SS FV EOI

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll post a pic tomorrow - but I'm currently fermenting in one of the aliexpress pots I bought. Is working a treat - interesting to compare to the plastic fermenter that got the other half of the batch. Wanted to test sanitisation. No starsan - put about three litres of water in the bottom, put the lid on and boiled for 20 mins. So far a great ferment and looking forward to cleaning it easily.

I think the brew buckets I posted are a good combination for price and utility. Plus, actually being a pot - stick it on the stove to sanitise it before fermenting in it. So simple.

I'm unsure about how to do a bulk buy across states though? There is a risk with buying a batch sight unseen.

I can ask about a bulk order of the pots I am using now? They are a smaller diameter and taller (30cm dia x 55cm / 60cm tall). Thin metal, but well finished - no spring clamps on lid etc.

People interested in pursuing either option?

Spiesy said:
^not to be confused with the actual BrewBucket, of course.
Definitely not, but flat bottom = boil to sanitise and price means 3 or potentially 4 vs 1...

Stacking and cone on brewbucket are cool though!

I'd be interested in one too, I like the idea of easy sanitation. What did you do for a tap Lael?

no tap yet... the biggest issue I see is Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney.... I can ask about shipping to 3 ports, but would need someone in each location to be the point person for customs clearance etc.

Can prob find a tap similar to the mangrove jack's on aliexpress. Partially depends on where the weld is...as you don't want to cut through it.

gotta add, I'm going to contact a couple of the suppliers about the olive oil tanks too, will try to do so tmoz..

we might need a bloody poll to see which way to go :lol:

I don't see why you couldn't fire up a ss brewbucket ;)

One day I'll have a conical, made of glass. Toughened wrapped glass.

lael said:
ok, so the aliexpress 'milk pots' I ordered arrived! The box was pretty beat up the pots had dents in them at the base - I'm in contact with the seller and we will see what they say...

Otherwise the pots are good - standard cheap chinese pot. I've had water in them since last night - no signs of rust at all. Not magnetic at all. The seams look fine. slightly messy on the outside, but good on the inside. They were flexible with packing, and will put pots inside of pots. The smallest 'milk tea' pot had some really poor machining marks on the outside of it - again, will be in contact with the seller about it. The other two larger ones look great. The largest pot looks like it was squeezed and is no longer completely circular (more of an oval) so I'll be putting a strap around it to see if I can get the shape back. The other two are fine (protected by the outer pot I think). I think part of the issue is that the pots are very tall, and lose rigidity as they get taller. That said - the 300mm diameter one is fine. Flexes slightly if you squeeze it hard.

The 350mm diameter has a little more give. I'm guessing they may not be the full 0.7mm thickness stated - I'm pretty sure the craftbrewer pot I bought was 0.7mm thick when I put a micrometer on the holes I put in it. I will be putting a hole in the base of the big one sometime in the next month for use as a malt pipe (it's massive if you were wondering) and will measure and report back. I'm leaving water in the pots for a couple of days to test them out for rusting.

But... the 300mm diameter x600mm high looks like a good option for anyone looking for a fermenting stainless pot. I went with taller as I can still get 2 of them in an upright fridge. I think a plastic fermenter is about 500mm high to the lid thread.

Hay Lael, just doing some ringing around now and sorry if I missed it but what was the coin outlay on these bad boys just for comparison?

By the by, the Olive oil drums have a 1/2" female BSP thread so should fit a ball valve with little issue... waiting for a call back

OK, heres the rub...

Rounded base (as in seamless)

30lt Olive oil Drums = $115 + GST (16 in stock) (Wholesale prices)
50lt Olive Oil Drums = $135 + GST (50 in stock) (Wholesale prices)

SS Taps are an additional $28 (probably + GST) but as mentioned above a 1/2' Ball valve will do the job.. shit even the plastic ones would fit with no issue or additional cost to most folks.

I rekon Id probably go the 50lt ones for the additional volume making it easy to cope with vigorous ferments without needing to drill and fit a blow off to the 30lt.

Look back through the thread a bit, there were some photos, otherwise I'll post some in the morning I got on an email

I'm hedging my bet for two of the 50lt ones :)

Ed: will get the dimensions for the 50l tmoz total brain fade on that today...

I'll put my hand up for one 30litre thanks Yob, are these the ones I PM'd you about? I can post up the measurements I have if they are.

Yob said:
Hay Lael, just doing some ringing around now and sorry if I missed it but what was the coin outlay on these bad boys just for comparison?

By the by, the Olive oil drums have a 1/2" female BSP thread so should fit a ball valve with little issue... waiting for a call back
Hey Yob,

So the total was $225 for the three pots delivered - so they aren't much cheaper than the olive oil containers and have a seam. I can ask about a bulk order and see what they say about pricing. They were flexible about shipping the pots inside each other to save that way.

The wall thickness on them is 0.5mm not 0.7mm - I'm trying to get a partial refund now - didn't hit the dispute button on aliexpress and should have. The wall thickness goes a long way to explaining the damage in transit. I would guess it wouldn't be as big an issue with a larger order.

For the price I like the little pot I posted ages ago that Les pointed out the other day. Buy a few of those @ appx $50 each for sure. Buut... someone want to order a test one? :)

Back