Brewometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi paulyman,

I can,t remember what i did but i just looked at the app on my android and just above calibrate temperature there was a checkbox for celsius.

Thanks Glomp, checked and had that checkbox ticked. The guys at tilt got back to me on news years eve their time (that's dedication) and got it sorted. Just required a formula added to a cell in one of the sheets. Was fine in crazy US units but even better now I don't have to try and convert in my head.

Mine is currently in it's first batch - a Session IPA that has pretty much finished up bang on 4.2% (SG 1.042, FG 1.010).

First off let me say..... I LOVE THIS TOOL. My previous method of determining gravity was a good old fashioned hydrometer, which was out by 4 - 6 points and was never consistent. Not to mention I normally took at least 3 samples (SG, 7 day, ~14 day prior to racking) which diminished my fermenter by ~600ml. I have not had to open the tap/fermenter and I have been able to track where it's at every day to ensure I'm doing things at the correct time. Thursday morning I checked, gravity was down to 1.017, so I bumped the temp up 3 degrees to finish it out/do a diacetyl rest. Normally I would have waited until Saturday to check with the hydrometer.

My only gripe is that I calibrated it in a bucket of 20 degree water prior to first use, but the calibration disappeared once I moved away from the tilt and it disconnected. I do not get internet where I ferment (in a basement garage), so I haven't worked out how I'm going to get it to log data to a sheet yet, but regardless, it's still so much better than what I had. While calibrating I found that it was out by 0.002, so I have just been compensating for this when I take readings. Once I figure out how to log sheets and keep it calibrated for an entire ferment, it will near be my favourite brewing tool (except for my grainfather obviously).

Expensive? Yes. Worth it? for me..... definitely.

Awesome, that's the best feedback about it I've heard so far. I'm running out of reasons not to tap the buy button :unsure:

Michael Burton said:
Awesome, that's the best feedback about it I've heard so far. I'm running out of reasons not to tap the buy button :unsure:
If you're like me and normally have to take samples, it's a no brainer. My original plan for my first brew with it was to take a hydro SG reading as well, but when it was nearly bang on what I was expecting from the get go, I didn't bother (expecting 1.041 and SG was 1.042).

PS. I bought one of your digital stirplates a few weeks ago - it may come in at a close 2nd for favourite brew toy soon :)

I have two brewometers and really don,t know what i would do without them. I ferment in a chest freezer so don,t really want to be lifting the fermenters in and out to take readings.

At the moment i am seeing quite different ferment times with neary identical batches when being brewed together . Probably a response to not having identical loads of yeasts.

I have had a batch of kolsch finishing in 36 hours while the kolsch next to it took about 4 days. I first thought it was a calibration error but it was probably the initial amount of yeast.

Calibration is very simple and only takes a minute or two.

I am seriously thinking about getting a third unit. The brewometers work beautifully when i want to change the temperature at different wpecific gravities as in Tasty mcDoles fast lager ferment method.

My typical brew is now kegged about 4 days from the start of ferment. It used to take 2 weeks just to make sure.

I also bought two stirplate kits off michael and they Work beautifully

Thanks for the stir plate comments, alas they are not as cool as Brewometer because they aren't wireless... yet.

So I just pushed the button on a Brewometer. It was AUD$210.03 total. You guys talked me into it. When SWMBO finds out I'm blaming you guys :lol:

Michael Burton said:
Thanks for the stir plate comments, alas they are not as cool as Brewometer because they aren't wireless... yet.

So I just pushed the button on a Brewometer. It was AUD$210.03 total. You guys talked me into it. When SWMBO finds out I'm blaming you guys :lol:
R&D mate :lol:

Just adding a very easy way to calibrate the brewometer.

Firstly calibrate in water with a SG of 1.000.

Second make up a table sugar solution off 12g sugar to 88 ml of water. This will give you a SG of 1.048.

I went to town and found my refractometer and one of my hydrometers were spot on but the plastic coopers hydrometer was off by about 5 points.

The brewometers now agree with my other instruments that I use.

