2011 Funky Beer Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update the list with identifying marks and drinking instructions (i.e. drink after Jan 2012 or ...)

1. raven19 - Blended Lambic Schwarzbier
2. Quintrex - Cranberry/rasberry flander red - Malt Shovel Stubbies with black cap - Drink Now or in the next few months
3. barls- sour cherry dark wheat
4. stuster - lambic
5. Manticle - Vanilla Bourbon bruiny bretty thingy
6. neonmeate - Bruxellensis Rye Ale 7%
7. Kabooby - Sour Saison
9. beers - Lambicish. Will need a month in the bottle to carb up.
10. jonw - Orval style again.
11. Josh - Spontaneously femented Framboise
13. Florian - Berliner Roggenweisse
14. brendanos

Update the list with identifying marks and drinking instructions (i.e. drink after Jan 2012 or ...)

2. Quintrex - Cranberry/rasberry flander red - Malt Shovel Stubbies with black cap - Drink Now or in the next few months
3. barls- sour cherry dark wheat aka dark kriek. plain bottle with little dog funky brew sticker on it.
4. stuster - lambic
7. Kabooby - Sour Saison
14. brendanos

3. barls- sour cherry dark wheat aka dark kriek. plain bottle with little dog funky brew sticker on it.
4. stuster - Unblended gueuze, 5.7%. 2009 so pretty much ready to drink.
7. Kabooby - Sour Saison
14. brendanos

11. on caps is mine, as per standard NSW swap protocol. No labels, but I can post the recipe.

7. Kabooby - Sour Saison
11. Josh - Spontaneously femented Framboise - Could be a bit young. Try one now and leave the other for 6+ months.
14. brendanos

ohhhh thats what the numbers mean...

barls, shows how much i know, was very tasty though.

6. neonmeate - Bruxellensis Rye Ale 7% - red BRA on cap. ok to drink now but still a bit hazy and the brett is active. hops will come through better when it clears, try one in feb one in june or whatever you like
7. Kabooby - Sour Saison
11. Josh - Spontaneously femented Framboise - Could be a bit young. Try one now and leave the other for 6+ months.
14. brendanos

4. stuster - lambic
5. Manticle - Vanilla Bourbon bruiny bretty thingy Leave till February, numbered bottles (number 5)
7. Kabooby - Sour Saison
14. brendanos

5. Manticle - Vanilla Bourbon bruiny bretty thingy Leave till February, numbered bottles (number 5)
6. neonmeate - Bruxellensis Rye Ale 7% - red BRA on cap. ok to drink now but still a bit hazy and the brett is active. hops will come through better when it clears, try one in feb one in june or whatever you like
7. Kabooby - Sour Saison
10. jonw - Orval style again. Coopers tallies with gold cap marked JW. DRINK NOW!!!
14. brendanos

I don't really trust my CPBF foo, so I'd recommend putting mine on the fridge when you get it, and drinking soon. Also, it's probably best fresh, as it has quite a large dry hop hit.

Cheers,

Jon

I had a request for the recipe, so here it is.

Recipe: Orval
Style: 16E-Belgian And French Ale-Belgian Speciality Ale

Recipe Overview

Wort Volume Before Boil: 44.00 l
Wort Volume After Boil: 40.00 l
Volume Transferred: 34.00 l
Water Added: 6.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 40.00 l
Final Batch Volume: 38.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.054 SG
Expected OG: 1.058 SG
Expected FG: 1.009 SG
Expected ABV: 6.5 %
Expected ABW: 5.1 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 38.9
Expected Color: 10.4 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 83.5 %
Mash Efficiency: 78.0 %
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 19 degC

Fermentables
Weyermann Pilsner 8.350 kg (78.4 %) In Mash/Steeped
Weyermann CaraMunich II 1.300 kg (12.2 %) In Mash/Steeped
Sugar - White Sugar/Sucrose 1.000 kg (9.4 %) End Of Boil

Hops
German Hallertauer Hersbrucker (3.7 % alpha) 150 g Loose Pellet Hops used 60 Min From End
Slovenian Styrian Goldings (4.8 % alpha) 77 g Loose Pellet Hops used 15 Min From End
Slovenian Styrian Goldings (5.0 % alpha) 75 g Loose Pellet Hops used At turn off
NZ Styrian Goldings (4.4 % alpha) 150 g Loose Whole Hops used Dry-Hopped

Other Ingredients
Koppafloc 1 g used In Boil

Yeast: White Labs WLP510-Bastogne Belgian Ale

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name:Single Step Infusion (67C) w/Mash Out
Step: Rest at 67 degC for 60 mins
Step: Raise by infusion to 77 degC for 0 mins
Step: Rest at 77 degC for 10 mins

Recipe Notes
Wyeast 3112 Brett added to secondary and matured for six months under the house.

