sig), from there you can sign up for the mailing list. I send out an email to everyone with the details of the latest brew meet info a week or two before the event.

Regarding supplies, there are a few brew shops scattered around, Gosford, Kincumber, Toukley. I can only really speak for Gosford, it has stock of some stuff, but better prices can be had elsewhere. I usually get my yeast from there cause I am disorganised and need to get it at the last minute
Where have you moved to? would help to recommend the closest.
Brewman is also 'down the road' in Newcastle, does decent prices, has a decent stock and looks after it too.

Let us know what you need and someone will be able to recommend somewhere to get it.

We meet up on the 3rd Sunday of the month, next month being our Oktoberfest meet at Oldfield Cellars in Gosford. Would be great to see you there.

Thanks for that.
I have signed up on the website.
I have moved to Kincumber and have been to the brewshop in Gosford. I'm at a little bit of a loss because up north I was dealing mainly with Gladfield and Bintani as malt suppliers but here it seems to be Cryer mostly, I will just have to adjust my recipes I guess.
I am mostly concerned about getting a water report so I can see what I'm dealing with here, I have seen the generic one on the council website but it would be nice to see a more recent and localised one.
Equipment wise, I need to source a fermentation fridge, some food grade silicone hose, citric acid and some brewbrite, other than that I should be good to go.

Cheers,

Colm

Thanks for that.
I have signed up on the website.
I have moved to Kincumber and have been to the brewshop in Gosford. I'm at a little bit of a loss because up north I was dealing mainly with Gladfield and Bintani as malt suppliers but here it seems to be Cryer mostly, I will just have to adjust my recipes I guess.
I am mostly concerned about getting a water report so I can see what I'm dealing with here, I have seen the generic one on the council website but it would be nice to see a more recent and localised one.
Equipment wise, I need to source a fermentation fridge, some food grade silicone hose, citric acid and some brewbrite, other than that I should be good to go.

Cheers,

Colm

Yeah, there isnt really a great local place for malt, its either Sydney or Newcastle. That being said, I have scored a deal or two for a full bag from Gosford, sometimes their prices are good.

Regarding water, I know @fungrel did some water tests a couple of years ago, but he is further north. I would highly recommend a dual stage filter for our water as the turbidity and chlorine vary greatly from week to week... best to get rid of them all together.

The ferm fridge I can help you out with, I have an upright freezer that is feeling a little left out. Hasnt been used in over a year, could use a clean.
Comes with STC controller and reptile heater cord.
If you have a ute or similar, we could work out a price.

The other bits, IMO you are better off getting from one of the forum sponsors and delivered, or you may be running around the coast to get each one. tho you may be able to get citric acid from Coles/Woolworths etc.

What system are you running?

Yeah, there isnt really a great local place for malt, its either Sydney or Newcastle. That being said, I have scored a deal or two for a full bag from Gosford, sometimes their prices are good.

Regarding water, I know @fungrel did some water tests a couple of years ago, but he is further north. I would highly recommend a dual stage filter for our water as the turbidity and chlorine vary greatly from week to week... best to get rid of them all together.

The ferm fridge I can help you out with, I have an upright freezer that is feeling a little left out. Hasnt been used in over a year, could use a clean.
Comes with STC controller and reptile heater cord.
If you have a ute or similar, we could work out a price.

The other bits, IMO you are better off getting from one of the forum sponsors and delivered, or you may be running around the coast to get each one. tho you may be able to get citric acid from Coles/Woolworths etc.

What system are you running?

It's not the price, more the different grains, I find the Gladfield speciality grains to be very unique. I'm trying to convince the wife to buy me a nice fluted grain mill so I can just buy bags of base malt.

I would always run a .5um carbon filter to strip chlorine and bacteria and that will do for now, I like my big malty beers anyway so the water here should be fine for that or am I missing something?

I have never even thought about a heat pad before, I've only ever had to worry about cooling but I suppose I will not have to worry about precooling my water to crash cool:). I've always had to use 60kg of ice to crash cool. I am definitly interested in the freezer, do you dimensions inside and out? I need to start brewing as soon as possible.

I have a 50L 3 vessel HERMS, quite bodge but it has served me well for many years, 80% effeciency and 100% consistency. I have some shiny new PID's to set up on it some day but until then I will just keep using my trusty old KK temp controller.

Gladfield can be had from a couple of places, havent really played with it so cant think of any off the top of my head.
I am mainly using Voyager now, their spec grains are very interesting. try some Voodoo or SM40 if you get a chance.

I will PM you about the freezer, but it is big enough to fit a 60 and 30L fermenter in there at the same time... and you will need heat through winter down here, if only to push up to D-rest temp.

Hey Colm

I got some info on the local water a while back, details below. It's good for making malty beers but adding some calcium chloride would help. I also add a campden tablet to the brew water. Looking forward to catching up for a beer at the next meeting.

calcium: 16ppm
magnesium: 8ppm
sodium: 30ppm
chloride: 70ppm
sulfate: 20ppm
bicarbonate: 36ppm

Back