2016 Qld xmas in july case swap tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motabika said:
Nope that's my red apple berlinner
Ahh - nice. Very Flanders red-like. A bit of funk and lovely sourness. Really enjoyed it.

rokaxe - your beer pleased a few people and disgusted one last night.
Quite nice with some mint in the glass. Glad I was sharing it though!

22. Benken25. Brewers breaky porter(smoked oatmeal porter with coffee and licorice 6.8%)

Smells and tastes like bacon. Actual bacon as in I can taste the pork. This is great! Not getting any coffee or liquorice, unless that's what you fed to the beast before converting it into bacon. Cheers, this **** knows smoke.

Liam's review was so spot on I will simply plagiarise it.

View attachment 90134

22. Benken25. Brewers breaky porter(smoked oatmeal porter with coffee and licorice 6.8%)

Smells and tastes like bacon. Actual bacon as in I can taste the pork. This is great! Not getting any coffee or liquorice, unless that's what you fed to the beast before converting it into bacon. Cheers, this **** knows smoke.

Liam's review was so spot on I will simply plagiarise it.

Parks plagiarisation of liams review was so spot on I will simply plagiarise his plagiarisation.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469322943.332611.jpg

Questions gotta be asked. Why is it taking so long to drink this beer? :ph34r:

Dan dan dan! OMG Dan!
So, like Bribie, i think Chilly beer is the wank stain of fermentables... Yuck!

HOWEVER, in a chilli porter, OMG Dan, wtf did you have to go and throw my perception of chilli beers for?? Sooo freakin' good, touch of heat at the back, but everything else going on, melon, coffee, fruits, sweetness from malt! Very well done, i know next chilli season will see a batch roll out of this, care to share the recipe?

12. Lord Raja Goomba I - AIPA (A)

Nice citrus aroma with a slight sweet crystal hint to back it up.

Flavour is great, melons packed with peach and some apricot. The bitterness is lingering but not over powering.

Cracker beer mate, quite enjoying this one.

1469340094457.jpg

Thanks mate! I truly appreciate the feedback.
I'm pretty pleased with the results, but yet to have a full bottle to myself. Will be cracking it next weekend.
As for the recipe, I'll have a look at my notes but it's very simple and easy. I'll be sure to post the full recipe soon.
seehuusen said:
Dan dan dan! OMG Dan!
So, like Bribie, i think Chilly beer is the wank stain of fermentables... Yuck!

HOWEVER, in a chilli porter, OMG Dan, wtf did you have to go and throw my perception of chilli beers for?? Sooo freakin' good, touch of heat at the back, but everything else going on, melon, coffee, fruits, sweetness from malt! Very well done, i know next chilli season will see a batch roll out of this, care to share the recipe?

13 - Nick's AIPA

Great aroma on cracking open the bottle. Very balanced, good one. Great malty rich backbone but also solid bitterness throughout. Juicy hop aroma and flavour.

I have to say the labels this year have been fantastic - great job ladies/gents!

aydos said:
12. Lord Raja Goomba I - AIPA (A)

Nice citrus aroma with a slight sweet crystal hint to back it up.

Flavour is great, melons packed with peach and some apricot. The bitterness is lingering but not over powering.

Cracker beer mate, quite enjoying this one.
Thanks bud, much appreciated. Given how much stress the bottling day disaster caused me, to get some nice feedback is better than expected.

Normally use TFFMMO or Perle Malt with this one. This time it was BB Pale Ale Malt. I like the maltier version, but this one is more sessionable from an ABV% view.

9. Seehuusen - Resch Extra Stout

Reading the recipe while sipping this one. It's black & roasty. The brett adds a fruitiness that I really love. Lacing well. It's not thick but there's a surprising amount of body considering its 30% cane sugar.
I was sceptical about the beers in this book but reckon I'll give a few of the darker beers a go. Did you use Parisian essence?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469344692.354570.jpg

14. Daniel Barringtons Chilli Nelson Chilli Infused Porter.

First sip of this all I got was a chilli zing but next sip got So much more complexity.

This has all the characters of a great robust porter and a great long lasting head with added bonus of the chilli which complements the beer without being offensive.

Well done Dan. You are possibly the sexiest Brewer I know and have the skills
To back up the looks

View attachment 90143

Out of curiosity who got the #20 with IPA on the cap? You are the only one with the keg hopped IPA out of them all.

2. Earle - Smoked Rye Farmhouse Ale

First pour is crystal clear, foamy head, initial aroma is estery & bready, taste is slightly sweet & grainy with a smokey background. Gave the bottle a swirl for 2nd pour and got more 'dupont'-like, smoke more apparent as the beer warmed up but doesn't dominate. Rye character maybe hidden or blends well with the spicy yeast character. Balanced beer that is what it says it is, I always look forward to your swap beers Earle, classy stuff.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469349960.978322.jpg

1. Acerola Tarwe - winkle

Pours a clear redish brown colour. Medium carbonation.

I'll be honest, i find brett very dominating. It certainly does it's best in this case but you get some resistance from the saison yeast which offers some spice and secondary characters.

The Acerola offers subtle fruit and sourness.

Pretty good beer. Brett too dominant for mine but that's a personal taste.

Again, love the interesting styles you put up.

1469350164091.jpg

20. Aydos Sour Imperial Stout

This is pretty epic. Doesn't taste anywhere near 9%. You've achieved quite a clean sourness here. It carries all the rich malt that you would expect but when the sweetness would usually kick in you get a nice sour twang.

It certainly has some depth of flavour, not quite session-able but i could certainly drink another.

1469351217059.jpg

Latest posts

Back