Brewometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question - Why is it in the form of a google doc and how is the data getting there? Does your Brewometer app gather bluetooth data from the device then automatically sync to a google doc for you?

Does it only read in SG or can it be told to use oP?

I read their FAQs and it doesn't say.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
Does it only read in SG or can it be told to use oP?

I read their FAQs and it doesn't say.
Only SG but with some tweeking to the google sheet, it could do it I guess

I bought a new stainless steel fermenter and unfortunately I will have to remove my heat belt.
It looks like the heat belt is warming up the stainless and affecting the temperature log.

Exile said:
Only SG but with some tweeking to the google sheet, it could do it I guess
Yeah the conversion is easy enough, I just hoped they'd put it in as a standard feature.

Wow I'm reading on my mobile but noticed a sample at 72c, that's gotta be an error!?

Just dropped the cash on a Brewometer/Tilt. Now the wait of three weeks! The range for the Bluetooth is quoted as 25ft. I ferment in stainless steel inside a fridge. Does anyone have confirmation of the practical range? I hope to keep my IPad in the bedroom which is above the Garage containing the fermenting fridge.

Exile said:
I bought a new stainless steel fermenter and unfortunately I will have to remove my heat belt.
It looks like the heat belt is warming up the stainless and affecting the temperature log.
I am wary of uneven heating and inaccurate sensing with belt applied directly to the FV.
So I hang my heating belt from a hook inside the fermenting fridge. You could do the same inside a cupboard if you don't use a fridge. I use a temp. controller with the temp probe insulated and applied to the side of the FV. Seems to work OK but a thermowell would be better. Will be interesting to see how closely the temps recorded by the Brewometer correlate with the STC temp controller.

Michael Burton said:
Wow I'm reading on my mobile but noticed a sample at 72c, that's gotta be an error!?

Nope that was me when I was playing around with the Fahrenheit setting in the app.
Is it me or can I hear the cogs in your head turning? ;) hehehe

Chridech said:
I am wary of uneven heating and inaccurate sensing with belt applied directly to the FV.
So I hang my heating belt from a hook inside the fermenting fridge. You could do the same inside a cupboard if you don't use a fridge. I use a temp. controller with the temp probe insulated and applied to the side of the FV. Seems to work OK but a thermowell would be better. Will be interesting to see how closely the temps recorded by the Brewometer correlate with the STC temp controller.

I bought a new Mangrove Jack's Stainless Steel fermenter during the week and have installed a thermowell into the side of it. I have noticed that the temperature is a little higher in the fermenter compared to the temp reading on my temperature controller by a degree or two, but I have read that the brewometer will settle in the wort after a day or two so I will see how it goes.
I have removed my heating belt from my fridge and will work on it before next brew. :)

Just to give you an idea about costs. I ordered 2 today and it cost $A 372 delivered. The postage and handling from the US cost $US32.

Damn that hurts when you get stuff from china of greater weight for a couple of bucks. I suppose aus post is not any better.

Have my new brewometer floating on a Bo Pils at the moment. Temp Controller with probe in thermowell is set at 10C, 0.5C
hysteresis. Brewometer is consistently reading 7.8C. I'm fermenting under pressure (10psi). Do you think this could be screwing with the Tilt or do I need to calibrate it?

I don't know if 10 psi would affect the temp reading, my understanding is that these probes measure a voltage between two different metals to determine the temperature, so this should change with pressure.

It's probably more like both probes being +/- 1°C, and one says 10 and the other 8.

Chridech said:
So I hang my heating belt from a hook inside the fermenting fridge.
Don't do that...
A heat belt is a element that is designed to pass heat to another object via contact, not air
As such it has a higher watt density than an air heating/radiative element and can get hotspots, leading to overheating and melting
This is similar to dry firing a water heating element

Chridech said:
...So I hang my heating belt from a hook inside the fermenting fridge...
sp0rk said:
Don't do that...overheating and melting
Agreed. I once left my heater belt (from a reputable brand name) laying in my fridge and it partly melted the fridge. I'm very glad it never caused a fire. Lesson learned.

Michael Burton said:
Agreed. I once left my heater belt (from a reputable brand name) laying in my fridge and it partly melted the fridge. I'm very glad it never caused a fire. Lesson learned.
I hung my heating belt up after it did start to melt plastic when laid on the crisper tray in the fridge. Thanks for the warning. I'll think I'll look at a completely different way to provide heat.

Chridech said:
I hung my heating belt up after it did start to melt plastic when laid on the crisper tray in the fridge. Thanks for the warning. I'll think I'll look at a completely different way to provide heat.
$10 outdoor plug-in flood light kit with a 100w bulb from the hardware store. You might have issues with condensation, but I've seen people build little cases for them out of metal so that they act as a bit of a radiator.

I just set mine on the hump in the freezer, weight it down with a brick, and point the light bub down.

You don't even need a 100W bulb really. In a fridge/freezer a 40W bulb will provide enough heat to hit any temp you need for brewing!

Heat mat bunged in the back of your fermentation fridge. Works a treat. Bit more expensive than the other options but it works really well.

F7594814-01.jpg

These are designed for the job: Enclosure Heater.

Back