Greetings, AHB members

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have finally tried to sit down and post something in the forum and to make myself known (in a fairly inconspicuous way).
My brewing story so far. I didn't even drink beer until around 10 years ago (spirits mostly), and after being paid in XXXX for work I did for someone, I thought I would never like beer at all. Then I discovered beer OTHER than XXXX. From there, I grew a liking for UK beers, Aussie pale ales, some of the US ales, and the odd German beer when I could find them. I enjoy many of the Coopers ales, particularly Vintage Ale and Celebration Ale. Fortunately, there are more to try, so looking forward to finding others I may like to brew in future.
For me, brewing offered the opportunity to have more of the styles of beer I find hard to obtain or too expensive to drink on any regular basis.
My first brew type experience came from a nearby Brew 4 U business, and I was happy with the results, even if I did little of the brewing myself. When the business closed, I started fermenting out fresh wort kits from Craftbrewer in Capalaba, Qld. This was a bit more hands on, and there were some great kits, but there is nothing like being in control of your own destiny. Time to move to brewing from malt to finished product.
I encountered the BIAB concept, and sounded like a great place to start, so the necessary equipment was paid off on layby, and some recipes grovelled to start off with. Initial results were fairly pleasing (Rogers Ale clone from memory). I have just completed batch 14 (a Marzen / Oktoberfest), which is fermenting in the thermostatically controlled bar fridge. Out of the 14 batches, 5 would be ones I'd be proud to offer a seasoned brewer, the others were more something a parent could love. Only one was pretty ordinary, but not ordinary enough to throw out.
Valuable lessons learned from others: cleanliness & temp control. Lesson learned at home: I found I would get some bottles with a slight "mushy peas" flavour to them. The gents from Craftbrewer sampled it and concluded that it was probably an infection, and better sanitizing was needed. Up to this point, I was using a spray bottle of sanitizer, but moved to pouring some into each vessel and swirling before draining, and I haven't had the issue since. Thanks Ross & Anthony.
Another tip that has been a marked improvement was to mix up the priming solution and add it to a second fermenter before emptying the first into it. No more unevenly carbonated bottles. I will move to kegging once I have finished paying down the layby, so won't really miss the time spent scrubbing bottles, and finding places to put them all.
I would like to explore what malts give what characters to beer. Recently I brewed a Wee Heavy, and would like to make again, but reduce the "prune" flavour in it a little, as it is the dominant flavour. Fermentables were MO, Carared, Crystal (light), Munich (light), and chocolate. MO was the bulk of the grains, and also boosted with Briess LME. I'm keen to learn more on malt selection, and would welcome advice and experiences from the membership. Thanks to all who have taken the time to read my wordy introduction.

You clearly have the bug mate. Kegging is a great next step!

Your style choices (and your own creative choices) are open to everything.

Good onya

Great Intro mate, Welcome!
Kegging is the way to go!

You are in a good spot there with excellent home brew suppliers in Toowoomba and Brisbane.
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
With regards to kegging, I have had it suggested that having a beer gun in a chest freezer (with separate temp controller) is a good way to go because you can put the gun back in the freezer after use and keep it free of insects and other nasties, meaning a longer period between cleaning.
I there is a wow factor about having a tap on the side of a fridge, but I appreciate form over function, and to me, the former idea sounds the better way to go.
Any thoughts?

I've been brewing for only a few more AG brews than yourself and had my keezer about the same amount of time. The taps are on Snaplock fittings so I just put them on Friday afternoon and take them off Sunday night, quick clean in the kitchen sink, done and dusted with minimal fuss. Haven't had any dramas to date.

Unless you want a beer gun as a bit of "bling", a perfectly good method is to just use bronco taps - I've got a couple myself for taking samples from kegs in storage / lagering. A very capable brewer friend used broncos for years but eventually got fed up with opening the unit every time he wanted to pour a beer and eventually went to Perlick taps, he now has a kegmate (as I do) - not too expensive in the scheme of things and on a par with a new chest freezer and taps in $$$.

(edit: and no need to buy a temp controller or build a collar, and you hear stories on the forum about keezers dying after a couple of years as they are doing stuff they aren't really designed for)

Bribie G said:
Unless you want a beer gun as a bit of "bling", a perfectly good method is to just use bronco taps - I've got a couple myself for taking samples from kegs in storage / lagering. A very capable brewer friend used broncos for years but eventually got fed up with opening the unit every time he wanted to pour a beer and eventually went to Perlick taps, he now has a kegmate (as I do) - not too expensive in the scheme of things and on a par with a new chest freezer and taps in $$$.

(edit: and no need to buy a temp controller or build a collar, and you hear stories on the forum about keezers dying after a couple of years as they are doing stuff they aren't really designed for)
Thanks Bribie G. I'm going to plead ignorance at this point, and ask what is a "keezer". I could guess, (presumably a freezer converted for kegs?), but might be way off the mark. To be honest, I have never considered a beer gun as a bling item, and have never used one. I just thought that not having a tap exposed to creepy crawlies means even less time cleaning if it can be avoided. Could you elaborate more on the short life of the keezer? I was going to keep an eye out for a 2nd hand freezer for my set up, unless good reasons not to.

The Flyingscrapyard said:
Thanks Bribie G. I'm going to plead ignorance at this point, and ask what is a "keezer". I could guess, (presumably a freezer converted for kegs?), but might be way off the mark. To be honest, I have never considered a beer gun as a bling item, and have never used one. I just thought that not having a tap exposed to creepy crawlies means even less time cleaning if it can be avoided. Could you elaborate more on the short life of the keezer? I was going to keep an eye out for a 2nd hand freezer for my set up, unless good reasons not to.
Correct, keezer is keg freezer.

Only had mine 12 months or so, can't comment on life, made from an old chest freezer, so it was the right price.

Just to add to BribieG's comments.

When I owned my previous keg system in another life (and location), it was only plastic picnic taps (with the curly hose the Craftbrewer sold at the time). The pour was excellent and even had the flexibility to pour to create more British beer style heads by restricting the flow. Worked a treat.

I'm slowly getting the bits together on another keg system and that will be what I used until I can afford a pre-made kegerator. Cost wise - it looks like costing me the same as a keezer.

Welcome. Where abouts on the Downs are you? We've got a pretty good brewing scene here in Toowoomba.

earle said:
Welcome. Where abouts on the Downs are you? We've got a pretty good brewing scene here in Toowoomba.
Out in Dalby, the land of sweeping plains and flies. I get most of my supplies in Toowoomba, unless I happen to be in Brisbane.

Latest posts

Back