Funky Beer Swap 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1) Quintrex - berlinner weiss/strong lambic/ or oud bruin
2) Brenosbrews - Belgian Farmhouse IPA (Brettanomyces bruxellensis will be involved in conjuntion with either Belgian Ardennes or one of the Saison yeasts)
3) barls -something funky ill figure it out
4) Gulpa - Old ale with Brett
5) Pmolou- Lambic, 100% Brett L Porter, Funky Belgian Strong 8.5%, or maybe have another go at a 100% Brett C depending on how it turns out
6) Manticle - I'll put myself down for a tentative yes. Likely to be oud bruin with sour citrus but maybe sour citrus porter or oak and whisky lacto-stout. Results dependent obviously
7) Stuster
8) kook - Something funky, have a few options (probably another FRA or possibly a psuedo-gueuze
9) Kabooby - Options will be Old ale with Brett, selection of plain and fruit Lambic (if its ready) or my berliner dunklwiess
10) brendanos - Probably a berliner weiss (just bottled) so long as it doesn't end up dangerously carbonated (couldn't find my tirage caps when bottling so bottled in 500ml with crown seals)
11) bconnery - Probably do my Sour Orange Belgian Ale this year, maybe Brett it a little too but that would be a wild experiment, it works pretty well in it's current form(s)
12) neonmeate - brett&pedio rye altbier

Reserves
1) jonw
2) beers
3) Citymorgue2
4)

Just updating my entry. Old ale is looking good now with a nice level of brett character (hoping it stays about there cause its really at the sweet spot for my tastes). I will have to get on with bottling soon I guess as I want it to be delivered ready to drink.

Cheers
Andrew.

To my great regret I'm going to have to pull out of this one.
I've taken the liberty of putting the first reserve in my place on the list...

2) Brenosbrews - Belgian Farmhouse IPA (Brettanomyces bruxellensis will be involved in conjuntion with either Belgian Ardennes or one of the Saison yeasts)
3) barls -something funky ill figure it out
4) Gulpa - TBA
5) Pmolou- Lambic, 100% Brett L Porter, Funky Belgian Strong 8.5%, or maybe have another go at a 100% Brett C depending on how it turns out
6) Manticle - I'll put myself down for a tentative yes. Likely to be oud bruin with sour citrus but maybe sour citrus porter or oak and whisky lacto-stout. Results dependent obviously
7) Stuster
8) kook - Something funky, have a few options (probably another FRA or possibly a psuedo-gueuze
9) Kabooby - Options will be Old ale with Brett, selection of plain and fruit Lambic (if its ready) or my berliner dunklwiess
10) brendanos - Probably a berliner weiss (just bottled) so long as it doesn't end up dangerously carbonated (couldn't find my tirage caps when bottling so bottled in 500ml with crown seals)
11) jonw

Reserves
1) beers
2) Citymorgue2
3)
4)

Damn. A certain brewer on here led me to expect great things from your brews.

How long is recommended to carb these types of beers generally? Might be adding a touch of neutral yeast with a small amount of priming sugar and bottling into orval bottles. I'd like one or two to be carbed by the time I send so I know what I'm sending (or at least have some idea) as this is my first go and I don't want to send anyone muck. So far nothing I would describe as particularly sour but definitely funky with some complexity which is what I'm aiming for.

I'm very far from expert with this kind of thing though.

Bump

I would add a bit more yeast (depending on how long it's been funkifying). If it's not been too long, then it should carb by itself but there's still no harm in adding a bit of yeast if you have some handy.

Not all wild beers are sour of course. What did you make?

I have three:

Ended up turning a dubbel into a funked beer with sour citrus (basically grapefruits and blood oranges, zested, skin removed and quartered then soaked in single malt whisky with french oak) This was added to the secondary. More recently I soaked some more blood orange and some raisins in port and added those in (drained off the alc in both cases). Close to a year old (might be 10 months - need to check). Fermented with 3787 then added to secondary plastic with roselare, then racked onto fruit in glass. We might consider that the oud bruin with sour citrus idea with tweaks.

I made a vaguely smoked porter to which I added vanilla beans and more oak soaked in bourbon. This one will be a month behind the other one. From memory, fermented out then racked onto dregs of first roselare.

On the dregs of the yeast from the first I made another lightly hopped dark beer which was intended to be more smoked porter - very little smoke flavour has come through but it's had the dregs of several orval bottles added. The first two are in tapless glass carboys so very little sampling has been done. The third (and youngest) is still in plastic and gets sampled here and there (have no suitable glass vessel for racking). This one has a very distinctly orval-ish character. I had a bit of the recent sour citrus/raisin mixture which tased delicious and I didn't want to waste it. Since the smoke seemd to be absent, I added it in here so this one is a hybrid and might be used for blending with the first, flavour dependent.

