Funky Beer Swap 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked my stocks and I've got 15 bottles left so I'm still in. Just need to get my beers to Q. I Also entered my contribution into vicbrew so I'll let u know where it placed (unless it did abismally! ) ;p

I've PM'd the unconfirmed people on the list (last week) and we'll hopefully know final numbers by the end of this week, at which time I'll PM everyone details about the mechanics of the actual swap.

Had a taste on the weekend of my berliner and it's managed to pick up some acidity which I'm happy about, giving the lacto a head start has really helped with that I think.

I've also bottled the lambicised supersaison, not much acidity but we'll see how it develops in the bottle.

BTW CM2, Maybe we'll see where you place before we let you off the reserves ;)

Cheers
Q

Cheers
Q
Smart arse. I picked up a 3rd with my Irish red and I thought my oud bruin was better, so hopefully it was in the top 10. Actually when I had a straight leffe bruin at Belgian beer cafe on the weekend it was bloody similar to that but with acidity. I'm thinking it could do with some more sourness though.

1) Quintrex - berlinner weiss or strong lambic - Ready (will need time in bottle)
2) Brenosbrews - Belgian Farmhouse IPA - Ready
3) barls - Munich barley wine with brett. - Ready
4) Gulpa - Old Ale with Brett - Bottled 21/09/10 - Ready
5) Pmolou- Lambic, 100% Brett L Porter, Funky Belgian Strong 8.5%, or maybe have another go at a 100% Brett C depending on how it turns out
6) Manticle - Ready and bottled - 26 orval bottles plus a couple of longnecks for me to try. Someone may get a longneck instead of two orval bottles.
7) Stuster
8) kook - Something funky, have a few options (probably another FRA or possibly a psuedo-gueuze
9) Kabooby - Options will be Old ale with Brett, selection of plain and fruit Lambic (if its ready) or my berliner dunklwiess
10) brendanos - Berliner Weisse - Ready
11) jonw
12) neonmeate - brett&pedio rye altbier - Ready
13) beers - brown saison with Brett C & the dregs - Ready
14) Citymorgue2 - Oud Bruin - Ready

Cracked one of mine for a taste tonight. Still needs a bit of carb but Im happy with it. Nice balance of Old Ale and brett. Previous attemts have seen the brett overtake the base beer and I been trying to tone it down a bit.

Looking forward to trying these beers come swap time.

cheers
Andrew.

1) Quintrex - berlinner weiss or strong lambic - Ready (will need time in bottle)
5) Pmolou- Lambic, 100% Brett L Porter, Funky Belgian Strong 8.5%, or maybe have another go at a 100% Brett C depending on how it turns out
6) Manticle - Ready and bottled - 26 orval bottles plus a couple of longnecks for me to try. Someone may get a longneck instead of two orval bottles.
7) -
8) kook - Something funky, have a few options (probably another FRA or possibly a psuedo-gueuze
9) Kabooby - Options will be Old ale with Brett, selection of plain and fruit Lambic (if its ready) or my berliner dunklwiess
11) jonw

Ok, I'm out. Tasted mine tonight and it's just not ready to go yet and won't be for some time I guess. Really a shame to not be in on this as there look to be a number of interesting ones there. :(

Next year. :icon_cheers:

Ok, I'm out. Tasted mine tonight and it's just not ready to go yet and won't be for some time I guess. Really a shame to not be in on this as there look to be a number of interesting ones there. :(

Next year. :icon_cheers:

Awwww, that's a shame. I really enjoyed your old ale last year. What were you planning on entering?

Awwww, that's a shame. I really enjoyed your old ale last year. What were you planning on entering?

A lambic. I was a bit optimistic hoping that a year and a bit would be enough. Next year should be ok and I should have some backups as well. Got some of the Trappist blend in the fridge so will be making a few batches with that soon.

A lambic. I was a bit optimistic hoping that a year and a bit would be enough. Next year should be ok and I should have some backups as well. Got some of the Trappist blend in the fridge so will be making a few batches with that soon.

I tasted my two year old pLambic that I made with commercial "debittered" hops, it is soo fricking bitter still. My one year old pLambic that I made with home debittered hops tastes much better, both have a bit of acidity to develop yet. I'm hoping that they'll be ready after this summer. Mind you they often acidify a bit after adding fruit or bottling.

Q

Cheers
Q
:( 16 / 23 entries. score of 87. not sure what they thought was wrong (havent got scoresheets back yet).

Still waiting for confirmations from Kook, jonw, pmolou. I'll wait till the end of the week and then send out final details.

Cheers,
Q

Just out of interest - how does it work getting the cases back again? Postage paid?

If you're still in ascot vale, I'm only a couple of suburbs away so no big drama for me - just curious.

Sorry if it's been mentioned already somewhere.

Had a few samples of mine - carbed and tasting funky. Very little sour but that suits me. Some nice complexity and for a first, I'm pretty happy. Hope everyone else is too. If not - bugga yas!

Just out of interest - how does it work getting the cases back again? Postage paid?

If you're still in ascot vale, I'm only a couple of suburbs away so no big drama for me - just curious.

Sorry if it's been mentioned already somewhere.

Had a few samples of mine - carbed and tasting funky. Very little sour but that suits me. Some nice complexity and for a first, I'm pretty happy. Hope everyone else is too. If not - bugga yas!

Last year we did courier (mainly), people organized their own quotes and i organized with the couriers for pickup times. From memory courier worked out reasonably well priced.

I'm hoping that we can swap some of the cases at ANHC so that some interstaters don't have to cough up for postage this time.

im organising a courier for most of the guys from sydney, might be able to pick up while im down there, well at least mine and maybe one or two more as ill still have the wife with me.

For those who are having to courier interstate I used this site to get a cheap courier.
I can't remember the overall cost but I remember justifying as being cheap for a case of top quality funky beers!

Bottled mine the other night with a sach yeast for bottle conditioning in case anyone was planing on using dregs. The Brett while subdued was definitely working. Dropped 15 points in the last 16 months.

Hope everyone enjoys

Kabooby :)

7) -
9) Kabooby - Old ale with Brett 10.5% ABV - Ready
11) jonw

Barls were you planning on sending all the NSW beers together?
I did this last year and it worked well. We were able to swap some beers locally and only send the beers that needed to go to other states. This saved on courier cost and unnecessary packing.

Maybe we can meet somewhere or have a NSW drop off point?

I am happy to do it here but I may be a bit far out of the way for everyone

Cheers
Kabooby :)

im happy to be the drop off point, shall we say by the end of next week if thats good for the sydney siders. ill send a pm to this that were interested.

havn't been on the forum for a while and just noticed this, looks awsome would love to join in the funky fun but my flemish red (6 months in the fermenter) still hasn't droped the layer of lacto, so not ready to bottle yet, should be ready by next year though...

just posted mine to you Q yesterday arve.

for those getting the swap mine is the one with the pink label...

best not to drink it immediately as it was only bottled a month ago and there's still a pellicle on top of the bottles - id say leave it till early 2011.

Back