Qld Ahb Xmas In July Case Consumption,

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Taking a lead from Doc - This is the topic to place your reviews of the beers in the QLD Xmas in July Case.
DON'T put your recipes in here. Instead post them into the RecipesDB and provide a link.

Here are the beers and the details with info on when to consume.

1. Ross - Ruination APA2 - Force carbonated & bottled 7th July - drink early
2 Browndog - Indian Pale Ale - Force carbonated, bottled 6th July - drink early
3 Mothballs - Australian Pale Ale bottle primed with sugar 29th June, drink after 3 to 4 weeks
4 Altstart - Zwiec Polish golden Pilsner - force carbonated - drink early
5. Jye - Hopburst APA - Force carbonated & bottled 20th June - drink early
6. TidalPete - 'Hey Porter' Porter - Bottle primed 29th May
7. bconnery - AWB - Bottled 14th May. Nice now. Should benefit from 6months+.
8. PistolPatch - One stubby Austrlain Dark Ale (PP1) and one Australain Light Ale (PP2). Bottled from keg tonight so drink now esp PP1 as is a little under-carbonated.
9. Screwtop - Tick Hill Brown Ale - Bulk primed and bottled 14th June. Best after 9th Aug.
10. Mark - Probably a Golden Ale.
11. Bindi-The Dreaming AAA Less then one week in the bottle, wait 4 weeks min. ie 12 Aug.
12. InCider - Munich Honey Lager - Ready now.
13. Webby- Stout Bottled today it will be dated
14. monkale - Cherry popper AAA
15. Joel - Pissed Newt german lager - CC 31st May. Bottle primed 12th June. Ready 12th
16.Batz-Alt...... Drink now or over the next month or so

Edit - still a few missing details - come on guys....

Cheers Ross...

My Ruination ale is now in the recipe database (There's no option for DCL US56 that I could see)

Hope you guys enjoy :chug: ...

cheers Ross

Not sure if the following helps but have arranged the above list in, 'Ready By,' order. Some I have guessed at so please move around as required. You'll notice mine are first because, let's face it, they're only going to get worse!

Drink Now

8. PistolPatch - Austrlian Dark Ale (PP1) Australain Pale Ale (PP2). Drink immediately!
1. Ross - Ruination APA2 - Force carbonated & bottled 7th July - drink early
2 Browndog - Indian Pale Ale - Force carbonated, bottled 6th July - drink early
4 Altstart - Zwiec Polish golden Pilsner - force carbonated - drink early
5. Jye - Hopburst APA - Force carbonated & bottled 20th June - drink early
12. InCider - Munich Honey Lager - Ready now.
6. TidalPete - 'Hey Porter' Porter - Bottle primed 29th May
16.Batz-Alt...... Drink now or over the next month or so

Drink in One Month (August 10)

3 Mothballs - Australian Pale Ale bottle primed with sugar 29th June, drink after 3 to 4 weeks
9. Screwtop - Tick Hill Brown Ale - Bulk primed and bottled 14th June. Best after 9th Aug.
15. Joel - Pissed Newt german lager - CC 31st May. Bottle primed 12th June. Ready 12th August

Drink in One Month Plus (August 10 or longer)

11. Bindi-The Dreaming AAA Less then one week in the bottle, wait 4 weeks min. ie 12 Aug.
13. Webby- Stout Bottled today it will be dated
14. monkale - Cherry popper AAA
7. bconnery - AWB - Bottled 14th May. Nice now. Should benefit from 6months+.

Still Requiring Details

10. Mark - Probably a Golden Ale.

First off the ranks Jye's "off season APA"

Pours beautifully, great colour, nice carbonation & laces till the end of the glass :)
Not overly aromatic but well balanced with plenty of hop flavour - On the bitter end of the scale which suits my palate perfectly, accentuated though by a slight cardboard after taste on the tongue. I'm not sure whether it's down to the dry hopping or a slight case of oxidisation happening, but i'm guessing the later, so enjoy this one asap...
A very nice drop Jye :beer:

Cheers Ross

Browndog's APA. IPA

Slightly hazy & lacking the thick creamy head of Jye's APA. Very little aroma for APA as well, but all is forgiven once you taste this - It is lovely, but tastes like an IPA.... Whoops - having tasted it, I've rechecked the bottle & it is an IPA :rolleyes: .

This beer is just what an IPA should be IMO - please post the recipe Tony, as this is one beer I'll definately be making. It's full of rich malt, bitter & delicously spicey, perfectly balanced IMO.

Tony has only been brewing AG for a short time, but the standard of his brews is top class, watch out if he gives the comps a go. I've tried approx 6 of his brews so far & not been able to fault any of them - Top work mate - awesome :super:

Cheers Ross

Ruination APA2

Pours a rich light ruby, is this truly an APA or an IPA?
The aroma is probably stronger than I can tell, tis the season of the blocked nose...

Now Stone's tag line is that this beer is all about the hop, and Ross hasn't let it down.
My wife didn't like it. That means it's hoppy.
I did.

Tasted great in the mouth with the malts giving a great background to the hop bitterness and flavour for me.
At times my thought was the hops came in such a way as to almost act like a malt.
That probably makes no sense but that's the way it seemed to me.

I suppose that means that despite them being so strong they have balanced in well with the malt.

Don't drink this beer on an empty stomach though.

All in all a great start to the tasting of the case!

