2011 Close-enough-to-get-to-adelaide Autumn Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonocarroll

uıɐbɐ ʞunɹp ɯ,ı
Reaction score
Due to overwhelming demand and thorough satisfaction from the Adelaide, Mildura & Whyalla Xmas Case Swap I have decided to kick-off the next one early, to give people plenty of time to brew their absolute favourite beers to swap with fellow brewers doing the same. Here we go again...

Do you live in or around Adelaide? As before, we are extending the invitation to anyone who can get to Adelaide with or without a swap beer on the night!
Do you like making beer?
You like meeting other brewers?

Maybe you'll be interested in the 2011 Close-Enough-To-Get-To-Adelaide Autumn Case Swap!
beer.gif

For those of you who are uninitiated (or haven't seen the various other case swap threads) the general idea is as follows:

- 25 people each brew up a case worth of beer (24 long necks, around the size of a 'single batch') - preferably something you're proud of. The previous standard was wonderful, but do your best, put some love into it, and everyone's happy.

- you bring your case of beers (plus any samplers you want to share around and consume on the night... or a keg several kegs, randalls, hand-pumps, bling, etc...) along to a BBQ at a venue yet to be decided (usually someone's ample backyard).

- the beers are distributed amongst the cases, such that everyone gets a mixed case containing one of each of the 24 other beers.

- a great night ensues.

- ???

- profit!

- over the following x days/weeks/hours you get to taste some of the best efforts of 24 of your fellow brewers, and (if you wish) provide tasting notes or feedback to them in a yet-to-be-created thread here on AHB, which may lead to praise, discussions, posting of the recipe, etc.

Historically, these are pretty great nights. You get to meet a lot of the local brewers, catch up with the ones you already know, taste some awesome beers and food, and if all goes well enough, catch some sleep on the couch/floor/dog's blanket.

This will be an AHB organised event. I am not the 'owner' of this event, just the instigator, and as such I will have no veto power in making decisions. All decisions regarding this event will be made publicly by those wishing to host/attend/participate via this thread. While all aspects are up for debate, I would personally like to encourage the following;

- that this event be open and inviting to all brewers (be they K&K/BIAB/AG/etc) with a sensible amount of "plus-one" guests,
- non-swappers are most welcome to come along and see how we do this. There will be plenty to taste apart from the actual swap.
- that people attempt to the best of their ability to submit a brew that they are proud of (i.e. no unfinished, untasted, or unpleasant-to-the-brewer-who-made-it beers),
- that if people are attending and drinking, that they arrange alternative arrangements to driving themselves (i.e. get dropped off/picked up, catch a taxi/bus, stay the night, drink less (
ohmy.gif
)),
- that this thread be kept more-or-less on topic (I will be requesting moderation if it gets way too far off-track).

It's early days so far, but I'd hate to see more people not be able to make it due to not seeing the thread, so let's get this one up to a full case of ready-to-drink beers! Early 2011 we can start up a sign-up article and sort out details, but for now let's make sure it's in the back of everyone's mind and give people time to brew beers that may take a little longer.

Cheers, everyone!

huzzah!
I regrettably had to miss the last one - so this time, I'm IN!

I'll follow the thread and have a brew ready if I can make it.

Is it time we had one north of Gepps Cross?
Or are there overwhelming numbers of brewers south of the city.
Nige

PS - This is a discussion topic only, not a suggestion that I am not willing to travel to one of these events.

My vote goes for North of the city this time - good to move it around a little. I've heard great things about swaps at your place DrSmurto, but it is a little out of the way.

I reckon we wait until we build up enough people intending to come before we discuss any finer points. Good to see some people already on board though. :beer:

Definitely want to get to this one... not happy about missing the last one at the last minute.

Keen. Nice work QB! I'm thinking i'll brew a southwark bitter clone. Mrs Hatchy will probably be keen to swap too (if girls are allowed).

Cool - count me in as a swapper.....this time a proper in-yo-face 10 min IPA

My vote goes for North of the city this time - good to move it around a little. I've heard great things about swaps at your place DrSmurto, but it is a little out of the way.

I reckon we wait until we build up enough people intending to come before we discuss any finer points. Good to see some people already on board though. :beer:

If we timed it right we could brew a celebratory wet hop harvest ale with the ridiculous amount of hops i am likely to have this season!

Wet hop 10 min IPA? By my calcs I would need 1.2kg of chinook per 20L batch. :eek:

If we timed it right we could brew a celebratory wet hop harvest ale with the ridiculous amount of hops i am likely to have this season!
I'm keen on a wet hop harvest brewday whether it coincides with the swap or not.

As for the swap, I'll probably be in again.

(if girls are allowed).
No reason they wouldn't. All the better if it encourages someone else to get a brew going.

Wet hop 10 min IPA? By my calcs I would need 1.2kg of chinook per 20L batch. :eek:
Well, ^that would be worth the drive. :icon_drool2: 30 or so people who smell like they fell into a vat of dry-hopped IIPA. I can deal with that.

When's (your) harvest season? I say 'your' since mine look like they will be late if at all, and yours are probably on their own non-flatlander schedule.

No signs of the burrs that precede the cones so at a guess, late March, early April.

Probably best to have a harvest brew day rather than trying to combine a swap and brewday.

I still need to get through almost a kg of the last crop first :huh:

Sweet I'll be there. Hey fury do you reckon you can smoke wet hops?
You know, I've heard these hop dealies are awesome if you boil them in sugary water... strange use for them, I know.

@DrSmurto - 1kg would be a mere addition to Phillip's planned brew, wouldn't it? Go on - hourglass IPA; 100g FWH then 15g each minute for an hour. Damn I want to make that beer.

Its worth a try!!! count me in!

bags not skulling the last pint in the morning again!

Latest posts

Back