2016 Qld xmas in july case swap tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got into a 10 - Ciderman's gingerbread brown tonight

10-gingerbread.jpg
Beautiful looking beer. Absolutely flawless look and presentation with a great thick, creamy pillowy head. Colour is deep red to chocolate.

Smell is some coffee/chocolate in the background but definite ginger up front - sweet but not hot. Some bready smells in there too - sweet and dry. Spicy and vanilla but no clove - not that I was expecting any, just that you've narrowed down the ginger well. Very slight woodiness in the smell which is fine.

Tastes very creamy, nicely balanced. Great texture. The ginger is good in the aftertaste, but I think there is a bit of a phenolic touch on the back of the tongue in that initial swallow. Nice bread, chocolate, ginger and dark caramel flavours all the way through.

Overall an awesome beer - texture is phenomenal and you've narrowed down the ginger well and balanced it nicely. Nice one mate. :)

Liam_snorkel said:
I wish more of you would specify an ABV, trying to pick a couple to have before going to dinner with the wife's boss [emoji51]
So you can go for the two strongest, and try to minimise swaying?

5. Motabika - Lichtenhainer.Ready to drink

Man, what a great beer. Nice smoke and love the contrast between the smoke and the sourness.

Was there some other spiciness in there too?

Awesome.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469178914.325555.jpg

Man, what a great beer. Nice smoke and love the contrast between the smoke and the sourness.

Was there some other spiciness in there too?

Awesome.

View attachment 90087

23. rokaxe - "Hellfire" Chilli Saison: 4.9% ABV, 27.5 IBU, 8,000,000 scoville - READY TO DRINK.

**** rokaxe! Big basil nose, big chilli bite that threatens to exceed desire but doesn't.

Don't be afraid of this beer. Enjoy it. Best paired with sous vide spare ribs in chilli. Greens for colour only.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469179267.403567.jpg

Oohh, getting stuck into 7's Liam Black Bretty IPA. Awesome label by the way.

7-blackbrettIPA.jpg
Smells like citrus, particularly sweet lemon, orange and pine and some nice funk in the background. I've never been in a lemon sherbert mould-cellar but I'm sure it's what it would smell like.

Taste is absolutely awesome. Still very dark for a pale ale, but the chocolate and roast flavours don't fight the citrus hopping too much and the brett gives a great layer which is I think exactly what you want. Awesome layers of citrus, wood and brett. It's far from cloying but not super-thin dry, so a great body all up.

I'm really impressed - you've managed to turn a bloke who doesn't understand black IPA's to the dark side.

Parks said:
23. rokaxe - "Hellfire" Chilli Saison: 4.9% ABV, 27.5 IBU, 8,000,000 scoville - READY TO DRINK.

**** rokaxe! Big basil nose, big chilli bite that threatens to exceed desire but doesn't.

Don't be afraid of this beer. Enjoy it. Best paired with sous vide spare ribs in chilli. Greens for colour only.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469179267.403567.jpg
Thanks mate! I'm surprised you're getting so much basil but glad to hear it.

2. Earle - Smoked Rye Farmhouse Ale
Strong smoke aroma and then some funk. But my sense of smell is fucked so let's move on.

Gentle head which doesn't last long. Gentle carbonation but the mouth feel is quite carbonated. Weird. :)

I'm finding it hard to describe the "farmhouse" as the smoke is quite noticeable. That being said, I'm quite enjoying the smoke upfront and searching around for the subtle flavours.

A really intriguing beer.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469184851.601934.jpg

Let this one really warm up folks. The smoke starts to lesson off and I'm getting some interesting funk flavours.
More spice from the rye as it warms as well

16. Evoo4u Baltic Porter.

Decided Id play lucky dip and go with the first beer I grabbed, man I am glad it was This one. Exactly what I was savouring.

Pours black as night with a good 2cm head not it.

Moderate carbonation with a nice medium mouthfeel.

Aroma is like a good dark Christmas cake with dried fruit and rum.

Flavour is outstanding, exactly what a Baltic Porter should be. Dark fruit and caramel malts. With a good little bit of alcohol warmth.

This is a cracking beer. Congrats Evoo4u. The only thing wrong with it is I only have one. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469188581.586512.jpg

23 rockaxe hellfire
So Josh's swap beer "hellfire" is about as offensive as a warmly boozed rockaxe.
Bags of basil upon pouring but that quickly fades and mingles with the sweet peppers.
The taste is fairly firey and a lasting fruity burn. It's going to take me a while to get through this.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469194166.965398.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469194184.202992.jpg

14. Dan Barrington Chilli brown ale porter.

I always considered chilli beers to be a bit of a wank, but this stuff is an eye opener - really good and the chillies work well with the dark malts. What quantities and methods to infuse the chillis? I'll definitely try this with my next FES

What's with all these double posts? Forum software up the shit again. My two posts above are time stamped about an hour apart.. WTF?

