2012 Funky Beer Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kabooby said:
Noticed in the tasting thread that Neonmate had posted about my beer. Don't think it was mine. Mine should all have number 8 on the lid. Should not be leaking either as very low carbonation like a true lambic.

Kabooby :)

PS. With the tasting thread is it possible to see all tasting notes for a beer or just the most recent?
aha i see from nick r's reply about the red italian caps that it must have been his. and the super nutty buckwheat was exactly what i tasted, i tasted it as 'toasty'. excellent beer nick! pity bout the capping!

kabooby i think i can spot yours there now

The principle idea of the tasting thread is to copy and paste the most recent version - so all tasting notes are maintained. I'm sorry that it has proven difficult to comprehend, and also saddened that it has offended some, but it is not a new concept and maintain that it is an efficient way to collate thoughts and easily compare tasting notes (and learn about our palates and the evolution of each beer) without having to flick back and forth between multiple sprawling pages of discussion.

If anyone has a problem with the notion of a "tasting thread", or wants to break free of the shackles of moderation prison, feel free to post whatever you like in this thread and if they resemble tasting notes I will make an effort to add them to the tasting thread.

I sincerely encourage and see great value in thorough discussion of each beer including questions, recipes, suggestions, banter etc - it's just not what the tasting thread is for.

"I drank a beer. This is what it tasted like."

I really hope someone can improve upon this with rules.

I'm not offended (alluded to above) - I just disagree that it's somehow easier to have 2 threads rather than one or that the suggested format is somehow easier to read. I think it looks messy.
Nonetheless, I said I'd give it a shot and when I pick up my beers from my brother and start tasting, I will.

Thanks for the positive feedback neonmeate :) I'm due to fill a keg with a 2nd generation blend in the next few months, if you're still in Dulwich Hill you should swing by for a few glasses (I'm in St Peters).

If anybody is interested, here's my blog post on malting the buckwheat. In hindsight, I over-"kilned" and ended up with more of a crystal malt, but the process and what to expect should remain the same.

http://nickrace.net/2012/02/malting-buckwheat/

I'll also post a photo of the caps I used when I get home - save any more confusion.

Ok I understand how it should work and agree that I would be better to look at one post and see the detailed description on the beer, followed by everyones tasting description of the beer. For this to work the previous tasting notes needs to be added to the current post.

Nick R said:
Thanks for the positive feedback neonmeate :) I'm due to fill a keg with a 2nd generation blend in the next few months, if you're still in Dulwich Hill you should swing by for a few glasses (I'm in St Peters).

If anybody is interested, here's my blog post on malting the buckwheat. In hindsight, I over-"kilned" and ended up with more of a crystal malt, but the process and what to expect should remain the same.

http://nickrace.net/2012/02/malting-buckwheat/

I'll also post a photo of the caps I used when I get home - save any more confusion.
thanks Nick I would love to take you up on your offer sometime, let me know when you've got some ready... where did you get russian river round these parts?

So I have my case now and looking forward to trying some of these fine sour beers :) Are we able to add previous tasting notes to the tasting thread?

Whose is the beer that is unlabelled and unnumbered in stubbies with a red cap that says birra santa mondo or somesuch?
I've got 4 of them and when I find out whose it is I will post my notes in the tasting thread.

In the meantime I have two things to say.

1. Label your bottle tops or bottles with an identifier. I'll buy you a texta if you need one.
2.**** me, it's nice.

Proper notes taken on unknown beer (presumed to be NickR buckwheat as I can't find that one in my stash)

Clear, very little head but what forms, remains. Gold

Aroma of hay, (very slight) chlorine, milk, apples, wood and leather. Fairly typical 'sour beer' smell.

Carb medium, mouthfeel slightly fuller than expected.

Flavour is initially sour and very, very dry. Tiny bit of berry like character, then a cereal flavour that lingers - reminds me of oatmeal but isn't.

Really balances the beer and brings something else to the party. Without it would be a well balanced, refreshing, dry sour beer but the extra element is delicious and brings out the berry character more.

Reminds me of a delicious mueseli with tart berries and yoghurt.

Who made this?

That one's mine Manticle - sorry about the labelling (or lack thereof!)

Lemme take a photo of the lids so people know what's what.

Nick R's beer is in bottles with this cap:

IMG_20130309_160743.jpg

Sorry for any confusion folks

just had quintrex's flanders pale ale a couple of days ago - didn't write down profound tasting notes at the time but was very nice - the berliner added an extra champagney edge, and was overall quite appley - quite like one of those stinky sour ciders from thorogoods. would have been nice if it kept a head a bit better, but still was tasty and sour and lively stuff.

Back