Just a side line to this guys, I am tasting the sample bottles left in my fridge after the swap :) BONUS :p still have 4 more to try that are not in the swap,the two [of six] I tried last night were Screwtops JSV Tribute Porter and his Nut Brown , I know they are not in the swap but here goes. remember I am an artist not a beer judge <_<
The Porter was perfect for the mood I was in, walking the dog along the beach with a full moon with not another soul in sight 'bliss',the Porter was low in gas, strong in smoky choc smell and taste with a nice balance, like a good neck oil should be, the Nut Brown topped it off after a walk along the beach, like a cigar and port [others have, not me, give me a malty beer] after a good meal, again very nice and smooth, both BIG beers which I like.
I will be tasting Ross's Ruination APA2 and Jye's IPA tonight, can't wait but I have to .
Mashing today to make up for the swap night :)

For those who tasted the mild and the Christmas Beer (variously described as mulled wine beer, pudding beer and even dentist beer) the recipes are here:

Chrismoose Ale

Meekan Mild

Edit... Here is the AWB recipe...

Screwtop (I am pretty certain it was. The night does get a little hazy) I can send you the recipe in it's current format a little sooner if you'd like.

Tell me if you enjoy it as much after less beers...

Ross - Ruination APA2

Great ruby colour with a dense white head which died away slightly and left some nice lacing.

Aroma was a little disappointing, initially it was like whole hops and reminded me of the aroma produced by the randall, this changed after a few mouthfuls and all I got was honey comb <_< This is totally different to the floral aroma I got directly from the tap.

I dont know if its just me but it doesnt taste like 100+IBUs :( the malt really balanced it out and the high alcohol left little after taste, leaving me wanting another straight away.

Having drunk this on tap I was a little let down, but any hop heads out there are still going to love it.

Cheers
Jye :beer:

P.S. A mate said this reminded her of drinking IPAs in San Francisco.

Jye's Santa's Off Season Ale

Great aroma as soon as you open the bottle, Amarillo and Simcoe jump out at you,light head, great colour and malty and a hop balance I like, YUM.
Best APA I have had this year :D so far, I was going to compare it to Ross's but I pick-up Batz's Alt by mistake [or was it design] Great choices <_< :D

Ross' Ruination IPA tasted tonight:

All MHO

Colour: Ruby - dark amber arount 16 SRM (a guess)

Head: Med to dense cream head, died away slightly, slight lacing.

Aroma: Malt at first then hops. Complex, interesting.

Flavour: Well balanced malt sweetness and high bitterness, some honey comb residual sweetness

Body: Med to Full bodied.

Alc: 5+ at a guess.

Bitterness: High but well balanced against malt sweetness.

Comments: Great after dinner drink.

Cheers
Michael

PistolPatch - Austrlian Dark Ale (PP1) Australain Pale Ale (PP2).

PP1
Nice and Dark with a tannish head sitting nicely.
Nice roast edge to the malts.
Bitterness is there but not overpowering.
Mouthfeel seemed slightly lacking.
Lacked the body I would expect from a dark ale.
I didn't find it undercarbonated as was suggested. I thought the carbonation level was fine.
Very drinkable. Dark malt flavours carry it in areas where it may otherwise be lacking.

PP2
Good pale straw colour.
Not much head to speak of.
Seems to have a low level fruity aroma.
I'm finding this one a little undercarbonated myself but not to the point it makes the beer undrinkable by any means.
For me there is something missing. Maybe more hops, but as this isn't to everyones taste maybe a little more malt flavour required.
Still a very drinkable beer though. Would be a good hot day summer ale.

Ross' Ruination IPA tasted tonight:
Alc: 5+ at a guess.

Michael - It's a deceptive drop 8.9% Alc... :)

Deceptive alright. Was a bit talkative after drinking the 750ml. Rated it about 5 silly's, :D but 8.9 wow. Very complex Ross, my wine'o past, just loves seaching around in the complexities of aroma, body, bitterness and flavour, sometimes be ABV can mask these but not in the Ruination.

Batz Alt

I give up :( you win <_< , only joking.
What a great Alt.
I was going to write a long review but WTF.
A very fine and well made beer, you win the GOLD medal for Alt.
Where is the recipe? :rolleyes:

Batz Alt
What a great Alt.
I was going to write a long review but WTF.
A very fine and well made beer, you win the GOLD medal for Alt.
Where is the recipe? :rolleyes:

"DITTO"

Gave my bottle reluctantly to Alstart, as Batz's Alt was one of the missing brews when we remembered to make up his case in the morning. Drank plenty from the keg on Saturday night :party: though & Batz certainly makes a top Alt....

cheers ross

Incider's Munich Honey Lager.

I'm not a great lover of lagers, so my experience is a bit limited.

Nice pale golden colour, carbonation moderately high so holds a nice light fluffy head, slight chill haze.
No real hop aroma evident, dry light flavour (guessing this is the result of the honey, from what I've read), bitterness is quite low, so makes this very easy drinking.
Served it icy cold (left in freezer too long), but now as it warms up there's a residual sweetness & flavours coming through which are making this beer far more interesting - why do people drink beers so cold, they miss so much of what the beer offers.
A nice dry easy drinking lager which I'm really enjoying as it warms :chug: ...

cheers Ross

I'll join the chorus of cheers for Batz Alt.

I really enjoyed it on Saturday.

Zeus didn't seem to mind it either...

Back