May/June meet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n87

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just thought I would start this discussion early so we can get it organised and locked in before anyone can make different plans ;)

Dates:
May 6/7
13/14 Mothers Day is usually a no go.
20/21
27/28
June 3/4
11th is the CC Craft Beer and Cider Festival at Kincumber

Topics for discussion:
Club name and do we want to go official
Regular meeting place, Shannon at Foghorn is keen to host us if the regulations permit it
Regular meeting date/time (eg 2nd Thursday of the month)
What our 2017 group/club brew should be
How to deal with this upstart n87 who wants to 'organise' everything

As always, I am happy to host, but just as happy to leave someone else with the clean up ;)
I will keep in contact with Shannon (Foghorn) about the venue, and keep you posted if it is viable for this meet.

Is that the Foghorn at Erina?

I thought we were meeting at Ourimbah/Fountaindale next time?

I think it's good that you organise stuff.

I never really can commit to any sort of date, as I'm not sure what's happening this weekend, let alone in 3/4 weeks.

One thing I would like to do is a bus trip "up the valley" for a proper tour Potters & H-O-P-E Estate breweries (and not just the low-tech tour they give tourists). is anyone really interested in doing this? I could get some mini-bus fares priced out. Could pickup at Train stations, etc.

Did anyone goto Newcastle Beer festival over the weekend?
We couldn't decide whether to go Saturday (NSW Breweries only), or Sunday (Rest of AU Breweries) - so ended up not going to either.
i really wanted to talk to the guys from "Black Hops" after reading their book, but alas, it was not to be.

Mr Wibble said:
Is that the Foghorn at Erina?

I thought we were meeting at Ourimbah/Fountaindale next time?

I think it's good that you organise stuff.

I never really can commit to any sort of date, as I'm not sure what's happening this weekend, let alone in 3/4 weeks.

One thing I would like to do is a bus trip "up the valley" for a proper tour Potters & H-O-P-E Estate breweries (and not just the low-tech tour they give tourists). is anyone really interested in doing this? I could get some mini-bus fares priced out. Could pickup at Train stations, etc.

Did anyone goto Newcastle Beer festival over the weekend?
We couldn't decide whether to go Saturday (NSW Breweries only), or Sunday (Rest of AU Breweries) - so ended up not going to either.
i really wanted to talk to the guys from "Black Hops" after reading their book, but alas, it was not to be.
Foghorn at Erina, yes
Meet location, we are due for a northern venue, but if noone puts their hand up, not much I can do.

Proper brewery tours, oh yeah, I'm keen.
Though, I was trying to organise the forghorn one for a while, they provide the bus ;)... hasnt got enough traction, and we dont have enough numbers for me to book anything with a 'whoever gets in first' deal.

Honestly, didnt even know there was a Newcastle beer festival... tho I was trying to recoup my strength after being knocked on my ass the last week by a flu.

Sounds like a plan, dates that far out are a mystery to me, also happy to host if you want a break. (Just round the corner from n87)

Tours sound like a great idea!

I'm happy to host the meeting (in the ghetto that is Glenning Valley). All dates are OK for me except 13th May.

Hi all,

Got a phone call from one of your members a couple weeks back and am keen to get to a meeting. Dates are pretty free for me in May at the moment. Except maybe 27th which is GABs, held at homebush this year, unsure if I'll go as yet. Keen to bounce some ideas and knowledge from you guys. I have been all graining for about 3 years and plan to brew a Belgian golden ale tomorrow, currently conditioning a wood aged stout, and have a pale ale on tap. Always looking at ways to improve. I live in Niagara park and keen to join a brewclub on the coast. Any chance of adding water(ph, etc) as an agenda item down the track? Something which I have little experience except a council report, ph meter and a reading from the pool shop. Little idea what to do with it all. Haven't been on any forum for years so I'll probably be a little slack with replies, I don't do Facebook, etc ..... Looking forward to my first meeting on the coast if okay with the host. Cheers. Michael.

MJF said:
Hi all,

Got a phone call from one of your members a couple weeks back and am keen to get to a meeting. Dates are pretty free for me in May at the moment. Except maybe 27th which is GABs, held at homebush this year, unsure if I'll go as yet. Keen to bounce some ideas and knowledge from you guys. I have been all graining for about 3 years and plan to brew a Belgian golden ale tomorrow, currently conditioning a wood aged stout, and have a pale ale on tap. Always looking at ways to improve. I live in Niagara park and keen to join a brewclub on the coast. Any chance of adding water(ph, etc) as an agenda item down the track? Something which I have little experience except a council report, ph meter and a reading from the pool shop. Little idea what to do with it all. Haven't been on any forum for years so I'll probably be a little slack with replies, I don't do Facebook, etc ..... Looking forward to my first meeting on the coast if okay with the host. Cheers. Michael.
Hi Michael,

