Funky Beer Swap 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are accepting more than 12 how many 330mL bottles? I have been collecting orval bottles but only have enough for 24 at the moment.

I'll let Q answer the over and above the initial 12 question but I have a few Orval bottles I'll chuck your way if you need more bottles & want to keep them in the same. All in the name of playing with the funk. Please tell me you've been making use of the Orval dregs though?

Not every dreg but I've been keeping my sours going by adding wort to the yeast cake and dropping in the occasional orval dregs.

Offer appreciated.

If you're accepting more than 12 then I'm in. Mine is called 'brown saison with Brett C & the dregs of some crazy euro lambic that haldini bought around my house that time when we drank a lot of beers' & it should be bottled next week
:icon_cheers:
can all those that are in sydney/nsw and want to ship together please contact me via pm to so i can get a rough number and organise this.

ill bottle mine this weekend... should be interesting to see what's happened to it in the last 14 months...

it's a bit of an accident made good - i made a rye altbier, racked it to a fermenter where it picked up some residual bugs from last year's swap beer, and then let it sit for a year and a bit - it went through some pedio "sickness" for a few months last summer where it was beer-jelly - i added extra brett dregs from anything i had to hand, including many of last year's swap beers from all you guys, to try to stimulate the brett to break down the pedio slime - and last time i tried it it was liquid again, quite smooth and malty, and very sour but not in a burning kind of way... have blended it with about 3L of 2 years old kriek too for a "touch of fruit" a la quintrex.

i just hope it hasn't got "sick" for a 2nd time and gone to jelly again, i havent tasted it for a few months, will find out when i bottle the bugger tomorrow, if it's still slime i will save it for the 2011 swap

it's a bit of an accident made good - i made a rye altbier, racked it to a fermenter where it picked up some residual bugs from last year's swap beer, and then let it sit for a year and a bit - it went through some pedio "sickness" for a few months last summer where it was beer-jelly - i added extra brett dregs from anything i had to hand, including many of last year's swap beers from all you guys, to try to stimulate the brett to break down the pedio slime - and last time i tried it it was liquid again, quite smooth and malty, and very sour but not in a burning kind of way... have blended it with about 3L of 2 years old kriek too for a "touch of fruit" a la quintrex.

i just hope it hasn't got "sick" for a 2nd time and gone to jelly again, i havent tasted it for a few months, will find out when i bottle the bugger tomorrow, if it's still slime i will save it for the 2011 swap

Now Im going to be too scared to drink it :lol:

hey! all the slime has gone. it's very nice.... the touch of fruit works well with the rye and munich flavour. it comes out a bit like a flanders red but without the vinegar.
i think i will send it out to you all.

Good to hear NM, the list stands as follows below!

1) Quintrex - berlinner weiss or strong lambic - Ready (will need time in bottle)
2) Brenosbrews - Belgian Farmhouse IPA - Ready
3) barls - Munich barley wine with brett. - Ready
4) Gulpa - Old Ale with Brett - Bottled 21/09/10 - Ready
5) Pmolou- Lambic, 100% Brett L Porter, Funky Belgian Strong 8.5%, or maybe have another go at a 100% Brett C depending on how it turns out
6) Manticle - Ready-ish?
7) Stuster
8) kook - Something funky, have a few options (probably another FRA or possibly a psuedo-gueuze
9) Kabooby - Options will be Old ale with Brett, selection of plain and fruit Lambic (if its ready) or my berliner dunklwiess
10) brendanos - Probably a berliner weiss (just bottled) so long as it doesn't end up dangerously carbonated (couldn't find my tirage caps when bottling so bottled in 500ml with crown seals)
11) jonw
12) neonmeate - brett&pedio rye altbier - Ready
13) beers - brown saison with Brett C & the dregs - Ready
14) Citymorgue2 - Oud Bruin - Ready

Need to hear/get confirmation from Pmolou, Stuster, kook, Kabooby and jonw and we'll be right to go, awesome!!!

Q

given we are up to 14 participants, I will have to check my stocks to see if ive got that many bottles left. will confirm tonight,.

Guys what is the consensus on bottle types? Is PET ok? My empty bottle stock is low at the moment and buying a box of PET is looking like easiest option for me at the moment.

Guys what is the consensus on bottle types? Is PET ok? My empty bottle stock is low at the moment and buying a box of PET is looking like easiest option for me at the moment.

Where are you located, if you're in melbourne i'm happy to help with some bottles.

might be an idea to say whetehr or not the yeast in each bottle is or should be viable to reculture for use. obviously if they have been filtered (god why would you?) then it wont be, or if they are really old it may be dead. actually now that im typing this im thinking that most of these will be aged and the yeast probably isnt viable anymore. but worth a shot.

might be an idea to say whetehr or not the yeast in each bottle is or should be viable to reculture for use. obviously if they have been filtered (god why would you?) then it wont be, or if they are really old it may be dead. actually now that im typing this im thinking that most of these will be aged and the yeast probably isnt viable anymore. but worth a shot.

brett never dies!

ill have a look at my stash tomorrow and see if i can spare any beers

When is the cut off for the guys who were listed in the 1st 12 to respond so we know final numbers?

1) Quintrex - berlinner weiss or strong lambic - Ready (will need time in bottle)
5) Pmolou- Lambic, 100% Brett L Porter, Funky Belgian Strong 8.5%, or maybe have another go at a 100% Brett C depending on how it turns out
6) Manticle - Ready and bottled - 26 orval bottles plus a couple of longnecks for me to try. Someone may get a longneck instead of two orval bottles.
7) Stuster
8) kook - Something funky, have a few options (probably another FRA or possibly a psuedo-gueuze
9) Kabooby - Options will be Old ale with Brett, selection of plain and fruit Lambic (if its ready) or my berliner dunklwiess
10) brendanos - Probably a berliner weiss (just bottled) so long as it doesn't end up dangerously carbonated (couldn't find my tirage caps when bottling so bottled in 500ml with crown seals)
11) jonw

6) Manticle - Ready and bottled - 26 orval bottles plus a couple of longnecks for me to try. Someone may get a longneck instead of two orval bottles.
7) Stuster
9) Kabooby - Probably a selection of an Old ale with Brett and my Sour saison
11) jonw

I will bottle mine up this week with some fresh yeast.

Barls I am happy to send mine down together

Kabooby :)

Latest posts

Back