Funky Beer Swap 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quintrex

Reaction score
Announcing the 2nd AHB australia-wide funky/sour beer case swap

The first swap worked really well! see Funky Beer Swap 09 and now for the 2nd edition.

The 2010 swap has been timed so that the swap can be done at or around the 2nd aussie national homebrew conference (28-30 october), failing that, courier delivery seems reasonably priced for australia wide delivery.

Rules

The swap will occur at the end of october 2010 (beers Must have reached the swap point before or on the 29th of october to facilitate swapping at the 2nd ANHC)

Please only submit deliberately funked/soured beers that are of a pleasing nature!

The actual swap will occur via post/courier or by hand delivery at or prior to the ANHC

Please provide either 2 x 330ml or 1 x 750mL bottle/s per person

Your swap contribution may be made up of different beers i.e. 6 bottles of flanders red, 6 of lambic.

The swap will be capped at 12 initially (although I'm happy to expand this if everyone is happy to)

To be a part of this case swap please add your name and proposed brew to the following list.

1) Quintrex - berlinner weiss/strong lambic/ or oud bruin

Was hoping this would come up again, I'd love to take part if you'll have me!

2) Brenosbrews - Belgian Farmhouse IPA (Brettanomyces bruxellensis will be involved in conjuntion with either Belgian Ardennes or one of the Saison yeasts)

Was hoping this would come up again, I'd love to take part if you'll have me!

2) Brenosbrews - Belgian Farmhouse IPA (Brettanomyces bruxellensis will be involved in conjuntion with either Belgian Ardennes or one of the Saison yeasts)

Course we would. By farmhouse IPA do you mean kind of like the mikkeller mega hoppy, brett beers?

3) barls -something funky ill figure it out

ive been planning a raspberry lambic so we shall see.

Course we would. By farmhouse IPA do you mean kind of like the mikkeller mega hoppy, brett beers?

Bingo! You've had USAlive? If it gets close to that I'd be happy:)

PS. Your "infected" beers came highly reccommended by Fents at the last Ale Stars as next month we are doing sour/wild beers.

Ill have a go too.

4) Gulpa - TBA

4) Gulpa - TBA
5)Pmolou- Lambic, 100% Brett L Porter, Funky Belgian Strong 8.5%, or maybe have another go at a 100% Brett C depending on how it turns out

4) Gulpa - TBA
5)Pmolou- Lambic, 100% Brett L Porter, Funky Belgian Strong 8.5%, or maybe have another go at a 100% Brett C depending on how it turns out
6. Manticle - I'll put myself down for a tentative yes. Likely to be oud bruin with sour citrus but maybe sour citrus porter or oak and whisky lacto-stout. Results dependent obviously

I think I may have asked this last time but what's the consensus on the inclusion of something like a breton/normandy style cidre bouche?

I think I may have asked this last time but what's the consensus on the inclusion of something like a breton/normandy style cidre bouche?

Is that style tart/sour? haven't really had a traditional breton cidre before, although a love a good calvados.

I think it'd be ok, I doubt anyone would feel jibbed getting one. I see this swap as promoting the making and sharing of the more rare offerings that ahb's members make, so on that proviso I think it'd be cool. As always happy to go with the flow on this though.

Cheers
Q

Is that style tart/sour? haven't really had a traditional breton cidre before, although a love a good calvados.

I think it'd be ok, I doubt anyone would feel jibbed getting one. I see this swap as promoting the making and sharing of the more rare offerings that ahb's members make, so on that proviso I think it'd be cool. As always happy to go with the flow on this though.

Cheers
Q

I'm not likely to pop one in this swap but it's just something I'm interested in brewing at some point in the future.

Breton ciders are brewed using only the apples - that includes the yeast. They are fermented at reasonably low temperatures for a long time (and matured likewise). My experience of them is (limited to only a few so far) is like a combination of fresh and floury apples, rich cheese and the mustiness you smell when you visit a winery. Really complex, definitely not for everyone but I reckon they'd fit in. Fermentation relies partly on chance and wild yeasts (which depends on the selection of apples etc). There is a mild tart/sour nature to them (maybe more like a faro than a geuze or kriek?) Again my experience to all of these is quite new so there's probably loads of variation within the styles.

4) Gulpa - TBA
6. Manticle - I'll put myself down for a tentative yes. Likely to be oud bruin with sour citrus but maybe sour citrus porter or oak and whisky lacto-stout. Results dependent obviously
7. Maple - O(u)ake'd Bruin unless something better develops
[/quote]

4) Gulpa - TBA
5) Pmolou- Lambic, 100% Brett L Porter, Funky Belgian Strong 8.5%, or maybe have another go at a 100% Brett C depending on how it turns out
6) Manticle - I'll put myself down for a tentative yes. Likely to be oud bruin with sour citrus but maybe sour citrus porter or oak and whisky lacto-stout. Results dependent obviously
7) Maple - O(u)ake'd Bruin unless something better develops
8) kook - Something funky, have a few options (probably another FRA or possibly a psuedo-gueuze

4) Gulpa - TBA
5) Pmolou- Lambic, 100% Brett L Porter, Funky Belgian Strong 8.5%, or maybe have another go at a 100% Brett C depending on how it turns out
6) Manticle - I'll put myself down for a tentative yes. Likely to be oud bruin with sour citrus but maybe sour citrus porter or oak and whisky lacto-stout. Results dependent obviously
8) kook - Something funky, have a few options (probably another FRA or possibly a psuedo-gueuze

Oooh seems like a ripper line-up so far, hey kook, how do you make a pseudo-gueze (not blending?).
A gueze is on the cards for me soon. I've got one batch of 2 yr old lambic now, and while voota is away, he's given me 2 batches of lambic to look after/blend with.

Q

hey kook, how do you make a pseudo-gueze (not blending?).

Just a single year primed with sugar to a high level. Cantillon Lou Pepe Gueuze is done this way.

I will probably end up blending though, time will tell :)

4) Gulpa - TBA
9) Kabooby - Options will be Old ale with Brett, selection of plain and fruit Lambic (if its ready) or my berliner dunklwiess

4) Gulpa - TBA
9) Kabooby - Options will be Old ale with Brett, selection of plain and fruit Lambic (if its ready) or my berliner dunklwiess
:icon_drool2:

4) Gulpa - TBA
10) brendanos - Probably a berliner weiss (just bottled) so long as it doesn't end up dangerously carbonated (couldn't find my tirage caps when bottling so bottled in 500ml with crown seals)

Well having spent a good part of the last couple of days refreshing my mind about brewing with brett by reading just about everything on the internet I could find about it, I've found myself wondering "what would that taste like with brett" with every beer I've drank. So tonight I bought some Orval and tipped the dregs into my already fermenting APA:)

Also thinking I might do a hoppy rye ale and dose that with some brett too.

4) Gulpa - TBA
10) brendanos - Probably a berliner weiss (just bottled) so long as it doesn't end up dangerously carbonated (couldn't find my tirage caps when bottling so bottled in 500ml with crown seals)
11) bconnery - Probably do my Sour Orange Belgian Ale this year, maybe Brett it a little too but that would be a wild experiment, it works pretty well in it's current form(s)

phew got in.

4) Gulpa - TBA
11) bconnery - Probably do my Sour Orange Belgian Ale this year, maybe Brett it a little too but that would be a wild experiment, it works pretty well in it's current form(s)
12) neonmeate - brett&pedio rye altbier

Back