I thought I would add an abv just for Liam so he can choose wisely in this candy store of goodies.

1. Winkle - W3031 Acerola Tarwe 7.5 abv drink now mofos.
2. Earle - Smoked Rye Farmhouse Ale - ready to drink now
3. Brewkid - Biere De Garde
4. madpierre06 - Black Rye IPA - Bottled 16.7.16 - I'd give it minimum 7th August.
6. lukiferj - Rye Hard with a Bitty Smoke (only bottled 14/7 so will need about 3 weeks to carb up)
7. Liam_snorkel - Black Brett IPA - aged 1 year - approx 7.1% ABV - READY NOW
8. Parks - Shiraz Barrel-aged RIS 9.4% ABV - READY NOW
9. Seehuusen - Resch Extra Stout - with brett - READY NOW (or age it)
10. Ciderman - Gingerbread Brown Ale 6.0% 35ibu. Bottled 21st May. Ready.
11. Fattox - cherrywood smoked foreign extra stout - READY NOW
12. Lord Raja Goomba I - AIPA (A) or American Standard Bitter 12B - both ready to drink.
13. NickB - AIPA - drink as fresh as ****... Like yesterday.
14. Dan Barrington - Chilli Brown Ale/ Porter (Drink now, poor carefully)
15. Radshoes - infected saison - bottled straight from the barrel last night so do not drink until the 30th of July at least.
16. evoo4u - probably a Baltic Porter (will be winter after all)
17. Natdene - BIPA bottled 8/7....drink from say 7th August
18. Bribie G - Midnight Train American Malt Liquor, y'all. Ready to drink, consult Doctor if pain persists.
19. Angus - "pick a windae" wee heavy - Ready to drink
20. Aydos -9.1% abv Sour imperial barrel aged stout and a keg hopped IPA (READY TO DRINK)
21. Robv - Dark Mild 3% , only bottled this week, give it 2 weeks
22. Benken25. Brewers breaky porter(smoked oatmeal porter with coffee and licorice 6.8%) Ready to drink
24. Adr0 - Wheat dopplebock - 8.3%. Drink anytime from now to the next month or two. No real rush. It's presenting exactly as I wanted in look and texture and it should present very different flavours as it gradually warms - hope everyone likes wheat..

4. madpierre06 - Black Rye IPA - Bottled 16.7.16 - I'd give it minimum 7th August.
6. lukiferj - Rye Hard with a Bitty Smoke (only bottled 14/7 so will need about 3 weeks to carb up)
9. Seehuusen - Resch Extra Stout - with brett
10. Ciderman - Gingerbread Brown Ale 6.0% 35ibu. Ready.
11. Fattox - cherrywood smoked foreign extra stout
12. Lord Raja Goomba I - AIPA (A) or American Standard Bitter ( B) - both bottled 03.07.2016 - ready 25.07 but if you're desparate, probably okay to have now, just undercarbonated
13. NickB - AIPA - drink as fresh as ****... Like yesterday.
15. Radshoes - infected saison - bottled straight from the barrel last night so do not drink until the 30th of July at least.
17. Natdene - Dark/Black Ale...5.4% bottled 8/7....drink from say 7th August,
18. Bribie G - Midnight Train American Malt Liquor, y'all.
20. Aydos - Sour imperial barrel aged stout and a keg hopped IPA (READY TO DRINK)
22. Benken25. Brewers breaky porter(smoked oatmeal porter with coffee and licorice 6.8%) Ready to drink
24. Adr0 - Wheat dopplebock - haven't tasted it but should be right to drink now, or in the next month sometime. 8.3%. It might need longer to develop some of the caramel/choc flavours but it's a bit of a balance with the younger wheat flavours. See how the feedback is and adjust accordingly

9. Seehuusen - Resch Extra Stout - with brett
10. Ciderman - Gingerbread Brown Ale 6.0% 35ibu. Ready.
11. Fattox - cherrywood smoked foreign extra stout
12. Lord Raja Goomba I - AIPA (A) or American Standard Bitter ( B) - both bottled 03.07.2016 - ready 25.07 but if you're desparate, probably okay to have now, just undercarbonated
13. NickB - AIPA - drink as fresh as ****... Like yesterday (approx 5.7% ABV)
17. Natdene - Dark/Black Ale...5.4% bottled 8/7....drink from say 7th August,
18. Bribie G - Midnight Train American Malt Liquor, y'all.
20. Aydos - Sour imperial barrel aged stout and a keg hopped IPA (READY TO DRINK)
24. Adr0 - Wheat dopplebock - haven't tasted it but should be right to drink now, or in the next month sometime. 8.3%. It might need longer to develop some of the caramel/choc flavours but it's a bit of a balance with the younger wheat flavours. See how the feedback is and adjust accordingly

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Why are we using old posts to copy/paste. I've adjusted my dates three time.

Now where's the rant thread
Revision control! Sorts the men from the boys.

Latest posts

Back