2011 Funky Beer Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cracked one of mine today to check carb level etc as they're getting sent off very soon.

A pellicle seems to have appeared in the bottles and it poured very murky/sedimenty with very little fizz.

Flavour was nice but I would suggest people need to leave this for a bit of time. If the beer appears transparent rather than hazy in the bottle (it is a dark beer so it will need light behind it) and/or if the pellicle drops, then it is probably ready. I will check on my few surplus periodically and let everyone know when I think it is ready.

Confirming the courier picked my box up yesterday so it should be at Barl's before week's end.

I dropped mine off at Barls' on the weekend. Mine are coopers long necks with a gold cap marked JW. Refrigerate on arrival and drink at your earliest convenience! These were CPBFed, and unfortunately the carb is a little lower than I'd hoped - the 70g plug of flowers in the keg must have inhibited CO2 uptake.

Spent half the night bottling yesterday.
Ended up over carbing the keg on purpose for a few days, freezing the bottles and purging each one with co2 before filling from the bottom with a picknick tap and hose attached. Capped on foam. Opened a test bottle later in the night, and it was perfectly carbonated, so all good. Didn't add any additional yeast or dex, but some of the bottles will have some sediment, others will be perfectly clear. I'd recommend decanting of the sediment.

Didn't get around to do up labels, so mine will be the Pilsener Urquell stubbies with black cap. No number on them either, sorry.

Courier is organied and will be picking up in an hour or so.Wrapped the whole crate up in plastic, so should be fairly protected from direct sunlight, not that there is a lot of hops in there that could get skunked anyway.

IMG_20111114_090532.jpg
turned up today, pity they cant read instructions. i found them in the driveway when i got home.
not happy would of been better on the back step at least its in the shade.
so far i have josh, jonw, florian and mine. should get kabooby in the next couple of days at work.

turned up today, pity they cant read instructions. i found them in the driveway when i got home.
not happy would of been better on the back step at least its in the shade.
so far i have josh, jonw, florian and mine. should get kabooby in the next couple of days at work.

Was the crate still wrapped in plastic?

Received a voice mail from the courier, saying they had to unpack everything and wrap each bottle, as the bottles would have been broken otherwise.
Little do they know that these crates are designed to throw them around, there's no way you can break the bottles unless you drop the crate from 2m height or so.

Shame they can't read instructions on the label, thought I made it clear to leave it at the back. At least they were still there when you came home I guess.

Hope you haven't got too much hassle packing it back up again, mate, looks like there's at least one tallie in the mix which won't fit in the compartments.

Cheers,
Florian

if i was to say i havent even unwrapped it yet, been flat out with work getting home at 1am most nights.
ill have a look at it tomorrow hopefully. ill make it fit somehow with it still being safe mate trust me.
ive actaully got two tallies so far so we will see.

thats fine mate, didnt think i was going to get them all in one week.
after all the starts didnt align.
i now have ravens and kaboobys.
the ones ive opened the packing on so far look good. nice work guys.

Yay! Glad mine arrived safe mate.
PM me when ready to arrange the return courier - the crowd I used seem pretty good, I can pay for the package from my end and then will email you the docket to place on the return box.
Cheers!!!

Bump.

Any updates Barls?

Have all swappers got their beers to you yet?

im now up to 8 in total. just waiting on the last couple. sorry ive been away, this weekend so ill chase it up tomorrow.
if your one of the ones that havent contacted me, please do.
i know there are 3 coming from melbourne together that havent left yet.

cheers
barls

the cases i have are in green. those in yellow i know are coming together from melbourne. the rest are unconfirmed and unheard from. will pm them hopefully tomorrow.
1. raven19 - Blended Lambic Schwarzbier
2. Quintrex - Cranberry/rasberry flander red or Oud Bruin - Confirmed
3. barls- sour cherry dark wheat
4. stuster - lambic (might have to make some up with gueuze off the tap)
5. Manticle - Vanilla Bourbon bruiny bretty thingy
6. neonmeate - clauseniied JW lees harvest ale clone
7. Kabooby - Sour Saison. If that runs out I will make it up with some stuff!!!!
8. goatherder
9. beers
10. jonw - Orval style again.
11. Josh - Spontaneously femented Framboise
12. BrenosBrews - Probably something involving Brettanomyces. Maybe a Black Belgian IPA with some Brett Lambicus.
13. Florian - Berliner Roggenweisse
14. brendanos

All of my beers are ready to drink, but if you get the pseudo Gueuze (375ml bottle) I would recommend cellaring it for at least a few months (carb's still a bit low)

Cracked another tester. Pellicle seems to have dropped off in the main, carb is bigger (still not huge) and there is some clarity in the bottle. Carb seems to have knocked back the sour a touch (not too much - I'm more a funk guy than a sour guy anyway*). Don't expect any head and body is thin (surprise surprise considering there's no residual sugars in the thing).

I'm still happy with the flavour - I'll keep tabs and let you guys know when I think it's a good time to crack it but if you get 2 - pop one away for a few months and see what happens.

Strange thing this funky beer stuff.

* Not that you'd believe so from my scowl or clothes choice.

7. Kabooby - Sour Saison. If that runs out I will make it up with some stuff!!!!
8. goatherder
9. beers - Lambicish. Will need a month in the bottle to carb up.
12. BrenosBrews - Probably something involving Brettanomyces. Maybe a Black Belgian IPA with some Brett Lambicus.
14. brendanos

8. goatherder- pulled out, flat out at work no time to do one.
9. beers - Lambicish. Will need a month in the bottle to carb up.
14. brendanos
beers is dropping his off in a little while.
that only leaves BrenosBrews. does anyone on here know him. sent him a pm have not heard from him.

Good strike rate thus far!

I reckon pop him another PM in a day or so also, then make Wednesday the cut off for a response.

Then we can be sampling the beers by xmas.

hope fully have them ready to ship later this week.
ill send him another one in a couple of days then cull him so long as the rest of you are happy.

Sounds reasonable to me. Looking forward to having some of these over the holidays! :icon_drunk:

Latest posts

Back