Hops First Aid System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdilley

Reaction score
I decided to get out the camera and take a photograph of the system I used to save some hops I was given (cheers Fraser John) that were in a bit of a state condition wise. It may help others who are having difficulty with theirs.

IMG_4651.jpg

This is the basic setup:
o 50 litre plastic containers from Bunnings on special at $9 each. (including lids - not shown; cheaper to buy than any pot this size)
o A few large bags of good potting mix
o Compressed bale of field pea straw
o Some worm poo tea (not shown)
o Aluminium (optional - name tags)
o Bailing wire or similar (optional - bird deterrent; doves love to steal your straw for nesting material)

Mulch is the single most important thing you can do to ensure that:
o moisture is retained and transpired slowly out of the system
o sunlight does not strike the soil and carbonise off the top soil layer
o there is a carbon/humus system that can be broken down by bacteria and fungi
o weed seeds are retarded in growth (a thicker top layer of mulch required than as shown for this feature)

If I was living in a hot dry ******* of a place like Canberra, I would increase the thickness of the top mulch layer considerably, up to 30cm max thickness which would be overflowing in these containers so adjust size accordingly.

IMG_4661.jpg

Here we see the layering going on in the containers:
o Small holes punched into the bottom of the containers for drainage (not shown)
o Layer of field pea mulch on the bottom for anaerobic bacterial breakdown cycle
o Middle layer of good potting mix to hold the rhizomes
o A very good layer of field pea straw mulch on top for aerobic bacterial and fungal breakdown cycle (any sprouting peas die and break down releasing nutrients back into the sub soil)

I have allowed the remaining field pea seeds in the top layer mulch to germinated and grow. A symbiotic relationship with nitrogen fixing bacteria in their root nodules will help provide additional plant soluble nitrogen to enter from the air into the potting soil which is not nutrient dense to start with.

Having other plants such as the field pea in the system provides a bait plant to white cabbage moth and other pests to give your hops a chance. Hops by themselves are a primary target for attack. The idea is to confuse and redirect, think of it as Gardening Aikido.

A single application of water diluted worm poo tea was all that was poured on the field pea mulch top layer. This provide a bacterial inoculation tea to help kick start the bacterial cycle.

The lids for each 50 litre container were allowed to rest on top creating a humidity trap and heat trap triggering the pea seeds to germinate faster by fooling them into thinking nice humid spring had arrived. This also kick started the fungal breakdown in the straw and a little more than a week later you can pull apart the top mulch layer and see white cottony fungal mycelium running through the pea straw. The soil to mulch interface layer is lovely and moist and still retaining a healthy soil smell.

IMG_4656.jpg

Here we can see two of the hop bines in poor condition with leaf damage, broken off bine growing tips and a chemical signal pulling the energy of the bines back into the rhizome.

IMG_4657.jpg

Here we see a Pride of Ringwood bine that was originally pulling back but after being in this system for just over a week has put energy into a side shoot which is emerging and halted the retreat of the entire bine back into the rhizome.

IMG_4654.jpg

Here we see two Goldings bines.

One is missing the growing tip but had not started receding the bine.

After being placed in the system it shows no sign of receding.

A second bine had broken through the mulch layer and is taking off.

The other receding bine is from a different container.

IMG_4653.jpg

Here we have the same scenario as already mentioned above.

IMG_4652.jpg

Here we see three Tettnang bines that were gone before planting. All have fully been absorbed back into the rhizome which has thrown off a single bine with full energy bursting through the mulch layer.

All of these hops are in first aid holding pattern until I get their final growing area on the farm prepared for their translplanting.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Have missed your threads mate.

This is the kind of stuff that makes AHB a good place to visit.

How would you go about transplanting these without disturbing the crazy root system too much? What signs are you looking for that says they would be ready?

Cheers Manticle,

The idea is not to leave them in the containers for a long time as the soil will start to compact and lose its aeration capability. Oxygen to the roots is very important and one of the reason why flood/drain Aquaponic systems are very productive compared to having plants in compacted and damp soil.

The transplantation will depend on the bed preparation technique. I am thinking of a double-dig deep trench and I will transplant each rhizome with the corresponding layers of bottom, middle and top layers. A final top dressing of additional field pea straw mulch and then one more diluted worm poo tea drench to inoculate the mulch with a burst of humus decomposing bacteria.

I have also ordered this DVD video:

Edit: Video Link
permaculture_soils_dvd-lg.jpg
permaculture_soils_dvd_back.jpg

Even though I know most of the Permaculture systems covered and will be using other systems including Keyline sub soil water techniques and Natural Sequence Farming, I wanted to see what the latest "Compost Tea" recipes are being used for introduction into my Broad-acre management program to bring the pasture grasses back into a state not far off to top English pastures. This involves a lot of forbs, weeds, legumes and Keyline ripping but I'm confident I can pull it off. While a bit off topic these teas are full of millions of bacteria and small soil creatures and nurture and protect plants against diseases including wilt like no other system can. This may apply to future hop first aid systems I run.

Gotta love mother nature when you work with her instead of against her!
(such as with artificial NPK, petrochemical poisons and sprays killing off all life in the soil)

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Seeing how those hops are going to die back and go dormant once winter hits i wouldn't worry about transplanting them. Just keep them nice and happy as they are to allow them to put as much energy as they can into growing a healthy rhizome. No mmatter how careful you be there will always be transplant shock. Once they die back completely just dig up the rhizome and store it till next year.

The other thing is, it may be a good idea to wrap those containers in a bag of some sort or paint the outsides to shield the soil from light.

Those plants look very happy!

Great info BP. Thankyou very much. Well written and very informative.

Geoff Lawnton reminds me of Howard Marks! He's find of a pint, but prefers 'cousin' to hops :D

howard%20marks.jpg

And Calamity Strikes,

SWMBO who was with Fraser John and I when we dug up and labelled the hops back in Autumn decided that a missing ring must have been in the tubs. Of course she digs everything out and now thinks the metal is just scrap metal and throws all the labels on the ground :eek: . Puts all the soil and straw back in the tubs and now I have no idea which rhizome is which <_< .

Of course she did not find a ring in there and is terribly sorry about the whole affair.

Just have to grow them out and take pot luck with what I am brewing with, that or just end up buying all new rhizomes to get started once again.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Just have to grow them out and take pot luck with what I am brewing with, that or just end up buying all new rhizomes to get started once again.
Ouch, that's not good.
But given the time and effort you will put into them to get them growing and cropping next year, it might be better to simply purchase some new rhizomes and plant them in the ground in spring. That way you know exactly what they are and there is no confusion or testing or uncertainty - it may be that some do not even crop in the first year so it might even be year(s) from now before you can even guess what your missing-label varieties are.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for your loss.

Chicks..... Stack m 10 high at the tip.

Bad luck mate. Seconding the repurchase of known varieties.

Latest posts

Back