2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
seehuusen said:
With regards to heat, what sort of temperature is killing them off?
We had the hottest spring weather on record last weekend, 41C. All I did was water them, and they don't seem to have been affected.
I suspect it was a combination of the high wind also. Stuck pretty much out in the open, mine cop the full battery of elements.
What Yob said about keeping the pots cool with some hessian, almost Coolgardie safe style would also be a good idea. If they're to hot to touch, I cant imagine the plants loving it much.
Probably should have don that this morning with temps predicted to top 40 today.

Camo6 said:
Ha! Spog, I had the exact same plan but SWMBO already hates the fact the bines block half the kitchen window in Summer.
Did they say whether to use dark or light cloth?
Light coloured cloth as it reflects the heat,darker colours absorb heat.

ok, great information guys!

My pots are against a small fence, but it provides shade almost the entire day, and then the bines come up above that... Best of both worlds it would seem :)
I'll keep watering and monitoring the temp in the pots.

Camo6 said:
Ha! Spog, I had the exact same plan but SWMBO already hates the fact the bines block half the kitchen window in Summer.
Did they say whether to use dark or light cloth?
Light coloured cloth as it reflects the heat,darker colours absorb heat.
Yob said:
I got the same as Cam last year with mu POR and Tett, what I plan to do is run 2 vertical bits of timber up the wall of the shed and then nail some lattice to it, effectively creating a barrier.. wil look half decent too.. I also rigged an out rigger at the top so the bines are away from the wall

like zis

attachicon.gif
POR.jpg
More brewers bling. Why not,call it a feature wall for your brewing hops and when the growing season is over call it garden art ! :)
Cheers...spog...

samwakeling said:
attachicon.gif
2014-11-17 15.28.43.jpg
Chinook (left) and tettnanger (right)
attachicon.gif
2014-11-17 15.28.59.jpg
Left is goldings, right is hersbrucker.

All first year plants, the trellis is a bit over 3m. Bets on whether I will get cones or not? Also does anyone know what has been eating this?
attachicon.gif
2014-11-17 15.29.25.jpg
I wouldn't advise to have the plants too close together, hop rhizomes are a vigorous running rhizome and before you know it they will be throwing up bines in each others territory and you won't know what flower is what.

First year Cascade going swimmingly in coffs harbour... first time growing hops too. What are the chances of flowers in the first year? I hear its pretty slim.

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

I got flowers in my first year.
Chinook, cumbus and cascade.
About 220g combined. Not heaps but not bad I thought.
Seeing as we are growing them for the hobby, not to support our hop consumption......that's why we have Yob !

CF

My first year cascade is about 3-3.5m high. It reached the top of my structure so tied some string from the top to a branch of the nearest tree. It has now reached the branch. Any issues with the bines climBing through the tree branches?

IsonAd said:
My first year cascade is about 3-3.5m high. It reached the top of my structure so tied some string from the top to a branch of the nearest tree. It has now reached the branch. Any issues with the bines climBing through the tree branches?
As long as they get light they'll be fine but i guess it might be a bit of a bitch to get to i guess though

Make sure there is plenty of slack, in high winds, the branch may swing about and snap the bine

I was just reading back over the thread and i think it might be worth noting for those that are new to hops (or gardening in general) , that the effect of spider mite infestation can look like a drying and yellowing of the leaves. It might pay for anyone who has plants with symptoms that initially look like water stress or nutrient deficiency to have a really close look at the underside (generally) of the leaves for some very small critters. A magnifying glass might be handy. Here is a link to a google image search that may be helpful - Images for spider mites on hops

I agree w Yob about pinning that Simplot list of hop ailments. That's a good reference.

This youtube vid discusses some hop problems. Unfortunately it doesn't really show the spider mites only some subtle damage as a result of a mild infestation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C137XVOQSKE

I think that it's also worth mentioning that even moderate overfertillising of almost any agricultural crop be it vegetables, hops or cereals and grains etc will make plants susceptible to pest and disease attack. Generous mulching, compost and and/or well rotted manures are the way to go. Occasional fish emulsion and seaweed style foliar feeds are great but they are often overdone IMO. Watering should be done in the morning so the foliage can dry out because wet plants are more likely to succumb to mildew diseases.

Some of the trellises pictured here are excellent BTW. My poor old plants have to struggle over whatever they can find. The EKG actually looks frustrated with shoots reaching out all over the place...

it's probably my inexperience, or perhaps from growing indoors, but those flowers Jacob Thomas posted up, look like male flowers??

seehuusen said:
it's probably my inexperience, or perhaps from growing indoors, but those flowers Jacob Thomas posted up, look like male flowers??
Due to this comment I rushed over to google for curiosity sake.

Hops can temporarily revert to producing MALE flowers if under stress, considering the plant above is being grown inside it is a possibility I guess, and will be absolutely interesting to hear about as the flower develops.

I also came across a little link explaining this.

http://www.greatlakeshops.com/hops-blog/hop-identification

Yes definitely male flowers, once again showing the same characteristics as the cannabis plant, under stress turning to male, what is interesting though, if a cannabis plant turns to male it is pulled out and destroyed, with a hop does the rhizome have to be destroyed or can it be nurtured back to a health and produce female flowers the following year?
I think Jacob Thomas should try this as an experiment and report back next year it is something worth knowing whether the rhizome will continue to throw up male bines in the future.

The article I linked indicates that you can have it revert back to female the following season, I would assume it would require a bit of TLC and a change in conditions (better soil, sunlight, water)

And a bigger pot, and it looks like that tub doesn't have drainage.
I tried it last year growing hydroponically in my greenhouse, got off to a good start but the root system was all over the place like a mad woman's shit, went out of the pot is was planted in and into the pot next to it, clogged up the automatic feed valve, ended up having to take them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back