Brewometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
contrarian said:
Thanks for the reply Mark.
I don't really understand the impact of fluid motion and hydrostatic pressure on fermentation so hadn't even considered them as variables although the point about temperature is a good one as a smaller volume would obviously change much quicker.
I also hadn't considered the surface area to volume ratio.
I know that temperature would change the rate of fermentation but would the other factors change the rate of fermentation or the quality of the finished beer or both?
It sounds like the only thing a separate smaller ferment might tell you is when the beer is finished!
Yep everything matters, each minor variable maybe not so much individually, but the cumulative effect of changing a lot small variables can make a big difference.
Repeating my favourite beer adage, Everything ends up in the glass!
Mark

I've got one of these in my current brew.
I got it because its such a pain to lift 40L+ out of the chesty just to take a reading (i dont like opening the lid and risking infection), and also i like gadgets haha.

i don't have a spare device to do the data logging to the cloud at the moment, but its awesome to just walk into the room, open the app on my phone and see what gravity and temp my wort is sitting at.

Dubzie said:
I've got one of these in my current brew.
How accurate are you finding the readings? Does it get thrown off by krausen etc?

Dubzie said:
its awesome to just walk into the room, open the app on my phone and see what gravity and temp my wort is sitting at.
I'd love this aspect of it. Yes, tasting wort from your gravity readings is useful, but sometimes I don't have time. I pass my the brew shed every time I go to the car so the convenience factor would be great.

Please post pics!

goatus said:
How accurate are you finding the readings? Does it get thrown off by krausen etc?
Readings fluctuate +/-.001
I havent managed to get a reading while my brew is in high krausen, but the brewometer site says this:
http://brewometer.net/pages/faqs

Q. How is the Tilt/Brewometer affected by foam?
A. There is no noticeable interference from foam. Foam plays a minimal role since it is significantly less dense than the beer and 95% of the device is submerged in the beer.

Michael Burton said:
I'd love this aspect of it. Yes, tasting wort from your gravity readings is useful, but sometimes I don't have time. I pass my the brew shed every time I go to the car so the convenience factor would be great.

Please post pics!
Definitely next brew i do i'll see if i can remember to take some pics and do a write up :)
I also hope to have a spare andriod device setup to record and post data to a google sheet that i can share with you all.

Dubzie said:
Definitely next brew i do i'll see if i can remember to take some pics and do a write up :)
I also hope to have a spare andriod device setup to record and post data to a google sheet that i can share with you all.

Any news on this?
Would like to know how good it goes

I think its a great idea & will take the guess work out of when to raise the temp for a diacetyl rest but a bit too expensive unfortunately.

Exile said:
Any news on this?
Would like to know how good it goes
Wow i totally forgot, i did just chucked it in a brew last night, i dont have a spare device to have it constantly monitor the brew and upload to the online spreadsheet.

I can screen post some progress screenshots of the brew over the next 2 weeks :)

I ended up pulling the plug on one of these, now to wait 3 weeks :mellow:

Pulled the plug or pushed the button? You're buying one?

I'd love to see some positive results posted!

Q. How do bubbles from CO2 affect the Tilt/Brewometer?

A. We recommend putting the Brewometer in your beer prior to pitching yeast, this will ensure any bubbles will not affect initial readings. Bubbles from dissolved CO2 may cause higher than expected readings for a short time if placed in an active fermenting brew. However, this can be sped up if washed with alcohol (i.e. Everclear).
That's from the Brewometer FAQs.

This is what worries me the most. Inaccurate readings during active fermentation (because isn't that the point of owning one of these? Wouldn't you want to leave it in an active fermenting brew??)

But maybe it's good enough to at least give you an idea of where your ferment is at.

Would love to hear more feedback from people who are using these.

Yep I pushed the button :p
The last brew I made was a Zombie Dust clone, I hit it with oxygen before pitching the yeast and four days later it had finished fermenting. It would be a lot easier to keep an eye on it with one instead of pouring out samples all the time.
I will keep this topic alive with the url once I receive it.

Be interested to hear how people find this thing, my main interest would be using it to replace repeated sg samples and to give a more accurate indication of wort temp than i get from my temp control probe stuck in a bottle of glycerin in the fridge. Plus i havent bought any brewery toys for ages ☺

Don't have one of these my self but this is an update posted on the WW forum by a user.
For those interested in contacting the author/user direct visit the WW Forum and look under "Equipment" for further details

Wobbly

The final results are in. This little Brewometer is a great addition to the WW. I will give a brief setup of the situation.

1. downloaded the App on phone and the unit quickly pared with the phone.

2. calibrated in clean water using the app. read 1.000
3. sanitized in WW sanitizer solution on brew day.
4. cooled wort, put in WW and dropped Brewometer in with sterilized tongs.
5. Gravity was very close to what the recipe stated it should be. It read 1.062 vs 1.064 (some DME clumped and didn't get in the wort)
6. quickly setup the app to send info to google docs. I was able to see in graph form and spreadsheet the progress the yeast was making.
7. hit target FG of 1.015. started the chill process and clarified 2x.
8. removed beer and tested with standard hydrometer 3 x. all readings were 1.014 to 1.015

I brewed at 1.8 Bar and had no problems. the unit handled the pressure and I was able to get good readings through the stainless steel.

I've put one of these on my Christmas list. I think it's a great idea. One hydro test at the end of brew day for cross-reference and then just rely on the device for your mid fermentation data. Maybe a hydro sample at the end for a taster.

Mine finally turned up today
Will put the link up to the google doc over the weekend when I start a brew

J4tRety.jpg

It's roughly AU$160 right now considering the exchange rate.

How much was shipping/delivery?

kaiserben said:
It's roughly AU$160 right now considering the exchange rate.

How much was shipping/delivery?
Sorry m8, couldn't tell you as it was over 3 weeks ago and since then many brain cells have gone

Latest posts

Back