Welcome, and I hope to meet up with you at the next meet, we havent refused anyone yet..... It sounds like you have a couple of interesting beers I wouldnt mind tasting, so I think we will have to let you in. :beer:

Its fine if you're not on here as much as others, the main thing is that you are up on current events. We do most of our discussion on this forum, but I also send out a monthly newsletter to keep all in the loop, it would be a good idea to sign up:
http://ccbrewers.wixsite.com/ccbrew/newmember
Have a browse around the website too, tho it is a little sparse in some respects. To see what you will be getting in your inbox, you can have a look through the old newsletters here:
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/93326-newsletters/

Water is a subject that gets brought up pretty regularly, and we have members doing nothing, filtering, all the way to salt additions and PH monitoring. It is also something I am starting to look into (I am currently filtering).

Anyway, have a look around, there is plenty of information on this forum... some of it is even correct, and don't hesitate to ask any of us, or the general forum if you have any questions.

Hey Mike,

Welcome mate! That would have been me that called you a few weeks back. Good to see you signed up for AHB. It would be great to meet up with you at the next meeting and sample a few of your efforts. All questions are welcome because collectively, we are an absolute authority on all things brewing, especially after sampling a few. Just ask us. :beerbang:

If you don't get on AHB so often then you can set up notifications for when a new topic is created for Central Coast Brewers, it's pretty easy to do. You can also follow a specific topic and get notified when a new post is made. These notifications come by email and it's a good way to keep up with something if you don't actually get on here that much.

Seems like the dates for the next meeting could be:
May 6/7
13/14 (Mothers' Day)
20/21
27/28 (GABS)
June 3/4
11th is the CC Craft Beer and Cider Festival at Kincumber (Also the long weekend so not ideal)

I'm keen to go for the 7th or 21st. Any thoughts on that?

I'm good for either of those.
if we want the 7th, we would need to confirm relatively quickly, as its only 2 weeks away... and you know how disorganised we are :)

OK,
How bout, if there is no objections to Sunday the 7th May, we will call it on Monday and I will send out the appropriate emails.

Thanks for all the welcomes, 6/7th may w/e fine by me. Cheers

OK, What IS GABS?

Ah - https://www.gabsfestival.com/sydney-event-info/

Still doesn't say what it is. Oh, it has "currency" ... ^_^

And Olympic Park, it's in the geographic heart of Sydney, didn't you know.
(That's like how Hornsby is in the north-north-north-west heart of Sydney.)

Tickets, tokens, currency ... they all suck.
I like the Warner's at the Bay Festival model -
Step #1. pay entry price

The "token" model was one of the reasons I didn't goto the one at Newcastle.
I just feel like I'm being fleeced.

EDIT: The "Buy Tickets" page has better info: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/gabs-beer-cider-food-fest-presented-by-dan-murphys-sydney-session-1-tickets-32846640185 .

Tickets start at $46 (inc. ticketing fee).

G'day Mr Wibble

Yeah, not too convinced on the GABs thing myself, initially thought there may of been workshops, talks, etc. Think it's just a big piss up sponsored by the big corporates. Would likely just be a one-off if I decided to go. Very overpriced too. Warners is definitely the premier beer fest in my books. I'm more likely to get to Kincumber as well. There is a promo code by dan murphies for 10% off for GABs, just google it, but still overpriced. The $46 ticket price simply gets you entry, no tasters unless you pay extra. Unsure what else you get for $46, except for maybe some B grade entertainment, doesn't appear much on the website....

Keen for my first cc brew meet when locked in, sooner the better! Happy to host one later in the year too.

So, 7th it is at the normal time, 2-5 at gone brewin's place.
Email has been sent out.

I'm considering going to GABS, but geeze, it's in *Sydney*.

I emailed them about the ticket pricing.
You can buy all your "currency" at the event, and that way you save a small amount because it's not going through the ticketting supplier.

-kt

Rats, i won't be able to attend.

If i can put my 2c in, i'd like if it were a set day of the month as it's easier to plan. I live with a human diary.

Use that info as you will.

Attendees:
n87
gone brewing
MJF

Food:
n87 - Snags

A week out, anyone else planning on coming?

Yep, I'm planning!

But it's not a good day for me, as Mrs Wibble is heading out for a work trip that day.
So I intend to be there, but I'll give my apologies now, just in case.

I want your (plural) opinion on my gluten-free beer. And how to make it better.

EDIT: can someone please PM (or email) me the street address.

Mr Wibble said:
Yep, I'm planning!

But it's not a good day for me, as Mrs Wibble is heading out for a work trip that day.
So I intend to be there, but I'll give my apologies now, just in case.

I want your (plural) opinion on my gluten-free beer. And how to make it better.

EDIT: can someone please PM (or email) me the street address.
pm sent. Hope to see you next weekend.

Back