Vic Xmas In July 2008 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fents ive decided that it reminds me vaugly of something belgian (maybe it was Spill's dumb blonde last caeswap?). it must be the hops or yeast. whats the recipe?

24. Leigh - Golden Ale

Wow, that's a lot of alcohol in a beer, but it adds a pleasant, gently warming aspect, rather than an in-your-face alcohol hotness. Plenty of fruity aroma.
The only criticism I have of this beer is the hop flavour. It skulks around the edge of tasting, leaving an impression rather than a memorable taste. It's a kinda grassy, too-young hop flavour - maybe this beer needs to sit for another few months to round out these flavours.
But congratulations on making a near wine-strength beer without making it taste like rocket fuel.

By my taste there is no way this beer is 9.5%
I'm going to hazard a guess that someone mucked up the labelling and wrote 9.5% instead of 5.9%.
but of course I'm willing to be proved wrong!

Q

I agree here. I've actually heard of someone going to "eat their hat" if it is 9.5%.
No way.

Wardhog, big claims you are making here re: number 19. If I'm not mistaken, this is the same infection as mine (11) has. It has nothing to do with "kit twang", mine is not a kit. I believe big Q can name this one? Instead of trying to shift the blame while giving the brewer a reach-around just make an honest appraisal of what you're tasting.

Wardhog, big claims you are making here re: number 19. If I'm not mistaken, this is the same infection as mine (11) has. It has nothing to do with "kit twang", mine is not a kit. I believe big Q can name this one? Instead of trying to shift the blame while giving the brewer a reach-around just make an honest appraisal of what you're tasting.

now now gents this is supposed to be a thread for appraising beers that you have recievd in the swap not attacking one another ... calm it down a notch ,,

now now gents this is supposed to be a thread for appraising beers that you have recievd in the swap not attacking one another ... calm it down a notch ,,

I get it. I've bagged his LHBS. Apologies for that, I will say no more on the matter.

I wasnt having a go at you specifically wardhog or anyone for that matter, just a general comment to all, no need for personal attacks , it all about beer , if someone cant handle constructive critisism on a beer they have put out there for a 20 man critique team perhaps they shouldnt join swaps ....

I agree with whats been said about Fents Lager, I loved it!

I thought the sulphor was a bit too much, and I definitely got a slight pale belgian aroma thing happening, but the taste was great and well rounded, good job!

It inspired me to make my first all grain lager yesterday, its an Oktoberfest. 2 weeks in the fermenter at 10C and then at least a month at 4C to lager! It will really test my patience! :icon_drool2:

Cheers!

By my taste there is no way this beer is 9.5%
I'm going to hazard a guess that someone mucked up the labelling and wrote 9.5% instead of 5.9%.
but of course I'm willing to be proved wrong!

Q

I agree here. I've actually heard of someone going to "eat their hat" if it is 9.5%.
No way.

I was impressed with the taste of this...I've made a couple of "large" beers that tasted like metho :icon_drool2:

og on this one was 1.081, fg was 1.008 (it took 3 weeks to get there!) and my sg readings show that if I buggered up the og reading, it wasn't by much (the next reading was 1.073)...

I should also point out, that when I labeled it, I put down the difference between og and fg and left out the extra from priming.

Recipe will be up shortly. I'm going to make this one again in the next few weeks as I like it so much.

24. Leigh - Golden Ale

Wow, that's a lot of alcohol in a beer, but it adds a pleasant, gently warming aspect, rather than an in-your-face alcohol hotness. Plenty of fruity aroma.
The only criticism I have of this beer is the hop flavour. It skulks around the edge of tasting, leaving an impression rather than a memorable taste. It's a kinda grassy, too-young hop flavour - maybe this beer needs to sit for another few months to round out these flavours.
But congratulations on making a near wine-strength beer without making it taste like rocket fuel.

It's been in the bottle for 2 months already...I'm going to hide a bottle on your suggestion to see how it matures.

Sorry to be one to doubt you Leigh. It seems you've done very well to hide the huge abv of this beer. Well done.

leigh. ive just checked out your recipe. I dont make that out to be 9.5% with the fermentables youve got. I make it it about to be around the 6% mark. it still a good beer and proof you can make a good beer with K&K.

hmmmm, strange...I think I might have to run a calibration on my hydrometer from the sound of it...

hmmmm, strange...I think I might have to run a calibration on my hydrometer from the sound of it...
I wonder if your OG reading was affected by higher gravity wort at the bottom of the fermenter, possibly not stirred through thoroughly, or sitting in the tap? I made this same mistake a few years ago, thinking my OG to be about 30 points higher than expected, all because I didn't stir enough.

There's no way you could get a 9.5%abv beer from 2 cans of goop in 21 Ltrs. I would agree with CM2 in it being closer to 5-6% (not that I've tasted it yet - I was saving it 'till last! :party:
Hutch.

I wonder if your OG reading was affected by higher gravity wort at the bottom of the fermenter, possibly not stirred through thoroughly, or sitting in the tap? I made this same mistake a few years ago, thinking my OG to be about 30 points higher than expected, all because I didn't stir enough.

There's no way you could get a 9.5%abv beer from 2 cans of goop in 21 Ltrs. I would agree with CM2 in it being closer to 5-6% (not that I've tasted it yet - I was saving it 'till last! :party:
Hutch.

I think you're probably right hutch, doesn't take away from it being a great beer leigh!

Well done and thanks for a nice beer!

Q

8 - Weizenbock Att

Has a really fruity taste. Nicely crafted. Nice wheat beer.

Hey Wardhog & Cummins - Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully, my next brew will be better. :p

Still not going back to North Melbourne LHBS due to other reason.

18. Mark_M - Amarillo / Motueka APA

Golden-copper colour. Difficult to raise a small white head. The aroma was strong citrus/fruit hop aroma - I love the smell of amarillo which did stand out. Quite a fruity flavour to it. On my second glass, a little warmer, there was a nice malt flavour as well. Medium bitterness but very smooth.

This was a nice APA. I enjoyed it a lot. However it was a little undercarbed for my preference. A bit more carbonation and it'd go from good to excellent. (If I had a kegging set up and your special carbonation caps I'd be giving it a little extra burst before drinking!)

Thanks for the beer Mark. :icon_cheers:

cheers, Andrei

Hello Brewers!

I waited a couple of days before cracking open the 1st case swap beer.

It was 19. Alvin Ng's Mystery Beer - Carbonation was good (medium-high) and colour was light amber. Aroma was fruity and rubbery. Taste was fruity and rubbery.
I'm sorry but I couldn't finish it. It would be a much more drinkable beer without the rubber taste. It's not a garden hose causing the rubber taste??

Wasn't put off by this!

7. Hairofthedog - Saaz Pilsner - Carbonation good (medium) and colour dark straw. Aroma was malty and the very slightest hop aroma. Taste was malty but
was looking for more hop aroma and a lot more bitterness (I am a hophead though). I did enjoy it though. It's a fine lager! Also you ripped me off Hair of the dog. I only got 600mL :angry:

18. Mark_M - Amarillo / Motueka APA - A fantastic beer Mark. Congratulations. Carbonation spot on (medium), colour light amber and aroma malty and citrusy
and probably smelling of the mysterious Motueka hop! Taste is dominated by citrus hop flavour (and probably Motueka hop flavour!). Didn't want to stop drinking
this one but alas the beer stopped flowing :-(

Looking forward to the next one ...

Cheers

Superhero

Back