My notes are really vague (read non existent) - I've just been carefully continuing the cycle of funked using different ideas and hoping that care and time and blending of flavours will bring something interesting and multi-dimensional.

Not sure if I'll submit a few of each or blend the end result (probably just the two citrus and leave the porter as is).

I'll probably add in a bit of neutral yeast with a small amount of priming sugar.

just finished bottling my munich barley wine so this is what im going to enter.

3) barls - Munich barley wine with brett.
4) Gulpa - TBA
7) Stuster
11) jonw

Ok, we're running out of time I need an indication of who can have their beers to me by the 29th October (My birthday coincidentally :D ).

This date is important because ideally I'd like to have the swap done at the conference so that people can hand-deliver and take back their swaps to save on courier costs.

1) Quintrex - berlinner weiss or strong lambic - Both ready (will need time in bottle)
2) Brenosbrews - Belgian Farmhouse IPA
3) barls - Munich barley wine with brett. - Ready?
4) Gulpa - TBA
7) Stuster
11) jonw
13) beers
14) Citymorgue2

Cheers
Q

Ok, we're running out of time I need an indication of who can have their beers to me by the 29th October (My birthday coincidentally :D ).

This date is important because ideally I'd like to have the swap done at the conference so that people can hand-deliver and take back their swaps to save on courier costs.

1) Quintrex - berlinner weiss or strong lambic - Both ready (will need time in bottle)
2) Brenosbrews - Belgian Farmhouse IPA
3) barls - Munich barley wine with brett. - Ready?
4) Gulpa - Old Ale with Brett - Bottled 21/09/10
7) Stuster
11) jonw
13) beers
14) Citymorgue2

Cheers
Q

Im in. Bottled on Tuesday night.

Is there going to be a Sydney coordination point so we dont have to send all bottles down?

cheers
Andrew.

I'm not sure if I'm in yet. I've got to check my lambic and see if it's ready (no back up plan :( ).

If I am in, sending them all together sounds like a very fine idea. Or maybe Peter and Barry would to take them with them to Melbourne. At least we know Peter won't drink them on the way.

Short of any natural or manmade disasters I'm still in on this one. Lower than expected final gravity after primary fermentation so the brett character is quite subtle. I'm going to leave it a bit longer before I bottle so will need a bit of time in the bottle.

Also ended up using American or American-style hops so I'm now just calling it Farmhouse IPA.

I'll bring my beers along on the Friday.

Fk I'm glad I saw this as I forgot. Yup mines ready. Old bruin.
Will pm u Q to get yr address and will send to u.

1) Quintrex - berlinner weiss or strong lambic - Ready (will need time in bottle)
2) Brenosbrews - Belgian Farmhouse IPA - Ready
3) barls - Munich barley wine with brett. - Ready
4) Gulpa - Old Ale with Brett - Bottled 21/09/10 - Ready
7) Stuster
11) jonw
13) beers
14) Citymorgue2 - Oud Bruin - Ready

1) Quintrex - berlinner weiss or strong lambic - Ready (will need time in bottle)
6) Manticle - Ready Sour[ish] citrus oud bruiny type thing - please enjoy/critique for what it is and not for its strict adherence to BJCP guidelines.
7) Stuster
11) jonw
13) beers

When I say ready I mean bottling this weekend. Samples taste good but I'm hoping for a little carbonation and hoping to taste that carbonation before sending. Regardless I will be sending.

"please enjoy/critique for what it is and not for its strict adherence to BJCP guidelines."

I think that's part of the point of this swap:)

Definitely what I'm hoping but I'm new to sour/funk brewing and so much seems left to chance. Just don't want to call it oud bruin and have someone not enjoy it because it's not really an oud bruin (which it isn't but it is brown and older than any of my other beers).

I also don't want to let any other brewers down by submitting something sub par. I think it tastes good and interesting but I'm far from expert.

If you're accepting more than 12 then I'm in. Mine is called 'brown saison with Brett C & the dregs of some crazy euro lambic that haldini bought around my house that time when we drank a lot of beers' & it should be bottled next week
:icon_cheers:
7) Stuster
11) jonw
13) beers

I'm not sure if I'm in yet. I've got to check my lambic and see if it's ready (no back up plan :( ).

If I am in, sending them all together sounds like a very fine idea. Or maybe Peter and Barry would to take them with them to Melbourne. At least we know Peter won't drink them on the way.
sounds like a plan stu, ill hit up a mate and see what it will cost me.

If you are accepting more than 12 how many 330mL bottles? I have been collecting orval bottles but only have enough for 24 at the moment.

I also don't want to let any other brewers down by submitting something sub par.

All things considered, Im not sure there is such a thing as sub-par in a swap like this. I think the worst it can be is "not to my taste" :icon_chickcheers:

Really looking forward to trying some of those beers.

Cheers
Andrew.

Latest posts

Back