Hub Xmas In July Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should be OK to go in the swap, but will def be late, so can I get a rain check from anyone who still wants one?

*Les hangs head in shame and self-disgust*

My Bock is the same - been in the fermenter only a week due to a lazy brewer and gravity is only halfway there due to lazy yeast !

At this stage I will be submitting empty bottles containing an IOU - which may be exchanged for actual beer in a few weeks.

*Dave also hangs head in shame and joins Les in the naughty corner*

Still have issues with the Weizenbock.

Just got it into the fermentor 2 days ago, and haven't checked it since.

Should be OK to go in the swap, but will def be late, so can I get a rain check from anyone who still wants one?

Will have to bring them to the next meeting, as I don't want to bottle prematurely and blow up some otherwise good beer and good crown seal bottle too.

*Les hangs head in shame and self-disgust*

My Bock is the same - been in the fermenter only a week due to a lazy brewer and gravity is only halfway there due to lazy yeast !

At this stage I will be submitting empty bottles containing an IOU - which may be exchanged for actual beer in a few weeks.

*Dave also hangs head in shame and joins Les in the naughty corner*

Errm... :unsure:

I may well have to make this corner a party... My 1.072 OG ended up being 1.077 due to MHB's braumeister being overly efficient... it's still only at 1.030 and I'd like it to make it to at least 1.020. I guess I'll see where it is by early Sunday morning, but I'd rather be a little embarassed with turning over something worthwhile a little late than handing out crap.

:( <-- another hanging head of shame

seems there will be a few iou's being handed out on sunday! and a few blokes in the naughty corner

should be good day i think everybody involved is looking forward to it

Sounds good,

The kids had fun with the Jumping castle after the brew day, so they may come along if the weather is god.

I'll also be bringing Gus' swap beer who can't make it.

Yeah I had planned on putting a Doppelbock in but I also made an APA at the same time as a backup if the bock takes too long which has turned out to be the case... its only halfway through fermentation at this stage but the APA should be nice drinking soon.

Wow!
I coulda actually given my beer enough time to finish and joined the naughty corner.
Just a warning to all you yeast farmers out there - DO NOT HARVEST THE 1028 FROM MY BEER!!!!!
It appears that I *may* have broken a few rules and pitched in some yeast that was a little old and/or sluggish, and it didnt really finish. It started at 1070, my force ferment test finished at 1014, but I bottled the main batch at 1016 (at 5g/L priming sugar).
As seriously as I have taken this case swap, I kinda got lazy and didnt get to it when I should have. I have NO idea if this beer tastes as good as my B+T version, and if it doesnt, I apologise. Next swap I will do better!
Sorry I cannot make the swap day on sunday, but I have other shit on that I really cannot abandon. Hope that ya's have fun.
T.

I also made a backup which was another APA, just a little different on the hops. It is ready to bottle now and if I had the time before Sunday to bottle, I could swap that. But the one made earlier should be just about ready for drinking, so I am going to stick with it. I have not sampled it at all but smelt and tasted good when bottled.

Trent,
If you swap beer is half as good as the B&T it will be very good drinking. Looking forward to that.

Fear_n_loath

Update

1. Schooey - Bitch Slap IIPA, OG 1.072 ( tongue.gif Les!) WLP051
2. Loftboy - 'Call me Amber' (American Amber Ale. OG 1.050, US-05)
3. Les the Weizguy - Weizenbock (by request), O.G. ~1.072 (just to out-do Schooey ) W3638 yeast
4. Shmick - Imperial Amber, OG 1.071, WY1028
5. Ken - English Pale Ale (Wyeast 1026 - British Cask Ale)
6. DaveL - Bock (Wyeast 2487 - Hella Bock)
7. Scott (goatherder) - Schwartzbier - Wyeast 2487 - 4.8% abv - ready to drink
8. Benniee - Munich Dunkel - OG 1.052 - 4.8% ABV - Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager - Bottled 27th June
9. Geoff (The Ol' Boozeroony) - 'Donny Dubbel and the Temporary Esters' 1.072 OG T58 7.6% pre-bottle. Best left for a few months.
10. Mark - Golden Barley Lager/Wine (Ok I'll play along 1.100 OG, Danish Lager 2042)
11. Clifftiger - Bock (Wyeast 2124 )
12. Rurik Belgium Blond. ABV 5.6% (I think lost my bit of paper with OG on it, So don't Drink and Drive) Bottled on 21/07/10 leave until 4/9/10.
13. Muggus - Raunchy Scottsman - Smoked Brown Ale - Bottled 11th June, 5.0%, gold cap "13/RS"
14. Danny Boy - tba
15. Keith, Anthony, Jess - Jaffa the Bock
16. HarryB - Raspberry Wit (Not really a winter beer i know. Will be bottled probably the day before at this rate so please leave it a while!)
17. Steve - APA, - (Wyeast -2112 Californian Lager)
18. Dick - Brown Porter - Wyeast 1882PC, Thames Valley II - Bottled 27-Jun, 4.8%
19. Conrad - Maple lager
20. Brocky - Dark Lager (wyeast 2487 hellabock)
21. Jordan - Belgian Pale Ale - Wyeast 3655 Belgian Schelde - OG 1.054, FG 1.010, 5.8%, bottled 30th June
22. Off'y - Dunkleweizen, Bottled 15/7/10
23. Gus - Sparkling Ale
24. David Jenkins - Old Ale
25. Trent - Head on Collision (Topaz SMASH) OG ~ 1.070 WY 1028 - Aerated with Olive Oil.
26. Peve - Black Sheep Riggwelter Clone (Wheeler) - OG 1.057 FG 1.011 Bottled 17/07/10
27. Max - Laste minute APA OG ~ 1.062 FG 1.010 Bottled 19/07/10 (leave at least 3 weeks)

