Funky Beer Swap 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, I'm just sorting the beers now and with the last minute dropout there is enough for everyone to randomly get an extra beer.

Cheers,
Q

Love random beers

Good work Q

Kabooby :p

thanks quintrex!

on a side note has anybody got a brett C (or anomalus) beer in there this time? wouldn't mind chucking in some brett C dregs for my currently fermenting barley wine.

thanks quintrex!

on a side note has anybody got a brett C (or anomalus) beer in there this time? wouldn't mind chucking in some brett C dregs for my currently fermenting barley wine.

I've got some brett C vials I think, at worst I've got a brett C only beer, I'll make sure you get some.

wow that's service. thanks, ill make sure you get a bottle in a year or two when it's finished...

Mine was fermented with 1469 and a tube of Brett C was added to secondary. I did bottle with a fresh sach strain though to try and get them ready quicker.

Kabooby :)

Mine was fermented with 1469 and a tube of Brett C was added to secondary. I did bottle with a fresh sach strain though to try and get them ready quicker.

ooh nice combination of yeasts. looking forward to tasting it.

how many grav points did your brett C eat - did you have a high FG before you added it? did you get a pellicle? i've had some strong beers where the brett C (anomalus actually) never took off, and others where it ripped away. curious cause my current barley wine is going to be 12%ish.

ooh nice combination of yeasts. looking forward to tasting it.

how many grav points did your brett C eat - did you have a high FG before you added it? did you get a pellicle? i've had some strong beers where the brett C (anomalus actually) never took off, and others where it ripped away. curious cause my current barley wine is going to be 12%ish.

OG = 1078 and down to 1015 with 1469. Brett C took it down to 1000. Didn't get a pelicle. Beer was aged in a keg so there would not have been much if any o2. It was slow going at the start but the beer has been aged now since April 09 so its had some time to do its thing.

I also had a French oak cube in the keg for this time which I think has helped the flavour of the beer.

Really looking forward to it this year.

12% Barley wine with Brett C!!!!! Yes please :icon_drool2:

Ok everyone except the melbourne folks have been pm'd regarding organising couriers for their boxes of beer.

The melbourne peeps can sms me and organize a day/time for pickup.

Cheers,

Q

mm i should look into those oak cubes.
well my OG was 1113 so im expecting FG of 1025 or so before i add the brett - hope it doesn't eat down to 1000 from there or i will have a 15% beer!?? it will be interesting to see how it copes with the high alc levels.

OG = 1078 and down to 1015 with 1469. Brett C took it down to 1000. Didn't get a pelicle. Beer was aged in a keg so there would not have been much if any o2. It was slow going at the start but the beer has been aged now since April 09 so its had some time to do its thing.

I also had a French oak cube in the keg for this time which I think has helped the flavour of the beer.

Really looking forward to it this year.

got my box of funk today hooray. quintrex I'm assuming the black cap longneck is your berliner? and manticle what exactly was your beer again (no 6?) whose apa is that?

looks like some really cool beers, dunno where I would buy a Brett farmhouse ipa or a Munich barley wine with Brett.

thanks for the pipette of claussenii quintrex!

got my box of funk today hooray. quintrex I'm assuming the black cap longneck is your berliner? and manticle what exactly was your beer again (no 6?) whose apa is that?

looks like some really cool beers, dunno where I would buy a Brett farmhouse ipa or a Munich barley wine with Brett.

thanks for the pipette of claussenii quintrex!

Awesome, Yeah mine is the black cap one, my printer at home wouldn't work and I wasn't organised enough to print labels at work, pretty slack compared with the high quality labels you NSW guys have done.

Hope the claussenii fires up ok for you, it's a pretty good strain. I want to get my hands on same lambicus and try a brett only beer with that.

The other 3 boxes bound for NSW have been picked up today as well.

cheers Quentin, i look forward to a call from my mate the courier

and manticle what exactly was your beer again (no 6?)

Mine is no 6. Had no time to make fancy labels which I'd normally try and do for case swaps so Orval bottle with 6 on the cap.

Beer itself is essentially a dubbel, fermented with 3787 (I think) then secondaried with roselare. Whisky and oak chips added with some citrus zest (grapefruit and orange) and pomegranate and possibly some orval dregs, aged maybe 6-8 months. More zest (grapefruit and blood orange) soaked in port with raisins then added with a month or so out from bottling.

God knows if you'll pick all that up - I guess that's the liberty you can take with aged experimental beers as the flavours have time to integrate. Not sure if I could ever replicate the brew again but I was happy with carbed tastings and I have one bottle reserved for when you guys start giving feedback. Hope it meets with approval - very little sour, mainly funk but not vomit or faeces or feet.

Look forward to picking mine up on Wednesday.

I think I might be the first to have the honour of cracking the swap beers and if it's anything like last year jeez it looks like a mindblowingly delicious bunch of wild beers. I don't know why quintrex didn't drink em all himself.

this one is matho's apa?! whose is it? anyway doesn't taste remotely like any apa I've ever had unless it means Antwerp pale ale or Ardennes pale ale. a lovely malty amber beer with good body and head retention, dried peaches and figs, touch of 14 year old socks, vanilla, styrian hops?, bretty leather in aroma. great balance of malty wholesomeness and green hoppy bitterness, joined by dry dry dry finish of winey brett phenols. like a maltier version of Orval. delicious !!! and surely isn't 6% like it says on the label? edit : stupid iPhone trying to correct my spelling

NM, I suspect you'll need to look at the cap on that one, I noticed that bottle and I think it might be nr 4? it was marked on the cap anyway, if you've still got it.

I might even crack one tonight... :) I might make it one of brendanos' weiss, and I"ll see how mine is tracking, I suspect it'll need a bit of rousing and warmth to finish carbing. It seems to have reformed a pellicle in the bottle.

Q

so that would be gulpa's old ale?

Errr. Sorry about the confusion. I reuse my swap bottles and never think to remove labels. Anyway, glad you enjoyed it. Im quite happy with the result.

Just checked recipes, base beer 1 was Northdown bittering with Styrian flavour, base beer 2 was Northdown/Fuggles bittering only. Dry hopped with EKG. Its probably getting up around 8% with the Brett.

Cheers
Andrew.

Latest posts

Back