For the temperature I just chucked the brewometers in a 1 litre jar and left them for about 15 mins so that they would have time to adjust. I then checked the water with a thermopen and calibrated on that.

Everything seems to be working perfectly now.

I got one the other day. I'm struggling to work out the temperature calibration. Firstly I noted that the tilt was out by 2 degrees compared to the STC (which I previously callibrated against 2 other digital thermoters). So I added a callibration point and it showed the correct temp for that particular point. But I am finding the tilt tends to sit on a fixed temperature even when my STC1000 is showing fluctuations. So I have a callibration point of Tilt: 21.1, actual 19.3. Then this morning I come out and my STC1000 is showing 19.8 but the tilt is still showing 19.3. Does it only change the display temp with fluctuations of 1 degree or something?

Coodgee said:
I got one the other day. I'm struggling to work out the temperature calibration. Firstly I noted that the tilt was out by 2 degrees compared to the STC (which I previously callibrated against 2 other digital thermoters). So I added a callibration point and it showed the correct temp for that particular point. But I am finding the tilt tends to sit on a fixed temperature even when my STC1000 is showing fluctuations. So I have a callibration point of Tilt: 21.1, actual 19.3. Then this morning I come out and my STC1000 is showing 19.8 but the tilt is still showing 19.3. Does it only change the display temp with fluctuations of 1 degree or something?
The brewometer is sitting in your wort and I'm assuming your STC is taped to the side of your fermenter or is in a thermowell? Or are they both in a bucket of water?

The Brewometer works in 1degree fahrenheit units. Thus it jumps up and down by 0.4 degrees celsius.

The STC-1000 moves in 0.1 degree celsius units.

My thermopen moves in 0.1 C but I think its accuracy is supposed to be 0.5

I was just about ready to pull the trigger/ push the button on a few of these but wanted to first find out how people are tweaking the temps on fermentation. This kind of overlaps with BrewPi, this device would be awesome to tell me the SG and temp during ferment but if I can't adjust the temp on the fridge its usefulness is limited for me.

What do people use?

BKBrews said:
The brewometer is sitting in your wort and I'm assuming your STC is taped to the side of your fermenter or is in a thermowell? Or are they both in a bucket of water?
I've got one of the large SS probes that dips a couple of cm into the wort. The instructions said it was already calibrated and could be sanitised and dropped straight into the wort. Since I had a brew in the fridge I did just that. Looking forward to doing some testing in a bucket of water when this brew is done to get a good idea of the accuracy and precision.

Glomp said:
The Brewometer works in 1degree fahrenheit units. Thus it jumps up and down by 0.4 degrees celsius.

The STC-1000 moves in 0.1 degree celsius units.

My thermopen moves in 0.1 C but I think its accuracy is supposed to be 0.5
Thanks that's good to know.

Dubzie said:
My self, i just set the temp of my STC, and adjust manually.

I haven't read the whole thread but i have come across this:
https://github.com/sibowler/brewpi-brewometer

Looks like you can setup a brewpi to read the brewometer to adjust your temps.
This is where I started looking, looks promising.

BrewPi are apparently working on gravity feature as well.

Sorry OT

Michael Burton said:

Michael,

Has yours turned up yet? I'm keen to hear your review. Very tempting.

Glomp said:
Second make up a table sugar solution off 12g sugar to 88 ml of water. This will give you a SG of 1.048.
A better suggestion is to use 10g of sugar and 90 g of water (or 20g and 180g): 10 oP = 1.040, whereas 12 oP is not exactly 1.048 (the conversion is not linear, 12 oP is 1.0484)

Best practice is to bake the sugar at 120 oC to constant weight before making up the solution and to make sure the solution is at 20 oC.

Sugar solutions have a bad habit of going off. You can make up a salt solution which will store well but to do it properly you'll need good scales

10 oP = 1.040 = 60.08 g/l salt.

Easy version is to take 12.0 g salt and add 195.7 g water.

* SInce salt is mildly hygroscopic, it must be baked to constant weight before adding.

Back