I used a bit much pale choc grain so it turned into more of a brown porter than an English northern brown ale (I wouldn't mind some feedback about that). It was bottled a month ago so it's ready to drink now.

Cheers
Dick

Thanks for the kind words, fear_n_loath
The reality is that the beer will suffer from haze problems and also maybe a tiny little bit of hop matter still in there. I managed to get one extra stubby out of my bottling day, so I will try that tonight to make sure that it isnt horrible.
I had to bottle the beer straight from a dry-hopped primary, with no resting time, and no CC time. I like to CC all my beers, and if they have been dry hopped, it is very important (IMHO) to chill it down for a few days before you transfer, as it drops all the hops and shit out, and you can get more beer out with less haze. But that goes without saying, I guess.
At the end of the day, it smelt and tasted pretty good (if not a little sweeter than intended) at bottling, but I am not completely happy with it. I will post back tonight or tomorrow with my thoughts on my sample beer - mainly to ensure there is no risk of bottle bombs! - and I hope that everyone can look past the faults and get some enjoyment out of my offering.
And incase anyone is wondering, the B+T version was 1.056 down to 1.010 (around 6%), and this one went from 1.070 down to 1.016 (around 7.2%). Its bloody terrible when your new system surprises you by offering up more efficiency than you were expecting ;) . Well, actually, it is, but in this case it wasnt so bad.

3. Les the Weizguy - Weizenbock (by request), O.G. ~1.072 (just to out-do Schooey ) W3638 yeast
8. Benniee - Munich Dunkel - OG 1.052 - 4.8% ABV - Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager - Bottled 27th June
9. Geoff (The Ol' Boozeroony) - 'Donny Dubbel and the Temporary Esters' 1.072 OG T58 7.6% pre-bottle. Best left for a few months.
10. Mark - Golden Barley Lager/Wine (Ok I'll play along 1.100 OG, Danish Lager 2042)
12. Rurik Belgium Blond. ABV 5.6% (I think lost my bit of paper with OG on it, So don't Drink and Drive) Bottled on 21/07/10 leave until 4/9/10.
13. Muggus - Raunchy Scottsman - Smoked Brown Ale - Bottled 11th June, 5.0%, gold cap "13/RS"
14. Danny Boy - tba
15. Keith, Anthony, Jess - Jaffa the Bock
16. HarryB - Raspberry Wit (Not really a winter beer i know. Will be bottled probably the day before at this rate so please leave it a while!)
18. Dick - Brown Porter - Wyeast 1882PC, Thames Valley II - Bottled 27-Jun, 4.8%
19. Conrad - Maple lager
21. Jordan - Belgian Pale Ale - Wyeast 3655 Belgian Schelde - OG 1.054, FG 1.010, 5.8%, bottled 30th June
23. Gus - Sparkling Ale
25. Trent - Head on Collision (Topaz SMASH) OG ~ 1.070 WY 1028 - 45 IBU. Aerated with Olive Oil. DO NO HARVEST YEAST.
26. Peve - Black Sheep Riggwelter Clone (Wheeler) - OG 1.057 FG 1.011 Bottled 17/07/10
27. Max - Laste minute APA OG ~ 1.062 FG 1.010 Bottled 19/07/10 (leave at least 3 weeks)

OK
I just tried the spare stubby I have of my beer, and it is undercarbed and a bit sweet, but still drinkable. At least the sluggish yeast is still chewing its way through the priming sugar and may take a while to make bottle bombs. I hope.
Anyway, give it a few days or a week, and it should be golden to go.
T.

Well unfortunately my beer will not be ready for swapping tomorrow. It still has only made it down to 1.026 and whilst I could run the gauntlet and bottle it without priming sugar and hope for a miracle, I think we all know what the end result will be.... I don't want to be giving everyone exploding bottles of fault ridden beer, so I'll bring my entry to the next meeting and swap anyone who is still keen there. Still looking forward to catching up tomorrow; I'll be the unemployed bloke skulking in the corner hanging my head in shame...

