2011 Funky Beer Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also - can't remember from last year but am I sending 13 sets or 14 sets? ie do I include my own swap or can I keep that to sample?

Cheers

Bottling really does suck doesn't it! <_<

All into bottles, just need to slap on some labels then courier to Barls.

Keggers are sooks. I'll take bottling over siphoning any day though.

Only 24 orval bottles and the local had run out so one of you will get rochefort 10 bottles instead.

No time for labels so plain, unlabelled bottles with my swap number on the lid.

Big sook here indeed when it comes to bottling mate! Gave the stubbies a good soak for 24 hours prior, then had the bottle brush on the cordless drill to ensure nice clean bottles.

You have time for labels surely, something cool with your awesome hand sketch insects or similar will be fine. B)

I'm swapping a mixed box of Flanders Brown 750ml, Berliner Weisse 750ml, Bretty Pale 750ml, pseudo Gueuze (blend of young sour mashed lambic, old lambic & biere de garde) 375ml + accompanying Biere de Garde 330ml (made with 25% Quinoa, raisins & saffron)

Big sook here indeed when it comes to bottling mate! Gave the stubbies a good soak for 24 hours prior, then had the bottle brush on the cordless drill to ensure nice clean bottles.

You have time for labels surely, something cool with your awesome hand sketch insects or similar will be fine. B)

Main issue is that my computer is on the blink with any relevant files and access to photoshop. Work laptop that I am using doesn't have photoshop and I'm not authorised to install it.

I may be able to re-jig my label from the melb july case swap with some clever manipulation of the photocopier but only to make you happy.

if any of the melbourne peoples want to share shipping, i could possibly get cheap shipping. last year i shipped 3 cases down for around 50 bucks each way.
all we need is a central point, we can sort the money side of things afterward.

Looks like Brendanos and Quintrex are within a short distance.

I've spoken to Barls and I'm happy to be central pickup if that works for you guys?

I'll pm my address to those interested later tonight, my inbox is pretty full.

Cheers,

Q

I may be able to re-jig my label from the melb july case swap with some clever manipulation of the photocopier but only to make you happy.

Just ribbing ya mate. Far more important is the contents of said bottle.

Just ribbing ya mate. Far more important is the contents of said bottle.

Speaking of which, I had my second bottle of your contribution from last year manticle. Apart from it gushing everywhere, it was quite delicious, the flavours have melded nicely and the brett character is more pronounced. Thanks again.

Ye olde gushy. I get that with every 2nd bottle of orval I buy too.

Hope it didn't make a mess anywhere in your house.

@raven - I know but I'm still going to see if I can do something. The challenge has been made, even if it's in only the back of my mind. This year's beer is more sour than the last (which was more funk than sour) but I like the level it's currently at. I'm hoping it doesn't increase too much with time. Bottled with a touch of orval yeast so we'll see if that adds any character (there was brett in the initial yeast too).

Got the courier sorted, still debating with myself if I should risk 'infecting' my lines and CPBF or if I should just somehow attach a bottler to the keg and fill the bottles with a touch of yeast and some sugar. I somehow doubt that counter pressure filling works effectively at high carb levels, I'm sure there will be lots of foaming and gushing while capping.

Might do a test fill straight from the keg first and if that works out just stick to it. Would at least safe me from detaching the CPBF and lines from the fridge for proper sanitising afterwards.
Hopefully all done and dusted by Sunday night, so should be at Barls' before the 15th.

Here is my label for my swap beer.

I just hope you like the contents!

lambic_schw1.jpg

put the keg in the fridge this morning so hopefully when i do a test pour tomorrow its good. was tasting damn good a couple of weeks ago. might have to enlist some help from the wife to cap and label them. now just to pick what label and what to call it.
ive already got next years one fermenting away. its my take on a flemish brown, half with hungarian oak the other with american. i was hoping it would be ready now.
i need to redo my brett barley wine as well.

at the last minute i have changed my swap beer as the barley wine needs another year at least. (it's only had one year so far).

you'll all be getting a "bruxellensis rye ale" (BRA for short) a sort of orval type thing, or a bretty saison/bpa i suppose, 7% abv, vienna and rye malt with lots of hersbrucker and saaz, wyeast trappist blend, still young, fresh, hoppy and malty, slightly bretty, but expecting it to get very bretty if you give it time. drink one now, one in 6 months.

Spent half the night bottling yesterday.
Ended up over carbing the keg on purpose for a few days, freezing the bottles and purging each one with co2 before filling from the bottom with a picknick tap and hose attached. Capped on foam. Opened a test bottle later in the night, and it was perfectly carbonated, so all good. Didn't add any additional yeast or dex, but some of the bottles will have some sediment, others will be perfectly clear. I'd recommend decanting of the sediment.

Didn't get around to do up labels, so mine will be the Pilsener Urquell stubbies with black cap. No number on them either, sorry.

Courier is organied and will be picking up in an hour or so.Wrapped the whole crate up in plastic, so should be fairly protected from direct sunlight, not that there is a lot of hops in there that could get skunked anyway.

IMG_20111114_090532.jpg

Dropped my bottles off this morning. Mr barls was there and gave me a hand with a box.

barls, there's a PET bottle of Black Bock with Chcolate for you too.

Cheers josh. I'll look forward to it.
Bottled mine on Sunday. Drank two pints of it while doing it so it's tasty

Latest posts

Back