Conical fermentor EOI

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Judanero (Justin)

I may be interested in one of the 30 litre units if can grab it in Sydney before it gets to Newcastle. If that will keep your order on track.

Do I have to change my name to Gap?

Bulk buys are a pain to organize. Only once the money is in the account and the order arrived and split and everyone happy can you call it done. I am happy to organize them but stress the trubb out of me!.

zwitter
james

James- 'Gap' is for the member named Gap, as it's the first time I have imported a decent order from abroad I have found it an "eye opening" experience that's for sure!

DT- No mate it doesn't, just the butterfly onto the base of the cone.

ORDER UPDATE:

I received an update from the supplier saying that the freight forwarder hadn't included clearance fees in their quote, and the only way they were able to was to deal on DDU terms (direct to my door freight).

The quote was not cool. I had a good conversation with a customs broker on the phone that told me that the other local quotes I had were within the ballpark of what I should expect to pay. Unacceptable.

I figure that I am likely to order more products from abroad in the future, likely via sea freight to save money; so I'm nearly sold on paying the money to be able to provide my own digital clearance (requires registration with the ICS).

This will keep the above quoted prices the same. Just as it looks like it's all sorted something else pops up, I'm working through it at the moment but need to triple check everything is in order before pulling the trigger.

Good on you mate.

By the way, my sister in law got back to me with one hell of an email. We are going to sit down together so she can explain it.

20' container esque.

Wasn't what I had in mind BUT, I'm not sure what I'm reading yet.

Will throw in if it helps of becomes an option.

Judanero, possibly a telecon with you me and my SIL to learn a thing or two?

zorsoc_cosdog said:
Good on you mate.

By the way, my sister in law got back to me with one hell of an email. We are going to sit down together so she can explain it.

20' container esque.

Wasn't what I had in mind BUT, I'm not sure what I'm reading yet.

Will throw in if it helps of becomes an option.

Judanero, possibly a telecon with you me and my SIL to learn a thing or two?
I think that would be worthwhile, certainly couldn't hurt. The fees as explained to me by the broker that add up the most is the labour to remove the cargo at the dock: finding the right container, unloading it, checking the documentation, forklift operation etc

Welp, if you have to upscale to a container and need more to fill it, I may be back in
Ended up finding a ute under my budget so didn't spend all my savings
Would downsize to a 30L though, as much as I'd like a 60

Judanero, PM your email address and we will catch up to talk through containers with my SIL

Container ..... does that mean we will need to upgrade our order to more units ........ how awful (how do you intimate sarcasm on a post ..... oh hang on i think i just did) ........ i feel a shopping spree coming on ...... :D

Gents,
Here are some numbers to get our head around.

20' container
Container hire
To that supplier Empty
Pickup full
Deliver to port(Yangshan)
Yangshan processing
$1200 Aud ish

Sea freight
$1000 Aud ish

Receive Port of Brisbane (say)
Processing
Customs
$1300

Delivery side loader inc wharf booking fee
$650

Has to be non-residential for customs to be happier.

As you can appreciate, these numbers bounce around with forex. A formal quote will come to me later.

But, I think this exercise is educational first.... And potentially practical.

We should NOT ASK but negotiate a better price on the units if we were to proceed.

Potentially estimate packaging loss and packing efficiency to see how many we would fit into a container.

Duty and Tax to be explored.

Cosdog

I'm still keen for that telecon. My SIL is transitioning to senior management so it is hard to get her.

To work out what you'll get in a container, just estimate what you can put on a pallet stacked no more than 2.5m high and then multiply by 10 for a 20 foot container equivalent. Pallets are 4' x 4', neither pallets nor containers are metric (thanks Seppoes).

I imagine even the Chinese will charge you extra for hand stacking a container (eg not putting the contents on pallets and running them into the container on a forklift)*. Having done it with export malt, it's a PITA. I am dead certain the Australian end will charge like the proverbial for unpacking it.

If they can get the 30 l jobbies into a box 400 x 400 x 600, you'll get 36 on a pallet. If the 60 litre jobbies are proportional, they'd box up to 500 x 500 x 750 , so you'll get 12 on a pallet.

Accordingly a container would be 360 * 30 l or 180 * 30l + 60 * 60 l or 120 * 60 l or just about any number between these. The charges mentioned above thus add about $12 per piece to the cost of a 30l and about $35 to a 60l.

For some out of the box thinking.......yeah, not sorry.... I'm wondering if the fermenter geometry might be adjusted so they stack - traffic cone style.

Yup, great idea: the 1.5mm WT is way overkill so they will cope with the load no problems. If you allow 50mm clearance for protection when nested and some space for the lids you could stack the 30 l ones 8 high and the 60 l ones 6 high, doubling your container capacity.

UPDATE:

I'm just waiting to hear back from Asciano regarding the stevedore associated fees at port (and reductions where applicable).

I'm reasonably confident I'm across all the relevant documentation (and time frames) submission requirements, I am still basing my quotation under LCL terms to avoid the GST and duty; something that I think would be hard to do with a whole container.

Will keep posted.

Is it too late to get in on this? I'd like a 60l and I'm in Melb.

I can maybe help with some importing tips, as I do it a lot in my day job. Looks like you've got most of the details covered though.

Sorry forgot to update this, I spoke to one of the yardmasters at Port Botany he said something to the effect of "why the **** you would you put it on a ship, the c*nt will take fuckin ages to get here from China and the steves are still gunna cost what they cost mate. Better off shipping the c*nt in by air I reckon".

Working from the best estimate I got the cost per unit wasn't viable anymore, the only way I think it may be possible would be a shipping container full and that means waaaay more hassle in terms of GST and duty calculations, transport, and storage of the excess units until they are sold.

TLDR; Cost blew out, not worth the hassle.

I may re-visit this at a later date but for the interim I think I'll just stick to what's working.

Thanks for your efforts in trying to get this going.
Appreciated.

Regards

Graeme

Fair enough
I think down the track, a mass buy from a provider who does the lot, these cones, fittings, ball valves, etc would be a great idea if we're going to do a full container
Get it all shipped to Sydney, then split into Sydney, Brisbane, Newy, Melbourne batches if anyone is brave enough to drive the whole way and ute/trailer it back to their respective cities
Cheers for the massive effort Judanero and zorsoc

Latest posts

Back