Note that the dry hop is whole flowers, added to a hop bag in the keg for a couple of weeks before bottling. This is a two keg batch, so that's 75g dry hop per keg.

Cheers,

Jon

thanks jon,
interesting to see yours used the separate brett and bastogne - my wyeast trappist blend turned out quite differently in the swap beer. but mine is younger and still developing.

that's a lot of caramunich! it does make the beer really deliciously full bodied, more caramelly than orval i think, but that's a good thing. i will have to make this one.

4. stuster - lambic
7. Kabooby - Sour Saison
9. beers - Lambicish. Black capped bottles with no labels. Best left until late Jan before drinking.
14. brendanos

7. Kabooby - Sour Saison
9. beers - Lambicish. Black capped bottles with no labels. Best left until late Jan before drinking.
10. jonw - Orval style again. Coopers tallies with gold cap marked JW. Dodgey CPBF job, DRINK NOW!!!
14. brendanos - Mine are all labelled. "qL" the pseudo-gueuze is the only one that needs more time (at least a few months)

7. Kabooby - Sour Saison
10. jonw - Orval style again. Coopers tallies with gold cap marked JW. Dodgey CPBF job, DRINK NOW!!!
14. brendanos - Mine are all labelled. "qL" the pseudo-gueuze is the only one that needs more time (at least a few months)

Just an update. I tried a bottle of this before I went away and was disappointed as I got a glass full of sourish yeast. However I think it may have been one of the last bottled (tried to ensure that swap beers were earlier rather than later from the batch)

Trying one again now (love holidays) and this is my final recommendation (as I only have one bottle left). Check your bottle in the light. The beer should be clear and there should be minimal pellicle visible at the neck of the bottle. If this is the case, she should be ready to go. If it's cloudy and/or lots of pellicle, leave until they change. Don't expect a lot of head (or any). If you have two bottles, drink one early and try the other in a few months to compare. I'm happy with the funk and sour levels as they stand at the moment.

Courier delivered the beers yesterday. A very nice late xmas present for me!

I need to sample one of mine soon, so I can report on when to drink the lambic blended schwarz...

Thanks again Barls for 'hosting' this swap. Really looking forward to enjoying some of these in the coming months. :icon_cheers:

Updated list with my beer.

1. raven19 - Blended Lambic Schwarzbier - low carb as of 17.1.12 - best leave it a month or so (but its drinkable now)
7. Kabooby - Sour Saison

My Lambic Schwarz review here.

Mine has not carbed up massively at all yet. You could drink one now, but I would leave it a few months if possible.

Updated list with my beer.

1. raven19 - Blended Lambic Schwarzbier - low carb as of 17.1.12 - best leave it a month or so (but its drinkable now)
7. Kabooby - Sour Saison - Bottle from keg so ready to go. Number 7 on lid

i am so glad ive been part of this swap for the last three years, the beers you guys are all brewing crap all over anything i could buy. seriously there's some real art happening out there. case in point stuster's lambic i am currently drinking. i recommend it highly.

my BRA seems to have dropped clear now and is tasting pretty good balancewise between the brett the malt and the hops, feel free to have one.

i am so glad ive been part of this swap for the last three years, the beers you guys are all brewing crap all over anything i could buy. seriously there's some real art happening out there. case in point stuster's lambic i am currently drinking. i recommend it highly.

my BRA seems to have dropped clear now and is tasting pretty good balancewise between the brett the malt and the hops, feel free to have one.

what bottles ship well?

Damn right it is. I had one bottle last night. Beautifully clear with a nice bretty character, finishing nice & dry. Stella effort Sir.

I had brendanos' Berliner on the weekend. Awesome sourness with some nice Brett to back it up.

Where is the tasting thread?

Latest posts

Back