Splitting Yeast Packs (in Pictures)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would this be suitable to use

CENTRIFUGE TUBE, PET, CONICAL, 15ML
These conical-bottom tubes are made of medical grade polyethylene terephthalate. Cap material is HDPE.
Features

• Leakproof
  • Black printed graduations with large white labelling area
  • Sterile
  • Excellent optical clarity
  • Scratch resistant
  • Solvent resistant
  • Dnase/Rnase-free
  • Non-pyrogenic<0.25 EU/mL
  • FDA registered
  • Autoclavable
  • Withstands freezing to -45°C

I find the 30ml ones with a flat bottom are better especially if splitting a pack into 4. They still have a conical bottom but sides extend down so sit on the bench better for filling. They come sterile and I have run them through the autoclave at work and in the pressure cooker at home once used with no probs. Can't remember though from where they came...

From Wolfy's bulk buy I think ;)

seamad said:
I find the 30ml ones with a flat bottom are better especially if splitting a pack into 4. They still have a conical bottom but sides extend down so sit on the bench better for filling. They come sterile and I have run them through the autoclave at work and in the pressure cooker at home once used with no probs. Can't remember though from where they came...
Thanks mate, these ones i were looking at were from proscitech. If any one knows a good place to buy some let me know, would greatly appreciate it :)

Wolfy said:
Yep, that's the theory, I'm sure you can find the scientific reason for it on the interwebs.

Isopropyl rubbing alcohol from most supermarkets, chemists or anything like that ... green bottle with a alligator on the front.
You need the water as its the build up of osmostic pressure inside the cell that causes lyses.

Back