VIC 2016 Xmas in July Case Swap - TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJ_L3ThAL

Such rapp, very bass
Reaction score
Well, here we go. Please update when your beer is ready to drink if it has not already been marked...

Swappers)
1. whiteferret - Oatmeal Stout Bottled 30/6/16
3. technobabble66 - Ol' Dirty *******. (Old Peculier clone, (= Old Ale), ready to drink ~1/8/16, better if left to ~1/10/16)[/font]
4. AJ80 - oatmeal stout (ready to drink)
5. Grainer - Spare Parts Stout on Bourbon - Priming sugar added on 10th June.. give it at least a month before opening
7. DJ_L3THAL - Teninch Dampfbier (recipe courtesy of Les the Weizguy, minor hops tweak to what was in freezer) - Bottled 13/6, ready to drink once you have it. Fresh is best for this I believe. ABV 5.6%.
8. Mofox1 - ICBM (Inter Continental Bloody Muther) freakin' Stout. (Ready to drink? nah, give this baby some time. August/September)
9. VP Brewing - Black IPA (102.75 in the MM specialty IPA comp. Bottled ages ago so hops have dropped off a bit so drink ASAP!)
10. Grainer - Viennella Saison - Ready to drink
11. Reardo - My take on a Mountain Goat Summer Ale
12. heyhey
13. Masters Brewery-Belgian Double
15. Micbrew - 2 n from special bitter
16. JB - Amber AIPA 6% 45ibu - ready to drink when you are
18. Curly79. Chocolate and Rum Oatmeal Stout. 6%. Ready to drink after 1st of September.
19. Midnight Brew (non attending) - Dry Irish Stout - going to carb this low, pump with syringe
20. mmmyummybeer
21. thearn
22. TheWiggman - Patersbier
24. NO SHOW? Kunfaced - Black Brett Bitters (100% Brett ferment) probably give it some time to age

Well, here we go. Please update when your beer is ready to drink if it has not already been marked...

Swappers

3. technobabble66 - Ol' Dirty *******. (Old Peculier clone, (= Old Ale), ready to drink ~1/8/16, better if left to ~1/10/16)
5. Grainer - Spare Parts Stout on Bourbon - Priming sugar added on 10th June.. give it at least a month before opening
7. DJ_L3THAL - Teninch Dampfbier (recipe courtesy of Les the Weizguy, minor hops tweak to what was in freezer) - Bottled 13/6, ready to drink once you have it. Fresh is best for this I believe. ABV 5.6%.
8. Mofox1 - ICBM (Inter Continental Bloody Muther) freakin' Stout. (Ready to drink? nah, give this baby some time. August/September)
9. VP Brewing - Black IPA (102.75 in the MM specialty IPA comp. Bottled ages ago so hops have dropped off a bit so drink ASAP!)
12. heyhey
13. Masters Brewery - Belgian Double
16. JB - AIPA 6% 45ibu - ready to drink when you are
18. Curly79. Chocolate and Rum Oatmeal Stout. 6%. Ready to drink after 1st of September.
19. Midnight Brew (non attending) - Dry Irish Stout - going to carb this low, pump with syringe
20. mmmyummybeer
21. thearn
24. NO SHOW? Kunfaced - Black Brett Bitters (100% Brett ferment) probably give it some time to age

Good work 'king of chili' :D I think I'll need to rehydrate before looking at another beer for a couple of days.

Swappers

3. technobabble66 - Ol' Dirty *******. (Old Peculier clone, (= Old Ale), ready to drink ~1/8/16, better if left to ~1/10/16)
12. heyhey
19. Midnight Brew (non attending) - Dry Irish Stout - drink at end of August , going to carb this low, pump with syringe
20. mmmyummybeer
21. thearn

Swappers

12. heyhey
19. Midnight Brew (non attending) - Dry Irish Stout - drink at end of August , going to carb this low, pump with syringe
20. mmmyummybeer
21. thearn
22. TheWiggman - Patersbier - Ready to drink. Serve chilled.

Mine is right to go lads. 5.2%, been bottled since end of March. Awesome weekend and looking forward to the next one!

5. Grainer - Spare Parts Stout on Bourbon - Priming sugar added on 10th June.. give it at least a month or 2 before opening
11. Reardo - My take on a Mountain Goat Summer Ale - Ready to drink.
12. heyhey
20. mmmyummybeer
21. thearn
22. TheWiggman - Patersbier - Ready to drink. Serve chilled.

Mines good to drink now but will improve with a little age.

