VIC. 2015 Xmas in July - Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Launched...stage-1 bummock onto cold 1028 cake, busted up the cake with the 1st litre then dumped the rest on with plenty of agitation. Getting the stage-2 vessel ready for the morning. I plan to not take my first sg till xmas. Hopefully bottl boxing day.

Has anyone tried WLP028 with this, or any other beer for that matter?
I've got a "starter" batch of Irish Red going ATM and it's chewing a slow 'n steady 2 points per day for almost the entire fermentation (even while blowing out the top 3 times!), the last several days of which have been at 21*c.
Is it generally a slow and steady tortoise (a quick search would suggest so), or should I be a little concerned with the health of this batch?

So just cracked one, carb is perfect, probably a touch dry to me but what do I know about malty beers ;) bittering is spot on for it, head is hanging about. Definitely needs longer to meld, aroma to me isn't that great but again, I'm used to a face full of hops....

Maybe all it needs is some hop shots in it....

This is a straight version, not form the barrel.

Bummock #1.jpg

Yob said:
Maybe all it needs is some hop shots in it....
Philistine!! It's a bloody Scotch Ale! Pft...!

I'd be interested in drinking it in about 18 months, but not before.

BTW, when's the plan to decant the Whisky-barrelled versions off? Now THOSE I'm interested in trying early as a comparison to the "straight" version. Then put them in GLASS BOTTLES for a long sleep.... ;)

Ha! Ha!

I caught me a good one there.. Put that in just for you ;)

Decant in February I rekon, dunno,will pull a bottle out for new years, force carb it and see where it's at.. I'm happy to leave there till Feb though

I'm just hoping Wool-yorm Wooluss comes back from the dead and treats all of you like Englishmen. :ph34r:

antiphile said:
I'm just hoping Wool-yorm Wooluss comes back from the dead and treats all of you like Englishmen. :ph34r:
Who derrr wot???

Yob, are you sure you snapped the right one? That's a LOT paler than I expected & nothing like the test-batch I ran before the Bummock & even the batch of last-runnings from the main batch we did (it was definitely darker with a red hue to it)?

Edit: Erm...I think you may need to work on your sanitation.....'looks like rat droppings on the table in the background.....

Erm... Notes have never been a strong point of mine... But the lid did say bummock.. Not that that by itself is definitive..

Ill have a look at the others

Sad news on my bummock brew. It looks like mine may not have finished fermenting fully when I bottled it as I have had at least 6 exploding bottles. I got back into the brewery yesterday after being up in Qld for the last 6 weeks and there was shattered glass all over the place and brownish beer stairs on the walls from the exploding bottles. Luckily most were contained in boxes but i still have a bit of a mess to clean up. I had also turfed by remaining bummock brews just to be on the safe side. [emoji22]

that looks like a barley wine or something, not the scotch ale me thinks

Finally drained/bottled my Irish Red Ale starter batch off a WLP-028 (Edinburgh Ale) yeast cake on Tuesday (12/1/16) and poured my cube of the Kinglake Wee Heavy onto it.
Came to 23L (inc ~0.5-1L yeast).
OG=1.088-90.
Thermostat set to 18*C

Fwiw, threw 4L into the FV and agitated it (plus the yeast) every couple of minutes for a couple of hours, then filled up to 6L and regularly agitated for another hour, then filled up to the 23L.
Fired up within 12 hrs. Solid krausen within 24hrs.
Smelled pretty damn awesome.

Fingers crossed!!

OK, i'm struggling to find the final recipe for this...
Does anyone know what finally went into the cubes? - either the full-size version or the scaled down version.
Thanks! - just trying to plug a few numbers into a spreadsheet.

The final recipe was 200Kg of Golden Promise (actually 175 of GP & 25kg of Maris Otter due to a bit of a stuff-up) & 1Kg of Roast Barley (actually, maybe a bit more due to another stuff-up).

I have no idea of the final volumes into the cubes.

There's also the fact that I got another brew out of the last-runnings (that were otherwise going to be ditched) of 40+L @ 1057, so there was still plenty left in the grains that didn't make it to the boiler.....

MuthaTrucka. Came home to discover the ~5L headspace was not enough. Yeast everywhere. [emoji107]
Still smells awesome [emoji106]

^^^
Cheers.
I was already starting to suspect it might've involved a thumb or 2. [emoji57]
Especially when I came across the post describing how the RB was milled. I think it was guessed 2kg at the time...
Either way it's ~1% RB.

Any guess on the hops addition? Was it 1.5kg to the ~202kg grain?

Im just having my first glass (ignoring the one I posted previously :blush: )

OH.... MY.... EFFING... God..

This is the barreled version and the aorma.. dear gods it's devine...

Its being served pretty cold but its so bloody smooth... The Whiskey note is up front but quickly fades into the malt on the back, same on the palate, bitterness is about spot on for this and everything plays well, IM kinda glad we pulled it from the barrel when we did, any longer and it would have been over powered.

and I'm giving away a keg of this at the Highland Games? :excl: !

bum1.JPG

bum2.JPG

really needs a bit of daylight to capture it better...

Latest posts

Back