EOI: Victoria 2016 funky case swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ80

Reaction score
Seems like there is a growing interest in all things funky/sour beers - chatting with JB the other night and we thought it'd be a good idea to put the feelers out for a funky case swap.

Standard case swap methodology, except beers entered must be intentionally soured/funked (eg, sour mash, kettle soured, mixed fermentation, 100% brett, etc). Beers to be bottled in either PET or champagne bottles to manage concerns RE bottle bombs. Each entry to be 750ml.

Lots to be worked out, including a hosting venue for the swap itself and a swapping date (thinking October). If you're keen, copy and paste the below list and add your name.

1. AJ80

Problem is descent sour beers can take 9 months to 1 1/2 years to mature and be half way descent .. I would put it out there it is a better Idea to do a collaboration brew if someone can get their hands on a 225L barrel or something..
If not Im curious and would be in the picture for a swap.. but would ten to do a berliner or something for better quality..An all Brett can take up to 3-6months
1. AJ80
2. Grainer

I get your point - they don't have to be fully matured at swap time, just bottled. Previous funky swaps seem to have run well with this sort of lead time.

they were also run across the country with the beers being shipped to a location and then shipped back

Although I'm in nsw, I'd be keen if I had 12 months for aging

Reman said:
Although I'm in nsw, I'd be keen if I had 12 months for aging
do we have enough brewers in new to do one.

barls said:
Good question, is it worth putting it out there? Could hit up ISB too, there are a couple of funky Brewers on there.

I'm interested, just depends on how many participants we get as to if I have enough.

Eye candy below!

Edit: Bloody ipad didnt' post the candy.

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

Might be the push I need to take the plunge to do a sour - have been meaning to do one for a while. Was just re-reading a pm I sent Aj80 in Dec 2014 asking for tips on sours.

GrumpyPaul said:
Might be the push I need to take the plunge to do a sour - have been meaning to do one for a while. Was just re-reading a pm I sent Aj80 in Dec 2014 asking for tips on sours.
Haha, Paul I did the same & only just recently kicked off my voyage.

Good man AJ. I've just updated the list with EOI VIC chaps

1. AJ80
2. Grainer
3. Charst
4. GrumpyPaul
5. JB

barls said:
there were a LOT of brewers in the QLD that recently got barrels so Im guessing numbers will come out of the woodwork all over the place soon

Mardoo said:
What's a guess at the timeline on this?
Depends on the masses really, October was considered probably the earliest we could do something like this. No reason it couldn't be later if people needed.

Latest posts

Back