Funky Beer Swap 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phew got in.

1) Quintrex - berlinner weiss/strong lambic/ or oud bruin
2) Brenosbrews - Belgian Farmhouse IPA (Brettanomyces bruxellensis will be involved in conjuntion with either Belgian Ardennes or one of the Saison yeasts)
3) barls -something funky ill figure it out
4) Gulpa - TBA
5) Pmolou- Lambic, 100% Brett L Porter, Funky Belgian Strong 8.5%, or maybe have another go at a 100% Brett C depending on how it turns out
6) Manticle - I'll put myself down for a tentative yes. Likely to be oud bruin with sour citrus but maybe sour citrus porter or oak and whisky lacto-stout. Results dependent obviously
7) Maple - O(u)ake'd Bruin unless something better develops
8) kook - Something funky, have a few options (probably another FRA or possibly a psuedo-gueuze
9) Kabooby - Options will be Old ale with Brett, selection of plain and fruit Lambic (if its ready) or my berliner dunklwiess
10) brendanos - Probably a berliner weiss (just bottled) so long as it doesn't end up dangerously carbonated (couldn't find my tirage caps when bottling so bottled in 500ml with crown seals)
11) bconnery - Probably do my Sour Orange Belgian Ale this year, maybe Brett it a little too but that would be a wild experiment, it works pretty well in it's current form(s)
12) neonmeate - brett&pedio rye altbier

Nice, good to have some of the gents from last swap back in :-D

Feel free to keep adding as a reserve, as is the nature of these things we usually will end up with a person or two dropping out, however with the long time that these beers take to make, it's good to have a couple of backups.

Damn holidays and missing out on important things. ;)

2) Brenosbrews - Belgian Farmhouse IPA (Brettanomyces bruxellensis will be involved in conjuntion with either Belgian Ardennes or one of the Saison yeasts)
4) Gulpa - TBA
5) Pmolou- Lambic, 100% Brett L Porter, Funky Belgian Strong 8.5%, or maybe have another go at a 100% Brett C depending on how it turns out
6) Manticle - I'll put myself down for a tentative yes. Likely to be oud bruin with sour citrus but maybe sour citrus porter or oak and whisky lacto-stout. Results dependent obviously
8) kook - Something funky, have a few options (probably another FRA or possibly a psuedo-gueuze
9) Kabooby - Options will be Old ale with Brett, selection of plain and fruit Lambic (if its ready) or my berliner dunklwiess
10) brendanos - Probably a berliner weiss (just bottled) so long as it doesn't end up dangerously carbonated (couldn't find my tirage caps when bottling so bottled in 500ml with crown seals)
11) bconnery - Probably do my Sour Orange Belgian Ale this year, maybe Brett it a little too but that would be a wild experiment, it works pretty well in it's current form(s)

Reserves
1) Stuster

So devastated just found my cube of Belgian strong which was inoculated with brett C for the past year! had burst and started leaking all over the ground <_< now there's bretty moldy stuff all over where I store my beers and only 4 Litres of Beer left!!! bad day haha

lucky I have a few other sour beers going

So devastated just found my cube of Belgian strong which was inoculated with brett C for the past year! had burst and started leaking all over the ground <_< now there's bretty moldy stuff all over where I store my beers and only 4 Litres of Beer left!!! bad day haha

lucky I have a few other sour beers going

recently lost 20 litres of beer overnight due to a leaky tap. I guess if I multiply that by 12 months, I'll have a rough idea of how you feel.

Commiserations.

I'd be keen if you have a spare spot.

Cheers

4) Gulpa - TBA

Reserves
1) Stuster
2) jonw
3) beers

HTF did i miss this!!!!!

Dave you ******* you could have put my name down!

4) Gulpa - TBA

Reserves
1) Stuster
2) jonw
3) beers
4) Citymorgue2

i bottled a old ale thats been sitting on old ale blend and bourbon chips for 8 months so this is my back up beer if everything else falls through whats peoples thoughts on this.

Sounds good to me I've never tried a old ale with brett before

Hmmm Candied Quince flanders red is on the go, the neonmeate inspired lambic supersaison is tasting delicious and brewing something aimed at getting near mariage parfait in the next few weeks. Life in the wild world is good.

Q

Asides from the Berliner Weiss which is currently looking good, i've got two different BW's in fermenters atm, a hoppy, strong, funky belgian dark interpretation of White Rabbit (i call it Wild Rabbit) and plenty more in the pipes. Won't have any probs filling the swap - the hard part will be deciding which to share!!

ped_bret.jpg

Submit a mixture and people can request, or just get pot luck. :)

Sorry Gents, but my Bruin is bruised - initial tasting is way off, and therefore shall not be putting this forward. I don't think I'll be wild/funk brewing for a while, so with hopefully enough time and as fair goes, Stuster, you get a guernsey. Hope it's not too late in the piece for you. Apologies guys, would have been great to try your beers.

4) Gulpa - TBA
7) Stuster

Reserves
1) jonw
2) beers
3) Citymorgue2
4)

Sorry to hear you're dropping out, Maple, but I'm very happy to take that spot. :)

Hoping my lambic is near enough by then, but might have to get a back-up plan ready.

im brewing my one this week hopefully thursday.
im looking at a munich barley wine with the old ale blend. im also tossing up whether to put hungarian oak in it.

Sorry to hear you're dropping out, Maple, but I'm very happy to take that spot. :)

Hoping my lambic is near enough by then, but might have to get a back-up plan ready.

Just a note, if you're on the reserves list and have a beer ready for the swap, i'm sure we'll all do our best to make sure you don't miss out on participating.

Cheers

Q

How's everyone going with their funky swap beers?

I'm shortly going to bottle my lambic supersaison. I also have a candied quince flanders red which went a bit acidic with the addition of all the fruit acid, but I think it's mellowing, I'll bottle it and see how it turns out?

Cheers

Q

I've got three versions going - two of which seem to taste reasonably complex, one of which it's hard to say. Smells awful tastes OK but has none of the sour citrus I was hoping for.

Might need to add a touch more oak, vanilla and bourbon to the middle one and introduce more smoke to the youngest and pump up the citrus levels on the eldest

Being inexperienced with these kinds of beers I'm hoping that patience is the main key. I'll have some questions about carbing come August/September as I reckon they'll be much better with carbonation.

I'm not 100% sure what to call mine. Maybe Jim 1, 2 and 3?

dont know havent had a look or a taste in the last 2 months.

How long is recommended to carb these types of beers generally? Might be adding a touch of neutral yeast with a small amount of priming sugar and bottling into orval bottles. I'd like one or two to be carbed by the time I send so I know what I'm sending (or at least have some idea) as this is my first go and I don't want to send anyone muck. So far nothing I would describe as particularly sour but definitely funky with some complexity which is what I'm aiming for.

I'm very far from expert with this kind of thing though.

Latest posts

Back