2016 Qld xmas in july case swap tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12a LRG AIPA

Had this last night. It's a little bit cloudy but its hardly the 'swamp crap' you described.

Quite enjoyable. Really liked the hop combination (whatever it was). I didn't really find it as hoppy as you described but that could be because i have a IIPA on tap at the moment.

Perhaps a touch sweet (what was you FG?) but otherwise a solid beer.

1468982938243.jpg

Thanks mate, it settled down a little. The cloudiness I've been unable to get rid of, owing to the problems I had with transfer, but it worked okay.

It's missing something for mine - a bit of backbone bitterness and I reckon the lack of Chinook I had (I brewed thinking I still had some and had to chuck in Simcoe as its replacement).

I like the aroma, to me the real hoppiness is the aroma. Otherwise, I'd agree with you - it's not that hoppy in taste, and it's not where I usually go with these things, but next time I dry hop, I'll go a bit smarter with transfer.

FG IIRC was about 1.010. I think I'll dispense with the protein rest as well.

Thanks for the review, I wish I'd provided a better beer, but after reading about another case swap, another year, I reckon it won't be the worst offender that has ever existed.

Had 13 nickbs apa. You do a solid apa mate nice hop flavours of citrus and mango and good malt backbone not overly bitter.

Binalong brewers Lichtenhainer. Hit the nail on the head mate great beer good smoke nice amd sour. I think i have found my smoked beer summer smasher

2. Earle Smoked Rye Farmhouse

Crystal clear. Sweetness of the rye, light to medium smoke, pepper spice. Balanced. Lacing till last sip.

Always look forward to your beers Earle. Another outstanding effort.

1469056017868.jpg

zorsoc_cosdog said:
Perfect day for brekky beers
Agreed, hey what was in the bottle of EBW?

Same English Barley Wine as the mini keg I brought along. Just decanted from my main keg.

13. NickB - AIPA - drink as fresh as ****... Like yesterday.

Pretty fresh, pretty delicious. Nice piny resin to balance the fairly chewy finish. It's much higher FG than I like personally but definitely not under-attenuated which somehow makes it ok and confuses me [emoji15]

First glass lasted about 60 seconds so I guess that's a solid B- out of 11.

Would drink again.

View attachment 90052

5. Motabika - Lichtenhainer

Poured into glass with barely a sud of head. At first i was thinking, no problem i'll just gas it up.

Once i had tasted it i thought it had enough bubbles to carry it through. I'm not sure if that was the brewers intention to be low carbed, but given it's an ancient style i dare say it would have been a cask ale anyway.

Slight aroma of smoke and a hint of funk mixed with lemon sherbet.

Here's where it gets interesting. The flavour profile is quite astounding. Preserved lemon intensity but with freshness. Clean lacto sourness much like a berliner but far more complex.

I can see this beer dividing the crowd, but as a wine drinker before a beer drinker it was right up my alley.

This beer actually made me dance a bit. Outstanding beer. Hope you're willing to share the recipe because this is a certainty to be brewed.

1469089806004.jpg

Ciderman said:
5. Motabika - Lichtenhainer

Poured into glass with barely a sud of head. At first i was thinking, no problem i'll just gas it up.

Once i had tasted it i thought it had enough bubbles to carry it through. I'm not sure if that was the brewers intention to be low carbed, but given it's an ancient style i dare say it would have been a cask ale anyway.

Slight aroma of smoke and a hint of funk mixed with lemon sherbet.

Here's where it gets interesting. The flavour profile is quite astounding. Preserved lemon intensity but with freshness. Clean lacto sourness much like a berliner but far more complex.

I can see this beer dividing the crowd, but as a wine drinker before a beer drinker it was right up my alley.

This beer actually made me dance a bit. Outstanding beer. Hope you're willing to share the recipe because this is a certainty to be brewed.
Thanks Man. Means a lot.

I did carb it on the low end as the beer that I did on the lacto cake before the Lichtenhainer, a dry hopped Gose was a gusher.

The recipe was as simple as my normal Berlinner recipe except I exchanged the Pilsner with Best Malz smoked malt

Recipe:

2.2kg Weyermann pale wheat
2.2kg Best Malz Smoked Malt

5g of aged hops at 60mins

Was pitched on a Gigayeast Fast lacto cake which I am reusing originally co pitched with us-05

Ph ended at around 3.2

13. NickB - AIPA

Pretty much what Troy said. Resinous, juicy. Plenty of caramel chewiness but finishes clean with lingering hop bitterness. Very nice US red, right up my alley.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469094830.176931.jpg

12A. Lord Raja Goomba I - AIPA

Well it lasted 1 day in the fridge 'cold conditioning'
A bit hazy but I was warned, should have given it a week in the fridge :p Nice citrusy hop character, pleasant drinking. What's the ABV?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469099799.484719.jpg

winkle said:
Agreed, hey what was in the bottle of EBW?
Well, I hesitated. I actually made some effort with that barley wine and I named it and wrote it up for when I shared it with my work colleagues.

None of them are beersmiths, but you all are so I'll post anyway

Nebulous Demise
This is a 4 month conditioned English Barley Wine. All English Thomas Fawcett & Son's malt, Strong English Ale yeast, Nottingham Yeast and White Labs Super High Gravity Yeast. This beer is thick, sweet and port esque. Chest warming and intense on a clean palate. Great to follow on with a whisky, brandy or port. Pour early and let it warm up in your glass a bit.
10.9% ABV

I think I left a couple at Winkles and the two swaps on the night. It's out of the 24 set, but - as convinced by earle et.al. - feedback is valuable.

Martin, thanks for being the first to review my beers. (the EBW). As always with this brewing journey, I'm looking forward to learning more.

Edit: I don't take records of my brews and have been focusing on equipment and process (the plant). Can't remember what the strong english ale yeast was.

Hey guys,
Hold off on drinking mine until I have my bottle from the swap tomorrow night.
Private feedback "might" indicate extended aging may radically improve the beer.
For the better (a more Belgiany Scottish ale).
:)

Or that I completely screwed up cleaning a single bottle. And everyone else can drink mine now.

Stay tuned.
Angus.

zorsoc_cosdog said:
Well, I hesitated. I actually made some effort with that barley wine and I named it and wrote it up for when I shared it with my work colleagues.

None of them are beersmiths, but you all are so I'll post anyway

Nebulous Demise
This is a 4 month conditioned English Barley Wine. All English Thomas Fawcett & Son's malt, Strong English Ale yeast, Nottingham Yeast and White Labs Super High Gravity Yeast. This beer is thick, sweet and port esque. Chest warming and intense on a clean pallet. Great to follow on with a whisky, brandy or port. Pour early and let it warm up in your glass a bit.
10.9% ABV

I think I left a couple at Winkles and the two swaps on the night. It's out of the 24 set, but - as convinced by earle et.al. - feedback is valuable.

Martin, thanks for being the first to review my beers. (the EBW). As always with this brewing journey, I'm looking forward to learning more.

Edit: I don't take records of my brews and have been focusing on equipment and process (the plant). Can't remember what the strong english ale yeast was.
Sweet, will carefully drink it next week in that case.

Latest posts

Back