2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
620rossco said:
Hi Mick,
I'm in Coffs as well and first year at this. Mine are at various stages, Tallanger has a dozen flowers ATM.

Rossco
I didn't get any flowers (or growth beyond 6 foot) last year, but my Hallertauer is going crazy this year, flowers are just appearing

Mine were just starting to get into a rhythm & growing quickly at about 2.5m, and were belted by hail yesterday. All tips of the bines snapped off. Should bounce back though.

What do you do with the lateral branches? Do you just let them do their own thing or do you train them up twine?

sp0rk said:
I didn't get any flowers (or growth beyond 6 foot) last year, but my Hallertauer is going crazy this year, flowers are just appearing
My cascade are just about hitting the 6ft mark now but dont look like slowing down, hope to get something out of them but not holding my breath.

Had a look yesterday afternoon and there are some flowers popping up right at the top of the bines
Guess I'm going to have to find a ladder tall enough to pick them, I didn't count on the bines wrapping around the top of the frame :/

ive been out of town without the wife and kids for 3 days, cant wait to see how much my Hops have grown.

Some of my flowers are getting pretty good sized, a bit bigger than a 20c piece I guess. On the same bine others haven't gotten to that size.
At what stage do you decide to pick the flowers? Do you pick in stages?

I'll take a photo tomorrow to show the size properly

seehuusen said:
Some of my flowers are getting pretty good sized, a bit bigger than a 20c piece I guess. On the same bine others haven't gotten to that size.
At what stage do you decide to pick the flowers? Do you pick in stages?

I'll take a photo tomorrow to show the size properly
You would normally go by the colour as being the best indicator of when the cones are ready for picking. A tinged sort of appearance with a drying look to them and a little browning, not to be confused with wind damage. Delay picking for as long as possible until you get to a point where panic sets in because you freak out that the whole lot is about to start turning brown is probably the best way to describe to a newby hop grower what to look for.

yeah this one pretty close, most of the others are still a bit immature.

Hi Spork,
The varieties I bought from the ebay seller in Vic have been over 3m for at least 2 weeks, guess they really know about propagation and transport. Ones I bought from Dave here will probably need another year. Interestingly Dave's rhizomes were much bigger and I thought more developed at the time. Rossco.

Yeah, I think my other problem last year may have been I used fresh soil from Coffs Landscaping, it was still breaking down and was pretty hot all the time (possibly affecting the plant?)
I gave it a bit of feeding over winter and this seems to have really paid off
Just dreading next year when we'll probably have to move and I'll have to dig it up :(

Some varieties grow better than others. Nothing to do with the fact they were bought on ebay.

This is what first year chinooks look like in Canberra.

Rhizome #1 only ever had one bine, and it's powered up to 2.5 metres. Not sure whether I should string some lateral twine, or just let the hops use the cubby house 'as is'.

20141202_074737.jpg

Rhizome #2 had two bines early one, but one perished due to slugs! Close to 1.8 metres now.

20141202_074700.jpg

Just this morning however I noticed Rhizome #2 putting up bine #3 and bine #4! (bine #3 shown below).

20141202_074718.jpg

I'm happy.

Is it normal for the tips to be randomly falling off my bines.3 have now fallen off when I do 1 off my many many daily inspections

dave81 said:
Is it normal for the tips to be randomly falling off my bines.3 have now fallen off when I do 1 off my many many daily inspections
Interesting, I had one drop off my cascade the other day, i blamed it on the bush turkeys but perhaps it may be the same situation as you.

Drew said:
This is what first year chinooks look like in Canberra.
Hey drew do you have any cones forming yet. My first-year cascade looks like it's just starting. Wasn't sure it was going to happen with some of the cold nights we had

20141202_132024 (1024x576).jpg

I think I'll be picking my cascade before Christmas at this rate. Can't believe how quickly it grew compared to the chinook and goldings. Doesn't look to be a bumper yield though.
Anyone ever get a second harvest from theirs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back