2016 Qld xmas in july case swap tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Liam, i thinks the inverted cane sugar adds something to it, almost like additional spec malt. I just cracked one myself. It seems they had more interesting beers in the past LOL

I think the recipe called for more than a bottle of parisian essence, but i just added one, stolen from the missus, i think thats a 100ml :)

BTW, abv is about the 6.5% mark

Liam_snorkel said:
9. Seehuusen - Resch Extra Stout

Reading the recipe while sipping this one. It's black & roasty. The brett adds a fruitiness that I really love. Lacing well. It's not thick but there's a surprising amount of body considering its 30% cane sugar.
I was sceptical about the beers in this book but reckon I'll give a few of the darker beers a go. Did you use Parisian essence?

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469344692.354570.jpg

13. NickB - AIPA

Unfortunately my nose is blocked so can't report too much on aroma. Got a big whack of hops when I first poured it.

There's a really nice balance between aroma and bittering hops. There's a good amount of bitterness which is nice to chew on and it lingers nicely.

Great beer nick.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469359244.172903.jpg

bulkalebrews said:
Thanks mate! I truly appreciate the feedback.
I'm pretty pleased with the results, but yet to have a full bottle to myself. Will be cracking it next weekend.
As for the recipe, I'll have a look at my notes but it's very simple and easy. I'll be sure to post the full recipe soon.
Pretty sure I can dig up the grain bill :ph34r:

Ciderman said:
1. Acerola Tarwe - winkle

Pours a clear redish brown colour. Medium carbonation.

I'll be honest, i find brett very dominating. It certainly does it's best in this case but you get some resistance from the saison yeast which offers some spice and secondary characters.

The Acerola offers subtle fruit and sourness.

Pretty good beer. Brett too dominant for mine but that's a personal taste.

Again, love the interesting styles you put up.
Yeah, I possibly gave it too much time on this occassion, seems to be better balanced when its allowed to warm up a bit.

winkle said:
Yeah, I possibly gave it too much time on this occassion, seems to be better balanced when its allowed to warm up a bit.
I expect you will get some pretty good reviews. I'm just sensitive to brettanomyces.

winkle said:
I expect you will get some pretty good reviews. I'm just sensitive to brettanomyces.

Rode the midnight train tonight.
2016-18-malt-liquor-label.jpg
Poured clear and beer-like, with the head fading fairly quickly. Honey and caramel dominated the aroma. A bit of bite on the front when cold, then coming through caramel, spice, marmalade, berries all delivered on 4ft8.5" to the guts. Warming alcohol comes through, then the spice comes back - awesome! As it warms, the bite subsides and raisins come into the mix with the marmalade and caramel and it really smooths out. Really really nice - nice one Bribie. :)
2016-18-malt-liquor.jpg

23 - Rokaxe Chilli Saison

Didn't get a picture of the beer itself. I lost a few nose hairs on the aroma. Dipped my finger into the foam and had a taste. This is seriously hot.

I enjoyed a couple of sips but it was too hot for me. A chilli loving mate had the rest and he claimed it was relatively mild.

Maybe put more chilli in the next one...

1469492923162.jpg

Ciderman said:
23 - Rokaxe Chilli Saison
Dipped my finger into the foam and had a taste. This is seriously hot.
Sounds like the dipping should be restricted to fingers only...

22. Benken25 Breakfast Porter

Really enjoyed this. Like others have mentioned it didn't have much of the licorice or coffee but a really smoky bacon flavour.

Lacing till the last glass. Just delicious.

1469493576310.jpg

12. Lord Raja Goomba I - AIPA (A) or American Standard Bitter ( B) - both bottled 03.07.2016 - ready 25.07 but if you're desparate, probably okay to have now, just undercarbonated

AKA Swap Water.

If this is swap water I'll nude up and jump right in! Great AIPA. Big passionfruit and stonefruit. Mosaic?

Anyway, I couldn't tell what you were worried about until I saw what had settled in the bottle [emoji13]

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469514191.197676.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469514206.368345.jpg

madpierre06 said:
Was just gettingbstarted on Ciderman's Hingerbread Ale and git called into work. Very drinkable, nice balance with the gingery addition.
Forgot to post update...got to balance of bottle next morning, hadn't lost anything, still nicely carbed. Very different, nice drop this one mate. I wouldn't go out of my way simply due to the ginger aspect, but had I paid for this I wouldn't be demanding the five gold doubloons be refunded.

21 Robv - Dark Mild 3%

Looking at the lid I thought it was no. 2: smoked farmhouse ale and thought "you've got to be joking"
Then when I checked on the list.

Man... I thought I was guru of the milds, I don't really drink them as life's too short for low alcohol beer, but I have a bit of a sentimental attachment to the old Dart and in particular the likes of the old Lorimers Scotch, Brains Dark and Newcastle IPA etc (basically milds). I've brewed a couple for comps and got into the Nationals with one.

But Rob's mild takes it to a new level. Brilliant stuff, soft on the palate and chocolatey and refreshing at the same time. My criticism of Aussies trying to brew milds is that they often get it dead wrong, but this one ticks all the boxes. I take it you will be entering this in your State comp this year?
Wish I had another bottle.

Bribieg midnight malt Liquor.
Pours a nice copper colour with a quick fading head. The flavour and aroma of burnt sugar/fruit reminds me a bit of chimay red. As it warms the alcohol starts to show but nothing unpleasant. Really enjoyed this one.

I gotta say every beer i have had so far is a craker one of the best swaps yet

19. Angus wee heavy

The great thing about swaps is trying new styles. Can't say I've had a wee heavy before so i was pretty excited to taste this.

Presentation is seemless. Copper red colour with not a haze to be seen. Excellent head retention.

Sweet caramel malts dominate the agenda. Some fruit esters persisting in background with warming aftertaste.

Overall I'm quite enjoying this. Nice work.

1469519810317.jpg

Bribie G said:
21 Robv - Dark Mild 3%

Looking at the lid I thought it was no. 2: smoked farmhouse ale and thought "you've got to be joking"
Then when I checked on the list.

Man... I thought I was guru of the milds, I don't really drink them as life's too short for low alcohol beer, but I have a bit of a sentimental attachment to the old Dart and in particular the likes of the old Lorimers Scotch, Brains Dark and Newcastle IPA etc (basically milds). I've brewed a couple for comps and got into the Nationals with one.

But Rob's mild takes it to a new level. Brilliant stuff, soft on the palate and chocolatey and refreshing at the same time. My criticism of Aussies trying to brew milds is that they often get it dead wrong, but this one ticks all the boxes. I take it you will be entering this in your State comp this year?
Wish I had another bottle.
Thanks Bribie, much appreciated.
Only 1 bottle left so cant enter it in the comp

Latest posts

Back