SS FV EOI

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Ali Express ones look the duck's nuts.. Though I've been stung by that website before.

Haven't seen the FVs in the original post, but I'd be keen for at least one 30L one.

Is there a link or suttin I can have a look? A sterile sample port (fancy tap/faucet) and clampable lid would be handy.

mb-squared said:
Yes, this is what I actually do and it works well -- so long as you can get comfortable with not being able to *see* whether it is clean or not. I'm not sure what he's referring to with the "$20 for the dip tube fitting". What is that? I'd love to set mine up to do closed transfers and/or pressurized fermenting but haven't yet gotten around to it. Primarily because I thought it was going to set me back a few hundred to go with one of these for each of my fermenters: http://www.brewershardware.com/American-Sanke-Keg-Fermenter-Kit-with-Thermowell.html

but if there is a cheaper option, I'd love to know about it...
Keg king don't supply their kegs with coupling or dip tube, so it's just a keg with internally threaded 2 inch tri clove (keg with out the "D" /"A"/"S" fitting, you buy them separately for $20), the bonus is you can specify a D couple with the same cir clip setup used in American Sankes making it easier to disassemble. That fitting linked would clamp straight on, no further work required.

ED: context

So a pic of what I was talking about

pressure ferment.jpg
There has been no modification of the keg itself though you could take 20mm off the dip tube to avoid yeast and trub. The keg coupler has had the NRV removed gas side to allow control of CO2 release. All transfers able to be done under pressure. Simple and effective.

ok, so the aliexpress 'milk pots' I ordered arrived! The box was pretty beat up the pots had dents in them at the base - I'm in contact with the seller and we will see what they say...

Otherwise the pots are good - standard cheap chinese pot. I've had water in them since last night - no signs of rust at all. Not magnetic at all. The seams look fine. slightly messy on the outside, but good on the inside. They were flexible with packing, and will put pots inside of pots. The smallest 'milk tea' pot had some really poor machining marks on the outside of it - again, will be in contact with the seller about it. The other two larger ones look great. The largest pot looks like it was squeezed and is no longer completely circular (more of an oval) so I'll be putting a strap around it to see if I can get the shape back. The other two are fine (protected by the outer pot I think). I think part of the issue is that the pots are very tall, and lose rigidity as they get taller. That said - the 300mm diameter one is fine. Flexes slightly if you squeeze it hard.

The 350mm diameter has a little more give. I'm guessing they may not be the full 0.7mm thickness stated - I'm pretty sure the craftbrewer pot I bought was 0.7mm thick when I put a micrometer on the holes I put in it. I will be putting a hole in the base of the big one sometime in the next month for use as a malt pipe (it's massive if you were wondering) and will measure and report back. I'm leaving water in the pots for a couple of days to test them out for rusting.

But... the 300mm diameter x600mm high looks like a good option for anyone looking for a fermenting stainless pot. I went with taller as I can still get 2 of them in an upright fridge. I think a plastic fermenter is about 500mm high to the lid thread.

aliexpresspots03.jpg

aliexpresspots05.jpg

aliexpresspots06.jpg

aliexpresspots07.jpg

aliexpresspots08.jpg

aliexpresspots09.jpg

aliexpresspots11.jpg

So Lael when you mention the seams what are you talking about? The rolled bit at the top? Sorry, I can't see seams in the pictures and am trying to work out what you mean. If you mean the rolled part at the top is the rest of the pot seamless? Or wait, is that a seam on the left side of the big one in the pic with the fermentor?

Cheers for posting about your order.

I don't think the pics are high result enough to see. They are a standard pot - what looks like a base and then a rolled cylinder. Seams / welds at the bottom of the pot (about an inch up) and up the side of the pot where the side wall was welded together.

The biggest issue I've had with cheap pots is that the seams aren't treated correctly and rust. The rolled tops look fine. Could have been rolled slightly more, but I'll compare with the others I've got.

Ruckus said:
The Ali Express ones look the duck's nuts.. Though I've been stung by that website before.

Haven't seen the FVs in the original post, but I'd be keen for at least one 30L one.

Is there a link or suttin I can have a look? A sterile sample port (fancy tap/faucet) and clampable lid would be handy.
been trying to get traction on something like >THIS<

efforts ongoing

Try here I e-mailed them and got the following reply

"Thanks for the email there is a list for the brew bucket so will put you on it we are trying to work out a special presale offer so will add your name to the list.

Thanks for the interest."

If interested may be worth dropping them a line too.

They do have an aussie rep. It's posted here somewhere. I have had a chat to the bloke. They are in the pipeline but a little ways off.

Have you guys seen the olive oil containers at winequip.com?

I know a few local brewers that use them as FVs, and they look the business. I think they retail around $200 for the 30L vessel, but maybe if a bunch of people went in they might change their mind.

Edit: Yob, they look pretty good, but there's no info on their volume. I'd hate to outlay hard-earned beer money on a 5L fermenter. Have you made contact with the seller?

The brew bucket looks ideal in terms of shape and design for shipping. Really happy to see a competitive alternative to expensive conical fermenters.... Although I'd still see myself buying a conical if I had the spare cash just for the snob and bling factor :p

Ruckus said:
Have you guys seen the olive oil containers at winequip.com?
I know a few local brewers that use them as FVs, and they look the business. I think they retail around $200 for the 30L vessel, but maybe if a bunch of people went in they might change their mind.
Edit: Yob, they look pretty good, but there's no info on their volume. I'd hate to outlay hard-earned beer money on a 5L fermenter. Have you made contact with the seller?
The one I've looked at comes in a 35l which would be perfect I rekon

The winequip vessels have a rounded bottom - some cheap knockoffs have a tin-can style rolled seam, but the real deal from winequip have a rounded bottom similar to the plastic fermenters.

Is there a price for your FVs yet, Yob? I'd be keen if the price is right.

Anything I can do to help? Some of these mobs move slowly on small purchases.

Latest posts

Back