Brewometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Erlenmeyer flask of boiling water in the fridge works for me on the rare occurrence I actually need heating in my fridge. Does make things a bit damp in there though, unless it's covered. Otherwise I simply open the fridge door during the warmest time of day and close it again afterwards. Not suitable for everyone of course.

Chridech said:
Just dropped the cash on a Brewometer/Tilt. Now the wait of three weeks! The range for the Bluetooth is quoted as 25ft. I ferment in stainless steel inside a fridge. Does anyone have confirmation of the practical range? I hope to keep my IPad in the bedroom which is above the Garage containing the fermenting fridge.
Range is about 3m inside a fridge inside a kegmenter. Oh well, but beats taking frequent hydrometer samples when monitoring a fast lager ferment.

contrarian said:
You don't even need a 100W bulb really. In a fridge/freezer a 40W bulb will provide enough heat to hit any temp you need for brewing!
True, but often that little $10 kit comes with a 100w or 120w bulb in it by default.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
F7594814-01.jpg

These are designed for the job: Enclosure Heater.
Other than the overkill option of a finned air heating element, these are the best choice if you don't want hot spots on your fermenter
Personally, I just bung a heat belt on half way up the fermenter, so it's away from the yeast cake...

That would be suitable for a large and poorly insulated fermenter but will cause overshoot problems in a small well insulated one.

My second chamber is 750mm x 600mm x 600mm and insulated with 50mm EPS board; I put a very similar 500 W heater in it as I need to be able to get it to 70 - 80 oC*.

b8277493-bedf-4031-9cee-eecc1616f620.png
$14 from Bunnings. Contains 500W ceramic element and fan.

I had hoped this would also work for the lower temperatures for fermentation** but it overshoots by more than ten degrees. I ended up putting a seond 25 W heater in there and switching between them according to use.

*It was designed as a second composites curing oven but also sees use as a fermentation chamber.

** My primary oven uses a 2 kW heater and oven fan (it has to get to 120 0C). I've used it for fermentations over winter and it shows no overshoot but it's much larger and the insulation has a higher thermal mass (I can't use EPS at that temperature).

My two brewometers arrived after 2 weeks after the order was placed. I have a munich helles and a kolsch in the fermenters.

One is lagging the other by a day after only 2 days. I am using wl029 kolsch yeast but i should have combined my 2 flasks before dropping the yeast in.

Before getting the units i would have been fairly clueless about what was happening especially as i have been off work for 3 days because of strainng a muscle in my back.

I really love them as now i can work out a strategy to optimise the results.

Mine arrived last week - can't touch it until Christmas though [emoji51] they are much smaller than I thought.

Just got one of these. Have a google sheet setup as per the website. I have the app showing temp correctly, I have it set to Celsius. But it is showing F instead of C on the google sheet. I'm sure I saw this exact issue while reading about the tilt but I can't find it anywhere and how they solved it. Has anyone else had this issue?

Edit - should mention this is only a minor nuisance, other than this it seems like an amazing bit of kit.

Latest posts

Back