Brewman Dealz

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have a chat with Trent in a week or so, will be interested in his opinion, he is one of the best brewers I know - well worth paying attention to what he has to say.
Mark

Top marks to Brewman for the improved packaging, top notch.
My sealer can suck as well as seal so I'll be using Steve's packs in zip lock mode.

brewman dealz.jpg

Glad you like them Bribie.

I actually recall you suggesting this type of packaging some time ago. Now I think the 225g and greater is a nice fit for that type of pack.

I am careful to seal above the zip lock.

These foil packs I've been transferring unused hops into a vac seal bag as the vac dealer doesn't seem to suck them down. Do only some types (ie. non-channeled bag) only suit this style bag for re-sealing?

Maybe depends on the model of machine. Mine's a maxkon cheapy - I'll be using the Amarillo in a Four Pines Pale Ale tribute tomorrow, will report.

These foil packs I've been transferring unused hops into a vac seal bag as the vac dealer doesn't seem to suck them down. Do only some types (ie. non-channeled bag) only suit this style bag for re-sealing?
I use two type of vac bags. The green ones above in Bribie's picture and a square / rectangle type. I find both types work fine in my machine, but my machine is an industrial unit.

Update on Dealz
Centennial blew (Again)
Orbit Blew
Saaz there are one or two left
BBW 2 left
Bairds Choc will blow by the end of the week.
BB Medium Crystal is getting close to being out too.

Talking Freight.

On a side note. For pure Dealz most orders are less than 5Kgs. So I have put on the Dealz page the postage options for the various Satchel options for you to choose. I use Fastway and Auspost. So you can choose your freight option.

If your order includes other stuff that takes it over 5kg then these Satchel details are not relevant.

Note that if you are anywhere from Port Macquarie to Blue Mountains, Sydney and far as Ulladulla there could be better options than these. For example 1Kg to Sydney via Fastway is $9. But 25kg to Sydney via Fastway is $15, a lot better value.

And if there are be better options at the time of order I will advise. But I know there are some brewers where only Auspost works.

Here are the Satchel details.

---Dealz Postage---
Fastway Satchel 1kg (Fastway Network Only) $9.00
Fastway Satchel 3kg (Australia Wide) $13.00
Fastway Satchel 5Kg (Australia Wide) $16.50
AusPost Std Satchel 500g (Australia Wide) $9.00
AusPost Std Satchel 1Kg (Australia Wide) $12.50
AusPost Std Satchel 3Kg (Australia Wide) $14.50
Auspost Std Satchel 5kg (Australia Wide) $18.50
Auspost Express Satchel 500g (Australia Wide) $11.50
Auspost Express Satchel 1Kg (Australia Wide) $14.50
Auspost Express Satchel 3Kg (Australia Wide) $16.50
Auspost Express Satchel 5Kg (Australia Wide) $26.00

Cheers Steve

Just thinking about having a go with the simcoe resin tomorrow, so I had a look at the equation again. I assume people are adding it in as a bittering addition at say 60-90 minutes.

Anyone tried using it later on to reduce the bitterness imparted and get a bit more flavour and aroma coming through? I'm considering chucking in a full 10ml at say 30m and see what happens, unless this sounds like a terrible idea?

Comments?

J
Just thinking about having a go with the simcoe resin tomorrow, so I had a look at the equation again. I assume people are adding it in as a bittering addition at say 60-90 minutes.

Anyone tried using it later on to reduce the bitterness imparted and get a bit more flavour and aroma coming through? I'm considering chucking in a full 10ml at say 30m and see what happens, unless this sounds like a terrible idea?

Comments?
Just ran some calculations. In a standard 23 batch that addition will give around 80 IBU, so might be better to pull it back a bit.

I think late additions would be interesting and worth a try.

So you're saying that 10ml at 30m would give 80 IBU? :S

Using the equation posted earlier in this thread I get 8.56ml for 80 IBU, but what I'm unclear on is what timing for the addition this equation is based on.

[(80 x 23)/35] / [(61.4/10)] = 8.56ml

I was sort of thinking along the lines of if 10ml @ 60m gives 90 odd IBU, maybe 10ml @ 30m might give 50 odd IBU with more flavour and aroma?

I had the same problem with my sealer, I just sealed into the clear bag, into fridge out of sunlight, at this point, probably don't need the foil hey?!

G
So you're saying that 10ml at 30m would give 80 IBU? :S

Using the equation posted earlier in this thread I get 8.56ml for 80 IBU, but what I'm unclear on is what timing for the addition this equation is based on.

[(80 x 23)/35] / [(61.4/10)] = 8.56ml

I was sort of thinking along the lines of if 10ml @ 60m gives 90 odd IBU, maybe 10ml @ 30m might give 50 odd IBU with more flavour and aroma?
Good question.

Yes I believe the calculation is based off 60 minutes, but looking back on the YCH website it is not specified..

On their website there are some calculators and converters too.

See Here:
https://ychhops.com/brewing-tools/brewing-calculators

I am modelling it in brewbuilder now. so for 25L using the full 10ml at different times you get these bitterness numbers
60 = 103 IBU
40 = 91 IBU
30 = 79 IBU
20 = 63 IBU

Quite a few brewers have expressed an interest in Yakima Chief Hops (YCH), LupuLN2.
I am keen to get this product out to home brewers.

I am brewing with these tonight, and can't wait to get my hands on more! This stuff is very interesting..

Here is a bit about them..
_______
From YCH.
Developed by Yakima Chief – Hopunion, Cryo Hops® represents the most innovative technology in hop processing. It uses a proprietary cryogenic separation process which preserves all components of each hop fraction, producing two simultaneous co-products, LupuLN2® and Debittered Leaf.

LupuLN2 is the concentrated lupulin of whole-leaf hops containing resins and aromatic oils. It is designed to provide intense hop flavor and aroma, enabling brewers to dose large quantities of hops without introducing astringent flavours or vegetative cone material. During early R&D trials, brewers specifically cited ‘juicy’ and ‘resinous’ characteristics. LupuLN2 offers twice the resin content of traditional whole-leaf and hop pellet products, and should be dosed at approximately half the amount by weight.
______

There are a number of varieties and they can be used wherever hop pellets are used.

As a start I would like to get one variety, I am thinking Citra, as a bit of a common favourite.This variety is a Lupulin pellet so more stable than the powder.

I would like to get an expression of interest. I am thinking packing in lots of 50g, so (100g pellet equivalent).

If we can get enough interest I'd like to do this one around the $10 per 50g, mark. I won't know for sure until I pack it. (This is well below retail price)

The minimum order quantity is 5Kg. But I may have a significant partner in this first box.

I plan to have all packaging ready and open the 5kg pack and pack immediately the whole lot so it is as fresh as possible.

More varieties are available if this one works.

I would hope to get feedback on the product and how it compares to pellets in the finished product and how well it goes after being packed down from a 5kg block into 50g lots.

Expressions of interest open.

Cheers Steve

warra48 - 1
Judanero - 2
MTB - 3
barls-4 yurgy-5​

Latest posts

Back