Splitting Yeast Packs (in Pictures)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks wolfy great thread. Just scored 50 x 15ml vials in the post today should of went with the 100. I was thinking of doing a mini mash with a 10 minute boil then bottle (no chill ) in litre bottles for starters. Does anyone know of a bottle suitable?

I do most of my yeast prep next to an open flame, and don't bother syringing out the yeast slurry as I think it's just another opportunity to introduce contaminants. I also use 70% ethanol-water solution for all surface work as it quickly evaporates and leaves no odour or residue sometimes found with other antiseptic formulations - unfortunately it doesn't destroy bacteria or fungal spores and obviously it is still highly flammable even with 30% v/v water.

Okay, couple of questions - and the search function is being a real PITA.
  1. I am hoping that these test tubes would do the job HERE unless someone has a better, local option? (can't be arsed driving to the other side of Melbourne for such an inexpensive item, tbh).
  2. Do I need a stir plate? Can't I just make a starter as a beer would ferment? i.e. I don't have my fermentor on a stir plate, and the yeast seems to do okay.
  3. If I do need a stir plate... suggestions? I know there was a DIY build thread somewhere along the line, but again, struggling to find anything on the new search... and if people have any recommendations for commercially, purpose-built, stir plates (magnetic stirrers), I am all ears... the ones I have found seem to be very expensive (around $200, second hand).
  4. I see a lot of people using 70% alcohol solution... anything wrong with 100%? It's what I have.
Thanks for the article Wolfy.

Many thanks, and Jah bless.

You don't *need* a stirplate, but when doing splits you end up doing steps and if you have a stirplate you have continuously agitated and aerated starters, which means more efficient cell growth and thus less steppers and starter volume.

Ps: I just came back from cleaning a krausen mess from my 4L step! Sucks, all that yummy yeast

The differences between starters and beer is in one you're trying to make alcohol and in the other you're trying to make yeast, and years like aeration to get their jiggy on

I bought my stirplate from http://www.stir-plate.com

is it the Stir Plate 2000 that you have? Are you happy with it? Any issues with the Power Supply? What size starters have you successfully used it on?

In the US next week, if it ticks all the boxes, I'll see if I can get it shipped to my hotel.

Thanks Stux.

I have the stirplate 3000, run it up to 5L starters. With the largest starters I sometimes wish it had a bit more power. Has very good speed control though

No problem with the power supply, he can supply an international one which is universal.

There are retail locations too, but they'd have the domestic plug pack

5L starter, that sounds pretty intense. Okay, thanks for the info mate.

Spiesy said:
Okay, couple of questions - and the search function is being a real PITA.

1. If I do need a stir plate... suggestions? I know there was a DIY build thread somewhere along the line, but again, struggling to find anything on the new search.
  2. I see a lot of people using 70% alcohol solution... anything wrong with 100%? It's what I have.
Several DIY stir-plate threads, all it takes is a computer fan, a few magnets and power-supply, should be easy to do and cost you about $20 (if you don't have the stuff laying around already).
(I've not tried the search feature on the new-look forums, but I'm sure "DIY Stir plate" should turn up something.

70% works much better at killing stuff than 100% alcohol, with 100% the bugs shut up shop and survive better than if dosed with 70% stuff.
(I'm sure there is a much more technical description than that, but I hope you get the idea).

Wolfy said:
70% works much better at killing stuff than 100% alcohol, with 100% the bugs shut up shop and survive better than if dosed with 70% stuff.
(I'm sure there is a much more technical description than that, but I hope you get the idea).
really? weird...

so if I dilute my 100% alcohol, with 30% water... it's going to kill more bugs?

Wolfy said:
Several DIY stir-plate threads, all it takes is a computer fan, a few magnets and power-supply, should be easy to do and cost you about $20 (if you don't have the stuff laying around already).
(I've not tried the search feature on the new-look forums, but I'm sure "DIY Stir plate" should turn up something.
turns up lots of things, but not about DIY stirplates. the new search function is what the French would call "tre ordinaire".

Spiesy said:
turns up lots of things, but not about DIY stirplates. the new search function is what the French would call "tre ordinaire".
Here it is... link

Slightly OT sorry but where can you get the Alcohol from?
Do you buy wipes from somewhere or just a liquid?
Some suggestions where to buy would be grateful... (I'm in Tas)
Would Metho be sufficient?

I have been pretty lacks about it without problems to date but understand it is only a matter of time and just not worth the risk.

Hit up your local chemist
They should have Isocol or some other similar surgical spirit for use as an antiseptic, usually for people allergic to betadine or dettol

Spiesy said:
so if I dilute my 100% alcohol, with 30% water... it's going to kill more bugs?
Yep, that's the theory, I'm sure you can find the scientific reason for it on the interwebs.

Amber Fluid said:
Slightly OT sorry but where can you get the Alcohol from?
Isopropyl rubbing alcohol from most supermarkets, chemists or anything like that ... green bottle with a alligator on the front.

any problems with using polypropylene in a autoclave pressure cooker? I was told it had a melting point of 121 degrees.

Wikkipedia reports: At a pressure of 15 psi (103 kPa) above atmospheric pressure, water in a pressure cooker can reach a temperature of up to 121 °C.

Apparently 15psi is the standard operating pressure for a pressure cooker.

Sounds like it's cutting it fine. Would hate to have melted plastic in my yeast!

PET (polyethylene terephalate), on the other hand, has a melting point of 254 degrees, but it's not as commonly found in test tubes as what PP is.

Wolfy

Bloody excellent post.

The pics made the whole process very clear and logical.

If you have time, do you reckon you could do another post with how to make a stater and then use that in your brew (with pics).

Cheers
Paul

The Gas Man said:
Wolfy

Bloody excellent post.

The pics made the whole process very clear and logical.

If you have time, do you reckon you could do another post with how to make a stater and then use that in your brew (with pics).

Cheers
Paul
Starter is the easy bit.

Get a 2L erlynmyer flask from LHBS/science supply store. Fill with about 500mL of H20, cover tightly with a small square of foil and boil for 5-10 minutes to sterilise.

In a clean saucepan add 150g of malt extract and about 1/8 tsp of yeast nutrient to 1.5L of water. Bring to the boil for 10 minutes. Whack on a lid and sit in an ice bath to cool. Once cooled to about 20 degrees decant the liquid into flask.

Pitch yeast, put the foil cap back tightly on then shake the shit out of it to aerate.

Leave your starter to ferment for 36 hrs or so then pitch into your beer.

Piece of piss.

JDW81 said:
Starter is the easy bit.

Get a 2L erlynmyer flask from LHBS/science supply store. Fill with about 500mL of H20, cover tightly with a small square of foil and boil for 5-10 minutes to sterilise.

In a clean saucepan add 150g of malt extract and about 1/8 tsp of yeast nutrient to 1.5L of water. Bring to the boil for 10 minutes. Whack on a lid and sit in an ice bath to cool. Once cooled to about 20 degrees decant the liquid into flask.

Pitch yeast, put the foil cap back tightly on then shake the shit out of it to aerate.

Leave your starter to ferment for 36 hrs or so then pitch into your beer.

Piece of piss.
Why dirty a saucepan, get a borosilicate glass flask and do it all in that.

ianh said:
Why dirty a saucepan, get a borosilicate glass flask and do it all in that.
My saucepans are always clean. I've boiled in the flask a few times, but got sick of trying to manage boil overs. But boiling in the flask is definitely another option, just not my preferred one.

Latest posts

Back