First cab off the rank bitches.
7. DJ_L3THAL - Teninch Dampfbier

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1468228080.796237.jpg

I went into this blind, had no idea what to expect. For some reason I really wanted to try it. First whiff I thought "Belgian, hell yeah", 'cause I love me a Belgian. It's remarkably similar to my Patersbier but has a bit more malt character - almost a smokey roast which can be detected in the aftertaste. It's not throwing hops but I'm guessing Styrians. Good sweetness, has alcohol supporting the malt, and to be honest I can't tell of it's dry or finished high because it works. The sweetness lasts well after the sip and can be detected in the mouthfeel.
I'll say now I'm pretty critical with my feedback (hopefully didn't offend anyone on the swap) but this is my kind of non-dark beer and it's brewed very well. Would buy a slab if heading out for a weekend on the river. In fact gonna look up the recipe and line up the brew. High standard set gents!

Thanks heaps Wiggman! I'm very glad you enjoyed it. Hops were Spalt in the boil and Hallertau Mitt late (flameout on a no chill batch), cheers for posting the feedback :beer:

Doh Martin.. Im missing this one :(

Grainer said:
Doh Martin.. Im missing this one :(

There was a few left over after we did the swap. Not sure what happened to them.

NOT CARBED YET .. WAIT FOR THIS ONE..

​I cheated and forced carbed it to get it ready since I opened it.

Nice colour, crystal.. Good aroma of pine (clean) good drinking.light sessional bitterness with deep crystal dominating malt but still in balance with hops... not gunna spend too much time cause I'm enjoying this !
It is really easy drinking.. thanks

Grainer said:

NOT CARBED YET .. WAIT FOR THIS ONE..

​I cheated and forced carbed it to get it ready since I opened it.

Nice colour, crystal.. Good aroma of pine (clean) good drinking.light sessional bitterness with deep crystal dominating malt but still in balance with hops... not gunna spend too much time cause I'm enjoying this !
It is really easy drinking.. thanks
Cheers Grainer.

Just on the carb, this might be an issue. I bottled from keg just before heading up to the swap, so if you have a carb cap - you might need to follow John's lead for this one. Apologies for the stuff around guys.

Ive had mine in fridge since Sunday so will give it a crack this weekend and report back for you [emoji106]

11. Reardo - My take on a Mountain Goat Summer Ale - Ready to drink.

Creamy off white head , tight bubbles which is good, head laces through out beer. Hazy straw colouring, Smell of light malt and subtle possible DMS/banana/fruit, Hop aroma pretty much absent all driven by malt and yeast.
Medium mouth feel with low to moderate carbonation, which should be higher. From memory Mountain Goat uses strictly Gladfield Ale malt (the rep always boasts this and they are not afraid of admitting it.. they tried a different malt once and their beer drinkers revolted! - Ask Dermott he will tell you what they use !) for this. The malt profile does not seem to emulate the Mountain Goat receipe and also needs a little more hop. but their been is very malt driven. It is a fairly nice been but I think you need to optimise this a little more to clone this beer (this is all from memory).

If it was using Nelson Sauvin and Motueka hops i'd expect a more hoppy profile, but I may be wrong.

Cheers

John

Thanks John. I appreciate the feedback. I was kind of flying blind when thing to emulate the summer ale. I've used carb drops when bottling, which never occurs (I have kegs).
I also realised after bottling, dry hopping would have probably helped too.
You've inspired me to change it up a little now! Cheers, Reardo.

Sorry to say but this is infected IMO. there is a strong acid aldehyde (Green apple) that is dominating the beer.. Head is good, slightly opaque - probably due to infection. Good colour, mouth feel is slightly silky, but requires some work on sanitation. Sorry but this one went to the beer gods.

cheers

Slight haziness (may be from wifey dropping bottle about 4 hours ago on shelf in fridge) No head which is out of style as I understand, large bubbles accumulating on side of glass. medium-Dark straw. Strong aroma on pour. Very strange aroma! Has some sort of sulfur/sour smell to it. Strong yeast characters and phenolics dominating malt/hops. Pretty much no hop.. Medium body appropriate to style. Seems to be fermented warm which I think is appropriate for a poor mans drink - (dampfbier). Haven't had one of these before so critiquing is sort of difficult to know what t expect. Not sure if it is pilsner type malts I am tasting and possibly DMS.. Yeast does give some background rockmelon type tastes for me.

Thats all I got.. tried to critique best I could..

Grainer said:

Sorry to say but this is infected IMO. there is a strong acid aldehyde (Green apple) that is dominating the beer.. Head is good, slightly opaque - probably due to infection. Good colour, mouth feel is slightly silky, but requires some work on sanitation. Sorry but this one went to the beer gods.

cheers
Sorry to hear that Grainer - you may have got a bung bottle as the others I've tried have not had this character.

Latest posts

Back