2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
So starting a little early this year.. mostly because it's time NOW to prepare your holes or soil if potting..

I dug up my cascade today to raise it up and improve drainage, the improvement I did consisted of the following.

1 part soil from the existing hole
1 part compost material
1 part soil from the chicken coup

I got a bit tired of knocking the bricks loose so got a bag or mortar and busted out the old trowel

so by the time winter passes and spring hits, all that good nutrient will be broken down and available for the plant. I'll mulch it with a bit more compost soil after the soil has settled a bit.

Also note the irrigation.. Ive had enough of manual watering.. this year is gunna be painless.

Hi All,
I've managed to get some Cascade rhizomes. They are from 4 year old plants that were completely dug out due to the owners moving and putting there place up for rent. The original rhizomes were from a grower who is supplying Black Duck at Port Macquarie.
I've only previously purchased rhizomes that were 10-20cm in length so am not totally sure what to do with these monsters. My plan is to cut them into sections of 10-20cm where buds are present.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

IMG_2254.JPG

To grow or sell?

If selling, perhaps put in the buy and sell thread?

30cm with a few sets of nodes is a good start.

I'm still cutting back last years growth which I let go wild as they were rhizomes. A good feed and a heavy mulch for winter is on order.

Yob said:
To grow or sell?

If selling, perhaps put in the buy and sell thread?

30cm with a few sets of nodes is a good start.
To grow.

If I have any left over I would be keen to swap but will post them in the for sale thread.

There are a lot there.. Big things I guess, hope you have plenty of room.

It's time now to do your mounds and soil work, add trellis and lines, you're also gunna need to keep those zomes moist and cold...

Looks like there may be a fair bit of root material in there. The difference is rhizome has nodes whereas the roots don't. You want the rhizomes. Also, some species have these tuber kind of things for nutrient storage. I don't recall Cascade being one of them. You don't need the tubers or the roots. Follow Yob's advice about 30cm with a few nodes.

CheekyPanda said:
To grow.

If I have any left over I would be keen to swap but will post them in the for sale thread.
I'd gladly take some off your hands :D

CheekyPanda said:
To grow.

If you do have any to spare Panda just one zome would be great.

So there were nodes poking out of the soil on my plants from last season, which I have now covered with a layer of chicken manure pellets and more soil.

Was that the right thing to do? Or should I leave the nodes exposed?

I'd have done mulch then compost then mulch in thin layers but yep, should be right, the nodes will push through when the time is right... Resist the urge to dig looking for them when it comes time.

Sneaky annual leave Friday has given me a chance to get stuck into the hop yard. The existing varieties (Mt Hood, Cascade, Chinook and Goldings) all got some fresh soil, a good whack of cow manure and topped off with pea straw mulch. These are coming into their second season and I was pleasantly surprised to see just how much they've grown! A lot of nodes ready to go come spring.

Dug in two new varieties as well - Victoria as well as some wild rhizomes I collected down in the Otways at the end of Autumn (Canterbury Goldings if the Internet can be believed).

Having learned my lesson from last season, all varieties have already been bird protected to stop the damn black birds from making a mess of them again.

So I bought about a dozen cascade rhizomes which are currently keeping moist in the crisper section of my fridge.

I've got access to a bit of land with plenty of room to plant them on (in Sydney, with full sun).

Sounds like I should be preparing the soil now? I might do that on Monday. Any tips? (for starters, if I go to Bunnings, what soil & nutrients should I buy and roughly how much will I need for the number of rhizomes I have).

And what about protection from wildlife?

kaiserben said:
So I bought about a dozen cascade rhizomes which are currently keeping moist in the crisper section of my fridge.

I've got access to a bit of land with plenty of room to plant them on (in Sydney, with full sun).

Sounds like I should be preparing the soil now? I might do that on Monday. Any tips? (for starters, if I go to Bunnings, what soil & nutrients should I buy and roughly how much will I need for the number of rhizomes I have).
And what about protection from wildlife?
I got pointed to this article, should answer some of your questions.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/articles/article91.html

Once a year I get a ute load of horse manure from my local pony club for $10, good cheap way to add organic matter to the soil and I leave what I don't use right away in a pile to break down further and use throughout the year.

image.jpeg
Moved the Compost bin along with all the compost from the previous house owner this arvo. Removed about half a bucket of lollie wrappers and other foreign objects.
image.jpeg
You can see the bin in its new location in the background. Nice evening for a fire, a few CPA's & a couple of Homies when the CPA's run out.
Tomorrow I'll be on the shovel prepping Zhome sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back