Well unfortunately my beer will not be ready for swapping tomorrow. It still has only made it down to 1.026 and whilst I could run the gauntlet and bottle it without priming sugar and hope for a miracle, I think we all know what the end result will be.... I don't want to be giving everyone exploding bottles of fault ridden beer, so I'll bring my entry to the next meeting and swap anyone who is still keen there. Still looking forward to catching up tomorrow; I'll be the unemployed bloke skulking in the corner hanging my head in shame...
Bloody shame, I was looking forward to it.

On that note, what's gonna be the deal with folks who didn't get around to bottling their beers, but might be able to palm them off at a later date? Are you gonna bring a crate just for the sake of it...cause it does get confusing when you have missing beers in the swap.

I'm more than happy to give you all a bottle of my swap beer, but i'd be a bit disappointed rocking up with 28 beers and going home with any less.
Perhaps an IOU system? :icon_cheers:

I'm not sure, Mike...this is the first time I'll ever attend a swap without having a beer to swap. I wasn't going to worry about bringing crates because frankly I'd feel like I was sponging for not giving you something back. My intention wa to bring my two crates to the next meeting and anyone still interested in swapping me could do so there. I know it's a bit of a pain in the arse, but not sure how else to do it. Just wish it had of finished on time...

Hi,

I am happy to swap my beer to Tony, Les, Mark and who ever has not got the beer ready, and sqaure up at the next HUB meeting, no worries at all. If you say your going to bring a bottle next meeting that's cool. But then I just remembered I am probably going to be in Whyalla most of August - have to work something out.

I would rather get rid of all my beer, and then I don't have to worry about bringing my bottles to the next meeting. I also have Gus' beer and same goes.

So please be prepared to take my beer.

Steve

Thanks for the kind words, fear_n_loath
The reality is that the beer will suffer from haze problems and also maybe a tiny little bit of hop matter still in there. I managed to get one extra stubby out of my bottling day, so I will try that tonight to make sure that it isnt horrible.
I had to bottle the beer straight from a dry-hopped primary, with no resting time, and no CC time. I like to CC all my beers, and if they have been dry hopped, it is very important (IMHO) to chill it down for a few days before you transfer, as it drops all the hops and shit out, and you can get more beer out with less haze. But that goes without saying, I guess.
At the end of the day, it smelt and tasted pretty good (if not a little sweeter than intended) at bottling, but I am not completely happy with it. I will post back tonight or tomorrow with my thoughts on my sample beer - mainly to ensure there is no risk of bottle bombs! - and I hope that everyone can look past the faults and get some enjoyment out of my offering.
And incase anyone is wondering, the B+T version was 1.056 down to 1.010 (around 6%), and this one went from 1.070 down to 1.016 (around 7.2%). Its bloody terrible when your new system surprises you by offering up more efficiency than you were expecting ;) . Well, actually, it is, but in this case it wasnt so bad.

14. Danny Boy - tba
15. Keith, Anthony, Jess - Jaffa the Bock. a bock brewed with (Wyeast) witbier. Bottled 24.07.10, carbonation low. Drink now.
19. Conrad - Maple lager
23. Gus - Sparkling Ale
25. Trent - Head on Collision (Topaz SMASH) OG ~ 1.070 WY 1028 - 45 IBU. Aerated with Olive Oil. DO NO HARVEST YEAST.

Just a heads up - my beer no.11 was only bottled this morning after a month lagering - so suggest give it a good few weeks at reasonable temps to carb up

11. Clifftiger - Bock (Wyeast 2124 ) *** Bottled 25th July
14. Danny Boy - tba
15. Keith, Anthony, Jess - Jaffa the Bock. a bock brewed with (Wyeast) witbier. Bottled 24.07.10, carbonation low. Drink now.
19. Conrad - Maple lager
23. Gus - Sparkling Ale

Just a heads up...
Someone picked up a bottle of my brew, number 13, that was the dregs/sediment bottle, that I stupidly left in my case. It has a hand written label saying the same thing, and the bottle itself has obvious sediment.

Anyhow, if you ended up with this bottle i'm more than happy to swap it with a "good" one.
Otherwise, enjoy the liquid bread... ;)

Apart from that, twas good to meet some more brewers and try a couple of nice beers. Hopefully see you all next meeting!

Thanks everyone for coming yesterday despite the late venue change.
It's always good to catch up over a few good beers.

Special thanks also to Keith and Anthony at the Hunter Beer Co. / Potter's for hosting us and for the people who picked up the entries of those who couldn't make it.

I think some people went home before some late entries arrived so please bring whatever didn't get swapped to our next meeting (TBA) and it will get sorted.
There also seemed to be a lot of last minute mucking around for this swap with missing/late entries, last minute bottling and long recommended conditioning times.
We will be having swap for Xmas. You have been warned. If you need the extra time - get started now ;)

Please update the article page also.

:chug:

Back